Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense next year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,905

Defense next year

Dec 6, 2019, 11:48 AM

Do y’all think it will be a harder rebuild to replace Muse, Wallace, Simmons, and possibly Terrell than what we had to do after last season with the d line? I know turner will replace either Muse or Wallace. But outside of him it will be a lot of inexperience. Hopefully the mickens kid coming in next year will be a stud and can play right away. Our front 7 will be just fine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simmons is hands down the biggest loss next year.

Dec 6, 2019, 12:02 PM

Not that those other guys aren't great players, but Simmons is on another level and a luxury we won't have next year. Going to be interesting to see what Venables does there.

Re: Defense next year

Dec 6, 2019, 12:05 PM

Yes, we will have a defense and it will be top 10 or better. The front and Backers will be the strength, but we have one side locked down with Kendrick, plenty of talent on hand for other spots. We reload with 4 and 5 star talent now so very little to no drop in production.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 12:15 PM

This isn’t coot U. Dabo and Brent have got this Foosball thing figured out.

Dec 6, 2019, 12:12 PM

I really hate that Kyler McMichael transferred out, I felt like he was going to be a good CB.

That said, some of the young talent is really promising on the back end.

I don't expect that he'll be a starter, but I have been very surprised with Zanders this year, who I expected to redshirt. He's shown good speed and offered some pop on tackles and always seems to be in proper position.

Dec 6, 2019, 1:58 PM

Zanders loves when people doubt him. His abilities are GOD-GIVEN keep sleeping on him.

I believe in general that lockdown players on the back end

Dec 6, 2019, 12:18 PM

are ALWAYS harder to replace than good D-line players. A cornerback or other defensive back who can consistently cover any receiver one-on-one is relatively rare, and thus the NFL teams pay a high premium to get and keep them. We have talent to replace our cornerbacks and safeties, either already here or on the way.

Isaiah Simmons is a horse of another feather. He is really a Unicorn, and he may well usher in a new type of defense to the NFL. It is not so much that linebackers with his speed are rare, even though they are. It is that athletes of his type normally wind up at wide receiver, or DB. He may even wind up as a cornerback in the league, he certainly has the speed and hitting ability for it. Who drafts him, and how they use him, will be really interesting to see.

All that being said, I don't think you really replace him. You will probably see BV go back to a more traditional style of defense next year, once again making the best use of the talent pool at his disposal. Again, we have talent on hand and more coming in. In Brent Venables I Trust.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe in general that lockdown players on the back end

Dec 6, 2019, 7:00 PM

I'm going to use "horse of another feather." I love mixed metaphors.

Dec 6, 2019, 1:03 PM

Simmons and Muse will be the toughest guys to replace in my opinion.

I fully expect one of the young corners to fill in nicely for Terrell.

I think Turner will fit into the Wallace mold of being an especially smart player on the back end who is very disciplined for the most part.

I know Muse has been picked on in the past, but to this point he has performed really well against both the run and pass this season. His speed on the back end has saved numerous TDs by running people down in the past couple of seasons.

Simmons' play speaks for why he will be so tough to replace.

Our DBs are generally the least subbed starters on the team, so I hope that we can find a standout at each spot that needs filling rather than hoping we can get a few guys ready to spread the duties.

With Flowe and Jordan Burch

Dec 6, 2019, 1:08 PM

Clemson's defense would totally shutdown every team. Historic! Epic!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will probably be at least 2021 before those guys are

Dec 6, 2019, 2:35 PM

really ready to dominate. LBs, in particular, seem to take awhile to really learn and flourish in BVs system. Our older and less talented LBs are almost always more effective than their younger blue chip counterparts.

It will probably be at least 2021 before those guys are

Dec 6, 2019, 2:35 PM [ in reply to With Flowe and Jordan Burch ]

really ready to dominate. LBs, in particular, seem to take awhile to really learn and flourish in BVs system. Our older and less talented LBs are almost always more effective than their younger blue chip counterparts.

Two words - Andrew Booth***

Dec 6, 2019, 1:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two words - Andrew Booth***

Dec 6, 2019, 2:26 PM

And Sheridan Jones. They’re both gonna be studs.

Dec 6, 2019, 2:37 PM

I think Polamalu will get lot's of PT next year. He's usually the first safety in after the first 2 strings are out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 2:37 PM

I think Polamalu will get lot's of PT next year. He's usually the first safety in after the first 2 strings are out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 3:33 PM

Front 7 next year (and in 2021/22) will be the best we've ever had. Nasty and dominating! Corners should be fine. Safety is my only concern.

Overall, the defense will improve next year.

Call me crazy, but the biggest question mark in 2020 for me is the O-line and TE position.

Four words:

Dec 6, 2019, 6:25 PM

Number one recruiting class.

Dec 6, 2019, 7:08 PM

Every year we lose awesome players, yet BV rebuilds and makes the best use of what he has. His defensive adjustments are the most fluid in the country, not just week to week, but season to season as well. He will have the whole offseason to put together the next great defense.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,905
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic