Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I asked a friend of mine that played on the NC team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

I asked a friend of mine that played on the NC team

May 24, 2014, 11:36 AM

How he thought the 2014 Tigers would be. His answer surprised me. He said we lose to UGA, FSU, and SC and maybe slip up on another game. I don't feel that way at all. I'm excited about our chances. Our D should finally be good and I think our O will score points. He said as bad as he hates to admit it, he thinks Spurrier is one of the best coaches in America. He takes less talent and does more with it. I personally think we beat them down pretty bad in the valley this year but I have thought that several times over the last 5. What say you all? Do I have my head in the sand?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typical NC fan...***

May 24, 2014, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I'm thinking that......

May 24, 2014, 11:52 AM

your NC Friend might be 110% right...and then again you might be right.

Probably will lose to UGa in a close one due to size crowd, noise & band playing..get scalped at FSU if we get down as quickly as last year and essentially give uP.

And Yes, we could lose another one or two (Louisville and/or UNC)..plus to Coots.

BUT..I see only 1-2 loses "at the most" thru my Orange tinted glasses.

GoTiGERS1

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I asked a friend of mine that played on the NC team

May 24, 2014, 12:20 PM

I think The Tigers will be better than that. I don't believe there will be any blow out losses, including fla.st. Ga. will be tough, and there are several ACC teams that are going to be tough as well. The one game I'm almost sure of a win is,the one against s.c. It will be a hard fought, exciting game, but it will be a win for The Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How in the world can you be sure of the SC game? What have..

May 24, 2014, 2:45 PM

we done to foster such confidence?

Re: How in the world can you be sure of the SC game? What have..

May 24, 2014, 4:35 PM

Just a feeling, friend. I don't have any special inside information or knowledge. I've had a feeling about Clemson games three times before. Once against fsu in 2003, once against sc, spurriers 1st game against The Tigers, and once all the way back to 1980; when the Tigers beat sc and george the great, 27 to 6. We were underdogs all three times. More than likely we'll be the dogs this time also. All that being said, I wouldn't bet the family farm or your last dime on it. It's probably hopeful anticipation coupled with coincidence. I do believe we're going to set things back right this year.

If our coaches, staff and players have this mentality....

May 25, 2014, 7:57 PM [ in reply to How in the world can you be sure of the SC game? What have.. ]

we are doomed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If our coaches, staff and players have this mentality....

May 25, 2014, 9:07 PM

So far, we haven't had a team not prepared to play at the beginning of the season. We had teams come apart during some games, some due to trying to do trick plays when not needed, some due to fumbles , but for the most part, we were capable of beating any team we played. A few breaks here and there and we are a pretty darn good team most teams. Our defense should be better and our offense will still be pretty good, just different. You win with perfect practice and good execution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2014, 12:23 PM

Bet he had more phony credit hours than we have losses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2014, 12:24 PM

by NC team...is that Clemson NC team or were you saying North Carolina team?

I took it as UNC...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2014, 2:11 PM

I think he is referencing a '81 team member.

May 24, 2014, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I asked a friend of mine that played on the NC team ]

Clemson NC team 1981

May 24, 2014, 1:10 PM

I believe he is a little off base. I don't know how he says spurlid takes less talent and does more. I never thought their talent was poor. They are able to recruit great ball players without regard to character or grades/graduation expectations, get and keep them in school, and if one (or any other number of their players) doesn't work out he just pulls their scholarship and moves on like it's no big deal. All that said, he is a great X's and O's coach. He also is a huge jerk. That trumps the rest in my book.

Re: that summed it up well Dugatiger!

May 24, 2014, 9:58 PM

I think the tides have turned, starting this year!!!
Optimism is much nicer ;)
I'd rather admit I was wrong, than sell this Tiger team short!!!

Always underestimated....

May 25, 2014, 9:05 AM

Tajh is probably my favorite Tiger player of all time. I like him as a person and a player. However, I do think the coots were in his head a bit. I don't think that will be the case with Cole. He is a cool cat that will find the open man and will not make big mistakes. I think this is the year the tide turns.

May 25, 2014, 10:46 AM

Cole has done nothing short of taking the team down for a score (and I believe they all were TD's) every time he got in the game. His passes were better thrown, in most instances, than Boyd's, but he was not the scrambler that TB was, and that was pretty important in our offense. We do have better RB's for next season, IMO, and our OL should be considerably better than it has been in a long time (and it is about to be exponentially better over the next few years). Our future is very bright.

Cole will be fine as our QB, but someone else is going to

May 25, 2014, 2:27 PM

have to produce on short yardage running plays this year for us to be effective on offense.

It was way too tempting (not to mention effective) to just routinely call Tajh's number on 3rd & 2 the last couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how the coaches and the players respond to this inevitable shift in direction offensively.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole will be fine as our QB, but someone else is going to

May 25, 2014, 6:31 PM

Yes it will, but I do see our running backs as being better this year, and our OL should be improved, as well, and that also should help offensive performance all round. IMO

The returning RBs are healthy and the newcomers are a

May 26, 2014, 4:28 PM

potential talent upgrade. Having a guy like Wayne Gallman become a force like Todd Gurley would be a great scenario.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The returning RBs are healthy and the newcomers are a

May 27, 2014, 8:45 AM

And one we have needed for a long time, although James Davis was somewhat that type runner.

May 25, 2014, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: that summed it up well Dugatiger! ]

I thought the objective was to score not scramble. Cole did that. Sometimes the sub can do things the starter can't do. Just saying. Go Tigers

May 26, 2014, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: that summed it up well Dugatiger! ]

Thanks!

I would say he is about right.***

May 24, 2014, 2:43 PM

Re: I would say he is about right.***

May 24, 2014, 10:04 PM

Meh...agree to disagree :)

I'm not going to buffer or pad my belief in our guys, just to save face.
With improved lines on both sides & some somewhat tested players in skill positions...i can't see why we'd "drop off" so much!

Don't forget that we've got some guys set & ready for their breakouts, which they've had to patiently wait on their chances for behind the likes of Sammy, Tajh, & Martavis, etc...

You have North Carolina friends?***

May 24, 2014, 4:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not your head in the sand, just lying....

May 24, 2014, 5:10 PM

Spurrier isn't working with lesser talent. True he doesn't have anywhere near the overall talent he had at Florida. But SCU has been consistently in the top 20 in recruiting over the past 4 years. In fact once SCU started recruiting better under Spurrier, with a lot of Rock Hill Booster help, SCU started playing better. With lesser talent at SCU for his first 5 years, Spurrier only had the shamecocks at mediocre.

Working with less would be like what Frank Beamer has done at VT, a team that doesn't recruit top 20 classes.

May 24, 2014, 6:01 PM

That's a very realistic look at the season, given how Clemson had done against those teams the past few years. If we just had Sammy back I could see 11-1.

May 24, 2014, 7:00 PM

That is the national consensus just wanting to see results on the field after losing the most NFL talent ever established at Clemson.

Lots to replace will have to see if the hot shot young guys can step up

No reason to think they can't but not enough proof for most people outside of Clemson to care too much at this point.

Win at UGA and the season is on, lose and FSU, USC and maybe even Lousiville or UNC could be losses too

Tell 'em capon

May 25, 2014, 2:56 AM

lbc

May 24, 2014, 6:03 PM

i detect a chicken smell

May 24, 2014, 6:12 PM

you would be incorrect sir

May 24, 2014, 6:21 PM

I'm very optimistic about this years team. We have not had a defense this good in a long time and I really don't think we will have a major drop off on offense. Our running game should be better than last year and I think Cole is going to surprise a lot of people. I do not think UGA will be a blow out either way but I am actually expecting us to win that one. I'd say lose to FSU at FSU but I do think with our improved D we will beat the coots at home. So I say 1 loss and back to the Orange bowl for the 2014 season.

I believe one loss (especially to FSU) would put us

May 24, 2014, 9:17 PM

on the bubble for the tourney.

I don't think you have your head in the sand, but I

May 24, 2014, 6:27 PM

understand why people are doubting us. They don't know all the players, and only knew the stars- and we lost those stars (Tajh, Sammy, Bryant, etc.). To outsiders, we lost all of the big names we had. So I get why people doubt us, and why they would rank us low to start. This season in most polls we will probably be in the 18-23 range, and have to work our way up. Which is fine. It can be done. I see us going 10-2.

Tell 'em capon

May 25, 2014, 2:58 AM

lbc

I understand your 81NC team member friend

May 24, 2014, 8:44 PM

We started losing to USuC when Spurrier brought in Coach Elliott and they improved their OL. Until this recruiting season, Clemson had not focused as much on OL as the skill players. On Ford's teams you would always find quality linemen. The skill players may not be All World, but they would grind their opponents into the dirt. To a player from that era, Dabo's teams look very similar to the USuC teams that they regularly beat.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ellis Johnson

May 25, 2014, 9:36 AM

I really think the key for them was Ellis Johnson.

Sorry but those SCU teams in 80's never won an orange bowl..

May 25, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to I understand your 81NC team member friend ]

didn't have a high powered offense. And SCU's current team has only had an above average olinemen. And the kind Olinemen Danny had are vastly different from today's linemen. We had smaller athletic Olinemen under Ford. Another huge difference between the 80's and now is the style of offenses ran in college football. In the 80's teams were run oriented. Houston was laughed at for running the run and shoot, even when Andre Ware won the Heisman. You can't compare two completely different eras.

Spurrier doesn't take less talent and do more.

May 24, 2014, 9:13 PM

Spurrier is willing to cut his players, so he picks up more players that are a gamble. He certainly makes them much better players than they are, but much of that is from him picking up 3 3-star players at one position and cutting the ones who don't pan out.

I've learned over the years to take a game-by-game

May 25, 2014, 9:50 AM

approach, while being highly optimistic at the beginning of each season.

Thus, until proven otherwise, I'm not ready to cede any of our games, not even FSU, which will be unrealistic to many. But then again, I have a live and let live attitude toward others, which allows me to indulge in my own thoughts.

GOOOOO TIGERRRRRRRRRS!!!!! STOMP ALL OF THEM!!!!!

If he is indeed a member of that 81 team...

May 25, 2014, 10:22 AM

Then he no doubt remember how his team got to the national title, despite only so-so expectations early in the year.

This team is strikingly similar on defense. The only difference is we don't get Tulane and Wofford to warm up with before facing a Dawg team with national aspirations.

Your friend needs to look more at heart and less at what people say about us.

He should know better. After all, he's been there.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM

All coots should have their heads in the sand

May 25, 2014, 10:33 AM

Oh and btw..."friend of mine" lol

May 25, 2014, 1:55 PM

What are you saying?

Most of the replies to you just show the idiocy of the mange

May 25, 2014, 2:02 PM

If we played tomorrow, we'd be underdogs against UGA, FSU, and SC, and you yourself say you don't agree with your friend.

I could see a former NC team member saying that however. That being said. I think we have a great shot against UGA and SC, and wouldn't be surprised if we win in Tallahassee.

Still, we have several other tough games. Heck, we could have lost to BC and State last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of the replies to you just show the idiocy of the mange

May 25, 2014, 2:11 PM

Here is what I don't get. Is UGA and SC not in the same situation or worse than we are? UGA... new QB and lost a ton off of defense. SC...New QB (although he has had playing time and has beat us ) still he is not the athlete Conner Shaw is and they lose Clowney and other on defense. Heck, there secondary should stink.. Why are we the ones that are seen as the ones starting over. Why are we the underdogs? Our D should be awesome this year.

Well, UGA is on the road. Have we ever been favored there?

May 25, 2014, 2:25 PM

SC lost about the same amount we did, but like us have a lot of untested talent. I think I'd give us the slight edge at home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no sahme losing to better teams...UGA, FSU and USC

May 25, 2014, 2:03 PM

your friend obviously knows football.

UGA better?, then why did the dawgs go back to athens crying

May 25, 2014, 2:06 PM

and your fans wanting to fire Mark Richt, after we beat you worthless inbreds last season. Oh by the way we are starting to get your states best players.

Clemson Tigers, the best team from the state of GA in 2013.

Re: UGA better?, then why did the dawgs go back to athens crying

May 25, 2014, 2:27 PM

we always want to fire the coach when he loses games we should win. i never said we were the better team last year....but i think we are this season. Morris can't possibly replicate that offensive production after losing 95% your play makers....more especially in the first game of the season where mistakes will surely abound.

Re: no sahme losing to better teams...UGA, FSU and USC

May 25, 2014, 2:21 PM [ in reply to no sahme losing to better teams...UGA, FSU and USC ]

Seriously? I know UGA has been a better team at times but they weren't last year and they certainly aren't this year. Our D shut your running game down last year. Do you not think we can do it again with the same players plus some? Your QB may one day be good but there is no way he will be as good as Aaron Murray was last year. The UGA D won't be any better than last year especially in the first game with a new coordinator. I don't care who you put on our offense, a Chad Morris offense will score points.

UGA 222 yards rushing last year. We played good but didn't

May 25, 2014, 3:06 PM

shut 'em down.

I would say we "wore them out" more than shut them down..

May 25, 2014, 9:34 PM

Both Marshall and Gurley were in pain in the second half and less effective as I recall. Gurley got most of his 150 yards on one play in the first but did score on a 12 yard TD early in the second half.

After that our defense really stepped up until a late drive to put the Bulldogs back in it with an onsides kick try the waning seconds. Beasley and Anthony were harassing the heck out of Murray for a spell there too in the second half. I thought we beat them up better than the final score indicated, similar to the USC game last year minus all our TOs.

If our front seven can step it up and hold Gurley from breaking any long ones in the first half this season then I think we can grind one out even in Athens. If not, then it might be a long day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the record. UGA is tossup & good play on current odds &

May 26, 2014, 12:28 PM

FSU is a certain loss. SC is a win if Dabo can hold his own. Agree with your ball playin' buddy that Spurrier is one of best offensive game day coaches in the game. SC streak against CU is unfortunately not a fluke. SC has won with emotion, game plan and toughness. We have been outcoached and outplayed by a significant margin these past 5 years. T-Netters who don't get that choose not to. And this year it changes in Tiger Town on the backs of our D-Line. Tigers 27 - SC 24.

Re: For the record. UGA is tossup & good play on current odds &

May 26, 2014, 4:09 PM

I too think the UGA game will be a toss-up. F$U should beat us, unless they are distracted by the cover-up circus surrounding the Crab King. Too early to guess about the SC game. I think our D won last years game vs. BC, and I think the will win a few more for us this season.

Re: For the record. UGA is tossup & good play on current odds &

May 31, 2014, 12:56 PM [ in reply to For the record. UGA is tossup & good play on current odds & ]

I agree with you for the most part; they've had The Tigers number, and they've won convincingly, but I believe The Tigers could have and should have won this past year. This one hurt worse than the previous four.

fsu may be a certain loss, but I don't expect it to be a blow out, in fact I believe it's going to be a battle to the wire.

May 31, 2014, 1:07 PM

Why is everyone thinking that UGA will be better than us? They have about as much question marks as we do. Other than their running game, they have many questions at WR and QB...and that O Line is very suspect...We will have a very very stout Defense next year so I am not THAT concerned about Gurly and co...

I think it will be a good game and closer than what people think...outside of the suspensions on both sides, I like our chances here with our seasoned QB...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic