Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm struggling a little today....real life stuff.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 642

I'm struggling a little today....real life stuff.....

Nov 18, 2020, 8:39 AM

Was out of town again last weekend with my daughter and when we got on the plane to head back home on Sunday, I got word that a girl at my kids' school in my son's grade (junior) had committed suicide. Beautiful girl who ran cross country with my kids and was a little quiet, but seemed to have a reasonable circle of friends, none of whom saw it coming.

I remember when this happened to me in HS, and it's like watching it all over with my kids, as it's the first time something this emotionally heavy has smacked them in the head. My daughter is taking it the worst, as there is a sister in her grade who she is really worried about. Difference now is that all I can think about are the parents (great people) who have an empty seat at the Thanksgiving table this year and forever.

I think for a lot, if not most kids, middle school and high school pretty much suck, and I imagine social media makes it infinitely worse. I just wish there were some way to let these kids know that no matter how bad or good your school years are, they get infinitely better post-graduation. Just sucks to see such a bright light snuffed out for nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think school is a million times tougher now with

Nov 18, 2020, 8:43 AM

social media/online bullying and then the pandemic adding additional stresses. I feel terrible for that family and for your kids. My wife has had a kid at her school who she was always worried about that happening to and luckily, she made it through High School last year. Life gets better for these kids but sometimes they are so blinded by the current happenings. I really worry for my kids, next 6-10 years may be really weird times.

Good luck to your kids and their friends, going to be a tough few months.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks man....I do wonder if the whole virus thing played

Nov 18, 2020, 8:47 AM

any role. Sometimes I forget that there are people who are really, really scared about all this virus and quarantine stuff. Don't know how political the girl was, but social media has sure done a good job making it seem like end times if your particular candidate lost also.

If you're young and have no reality/BS filter developed to see through the hyperbole, I can understand not visualizing a light at the end of this crappy 2020 tunnel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, this Pandemic is causing family stressors at home that

Nov 18, 2020, 8:48 AM

kids can take on themselves. Little things can really start to add up. I have to start being more careful about what I talk about to my wife around my kids. The 9 year old eats up EVERYTHING, the boys currently DGAFF.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree completely

Nov 18, 2020, 8:45 AM

no secret that I coach the same age and gender as the young lady you referenced. I have seen the growth of social media corresponding with rising levels of anxiety, and, I would imagine, depression. When I first started, it was the kids from divorced parents I had to watch for, now, it's every single one of them because of societal pressure from IG mainly, and VSCO.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup, the reactions are even worse on social media.

Nov 18, 2020, 8:54 AM

One girl who transferred out of the school a year or two ago posting "It's all your fault" to the "cool girls" who were posting "RIP"....

Another post referencing how she was found.........It's just an open forum for unfiltered comments from people who don't have the benefit of wisdom, decorum, and discretion that come from age and experience.

Digital technology is sort of a Pandora's Box.

Nov 18, 2020, 9:00 AM

Fantastic uses that make life easier, but I truly believe it will also be the undoing of human society before it's all said and done.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

couldn't agree more, amigo.***

Nov 18, 2020, 9:02 AM

I agree with you completely, but it's Andora's Box

Nov 18, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Digital technology is sort of a Pandora's Box. ]

Pandora is a music station.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Bruh, it is a TINY country, but it deserves to be spelled

Nov 18, 2020, 9:35 AM

correctly. Andorra with two "r"s

Lord forgive me for posting this under a serious thread, but

Nov 18, 2020, 9:40 AM

I have to set Greenr straight on this one.

Actually I looked and it's spelled Endora when talking about Endora's Box.

From Encyclopedia Britannica Online:
Endora's box is a reference to the ginger vaginer of the magical mother-in-law portrayed by Agnes Moorehead on the TV sitcom Bewitched. In modern times an idiom has grown from it meaning "Any source of great and unexpected troubles", or alternatively "A present which seems valuable but which in reality is a curse".

I got this correct at TTT Trivia night

Nov 18, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Bruh, it is a TINY country, but it deserves to be spelled ]

Something about a tiny country near France.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you spell it correctly?***

Nov 18, 2020, 9:47 AM

3rd grade classroom spelling bee champ

Nov 18, 2020, 9:48 AM

What do you think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weren't you homeschooled?

Nov 18, 2020, 9:57 AM

Probably made the champ bc you were banging the teacher. (and the other students)

I am very thankful the only social media around

Nov 18, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Agree completely ]

in my day was Myspace and Facebook. It wasn't as easy to hide behind an avatar on those platforms and it truly was a social interaction with only your closest of friends or friends that your friends knew. But this open network of being able to interact with someone from thousands of miles away that you never meet has allowed a false sense of being to kids that already were having difficulty.

I also was in xbox live lobbies from 2006 onward and that really put some hair on my chest. I genuinely feel for children nowadays and can see how youtube has affected the anxiety of my youngest niece on Red's side. My nephews make a new instagram account every few weeks to try and get their follower count up because they think thats all that matters anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Dang, that got me in the feels...

Nov 18, 2020, 9:11 AM

and your social media comments are right on the money. I am struggling now to figure out a way to prep my kids for it. So far, I've got nothing. For my 11 yo daughter, I don't let her have tik tok or instagram. But she does certain have text groups and messaging and I can already see that getting bad sometimes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A really smart person I know that works with that age said

Nov 18, 2020, 9:23 AM

a while back that we have created a digital Lord of the Flies situation.

It's a society completely run by people with underdeveloped frontal lobes.

Sorry for you and your kids. It's so hard to find a balance between being there for them and pushing them away because you are doing too much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

wow, that's actually pretty profound.***

Nov 18, 2020, 9:24 AM

Sorry dude.

Nov 18, 2020, 9:36 AM

While I was in MS and HS, right around the late 90's and early 00's, I think I went to school with about 5 or so kids that killed themselves. Many of them appeared to be copy-cat type situations. Like 3 in a month or something like that. There's been more, now that we're in our 30's that I've heard about.

At that time, a few of them were the goth types, obsessed with Columbine, listened to Tool, or whatever. Not sure what the indicators are these days.... There may not even be any.

So sad.

Listening to Tool makes Obed want to kill himself, too.***

Nov 18, 2020, 10:03 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hang in there sir! *****

Nov 18, 2020, 9:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unplug social media. Really.

Nov 18, 2020, 9:57 AM

The bad outweighs the good. Having to scroll through a bunch of narcissist posts, and political garbage, just to see the latest news from church, scouts, or the neighborhood, just isn't worth it IMO. And I can only imagine how this translates to kids in those trying years of middle and high school.

The church can send a newsletter. The scouts can just keeps us informed over email. The neighborhood can just keep sending their emails and newsletters. I've unplugged most social media, never really participated, and do so less now than ever. Doesn't impact me at all. It's harder for kids to do that though socially, as that's the "social" part of social media that is anything BUT social.

Imagine the kids back in the day you knew, who were awholes talking to you face to face. Imagine giving THOSE kids a means to communicate faceless, to hundreds of people. NO WAY. Gown men and women are bad enough on social media. I can not imagine what kids go through.

Praying for the family. We had a similar situation in our neighborhood not long ago. Driven in large part by social media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one of my greatest fears as a parent***

Nov 18, 2020, 9:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Sucks and yes, it is an epidemic. Happens far too often.

Nov 18, 2020, 10:36 AM

Social media plays a role, as do the general times we live in.

Sorry to hear this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 642
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic