Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
coots.smh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

coots.smh

Oct 5, 2016, 7:19 AM

nothing seems to ever change down there.

By Phil Kornblut

On April 30th, USC coach Will Muschamp tweeted out a pair of “Spurs Up” alerts indicating he had accepted two commitments. That day RB Kyshaun Bryan of Ft. Lauderdale and WR Shawn Smith of Brunswick, GA acknowledged committing to the Gamecocks. Bryan still is. Smith is no longer, and apparently it wasn’t by his own decision.

“He committed and cut everybody else off,” said Smith’s coach Larry Harold. “We went back up there in July. I thought he had a good trip. They talked to the family and talked to him. We haven’t heard from South Carolina since then. He’s been trying to get in touch with them. I’ve been trying to contact them and haven’t received any phone calls back and I began to get worried. He was supposed to take an official this (past) weekend because he’s going to be an early enrollee.”

“Finally, I got a coach to call me back,” Harold continued. “I’ve seen them accept several wide receiver commits in the last couple of months. I know this game and I know how it is and once he told me they weren’t calling him back and they wouldn’t call me back I began to get real worried. Finally, they called me and basically what they did was renege on his scholarship offer and offered him a grayshirt instead which is not going to work for him. He comes from a single parent home, he has a child and he’s already done the enrollment process. He’s going to graduate early and was looking forward to enrolling at South Carolina. This has kind of left the kid stuck out to dry.”

“I have tremendous respect for coach Will Muschamp,” said Harold. “I’ve known him from his time at Florida and those coaches. But this is the side of recruiting nobody knows about. There will be comments on Twitter, people bashing him, but they don’t know the other side when you have this kid you really want but I guess somebody better they feel comes along and basically the kid is hung out to dry. Now this kid has to start the recruiting process all over again. We honored his commitment and cut everybody else that was recruiting him off.”

“I’m just really sour right now because when it comes to my kids, they come first,” the coach continued. “My whole thing was, if you had led us know in July or August that you after some guys that were a higher priority, it could have been better for him because he could have had other schools actively recruiting him. I’m not trying to bash South Carolina. The numbers game is what it is. But these coaches throw these offers out and this kid committed, put his whole life on hold, and now he’s stuck holding the bag. He had no other choice but to decommit.”

This development could have even greater effect on USC. The Gamecocks are recruiting Harold’s 2019 standout offensive lineman Warren McClendon who happens to be the first cousin of Gamecock recruiter Bryan McClendon.

“I’m not going to commit on that at this time,” Harold said. “I’m really hurt at this time at how they handled this situation with Shawn. I understand the numbers. I think two of the guys were from the state and they felt like they were first priority and I understand that, but give the kid, give me a call and let us know early on instead of waiting until October. He graduates in December and now we’re going to have to scramble to try to find another school for him to go to. He’s a great kid and he did what he was supposed to do. When he committed he literally shut everybody else off. And now he’s stuck holding the bag. My heart goes for him.”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone please C&P above to this thread.

Oct 5, 2016, 7:29 AM

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/shawn-smith-de-commits-good-luck-to-him.204048/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: coots.smh

Oct 5, 2016, 7:39 AM

Here comes @Classless09 to defend his coaches pathetic actions.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

And here we go. First bridge burned.***

Oct 5, 2016, 7:44 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Oct 5, 2016, 7:50 AM

Sucks for the kid. Hope he finds another school soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 5, 2016, 8:04 AM

Give me our 'cheerleader' ANY day over this guy.

Honestly '09, it is not your place to (have to) defend this guy, etc., etc., and thanks for not even trying. Better luck to you and the rest of Gamecock nation in finding a more worthy coach with integrity once USC gets rid of Muschamp.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

sucks for the school. hope they find another coach soon***

Oct 5, 2016, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

Oct 5, 2016, 7:52 AM

Wow, didn't even have the decency to pick up the phone for a kid who had pledged to your program.

Oct 5, 2016, 7:53 AM

Teams should lose a scholarship anytime this happens. This is not what college football is about and if I am the coach I am not apologizing because I understand the numbers game. I'm sending this to every coach in the country. This is just plain unethical.

null

Oct 5, 2016, 8:52 AM

Would it really be better for the kid to spend 4 years on scholarship with the coaches having no intention of he kid ever playing?

I'm not sure.

Guess it wouldn't depend on the kid. But I would think most kids would have some expectation of having a fair chance to play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 8:58 AM

hence a phone call to tell him he is no longer wanted. are you that freaking stupid. oh wait, what am i saying.

As his coach said, they should have told them

Oct 5, 2016, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

in July and August and not avoided their phone calls after Ortre committed. What the scumbag coaches were trying to do was push this until it was too late and the kid would have to take a GS. All info should have been laid on the table in July.Big time coaching staffs have no problem telling the truth upfront.Pretenders have to lie.

Yes..omg yes.. frick man. I kid all the time about how

Oct 5, 2016, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

Worth less a degree from scar is..but dang man.

It is a college degree! 99% OF COLLEGE ATHLETES GO PRO IN SOMETHING ELSE.

A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE.

any of this sinking in?

Some kids use their math skills to get into college. Some use their violin skills, othere use their rich daddy skills.

If you have none of those, you can hopefully use your athletic skills.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 5, 2016, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

Yes...we are talking about college football. The promise of a scholarship is more than just a spot on the football team it is an opportunity to earn a degree, something many of these players never have the opportunity to do outside of football.

It is this kind of thinking that is causing coaches not to think twice about pulling scholarship offers. These are still student athletes and by turning away other opportunities because he was committed to SCar could now prove detrimental for his entire life. I know it sounds dramatic but that is the situation coaches are putting high school kids in.

null

Oct 5, 2016, 9:39 AM

They offered him a scholarship... it just wasn't at the time the player wanted it.

Did you not read the article?

Oct 5, 2016, 9:45 AM

Yea and then they basically jerked that offer AFTER he had committed. That is ###### up and once again you are here defending those actions.

Dont give him a committable offer if you aren't prepared to keep your end of that deal.

Oct 5, 2016, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

No they offered him a grey-shirt in which the player would have to pay for his first semester. Actually 2 semesters based on early enrollment. Let just say that the players parents cannot support him for the next year, in or out of school. He doesn't really have the option to wait especially when he was told months ago he wouldn't have to.

null

Oct 5, 2016, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

whats really sad is he would play at usuck - probably a lot. there is very little talent and clearly no one there can coach. so, whats the issue?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Well ibdammed '09!!...

Oct 5, 2016, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

...after I go out on a limb (yeah, that would be a positive/supportive response to you on tnet), then you go and do THIS ^^^^?!?!

### girl?!?!

Okay! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME!

YOU are dead to me.

AMF

GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Stoooooooooooop. Just...stop. You're embarrassing yourself.***

Oct 5, 2016, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

null

nice try coot

Oct 5, 2016, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

The article couldn't have been any more clear about what they did that was flat out wrong. They demoted him to a grayshirt, which he never would've committed to in the first place, without telling him. Then they completely cut off lines of communication in order to avoid his and his coaches attempts to clarify this. As a result, they completely screwed him over and the article clearly lays out how this is so with no fault to the kid.

Did YOU not read the article?

Wow...just wow !!!!

Oct 5, 2016, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

Just when I though you had reached your capacity for idiocy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What gives you any confidence they would have honored ...

Oct 5, 2016, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

...the gray shirt offer?

Re: What gives you any confidence they would have honored ...

Oct 5, 2016, 4:29 PM

That's a fair question.

Yeah, and he is supposed to have faith in their integrity to

Oct 5, 2016, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

honor THAT gray shirt offer when the times. C'mon man! Admit it. Y'all haven't had a coach with any integrity down there since.....who, Carlen? Sparky maybe?

Only the scum do that***

Oct 5, 2016, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

Oct 5, 2016, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: coots.smh ]

oh here he comes I knew it wouldnt be long before Classless attempted to justify it.

I am surprised that Korncoot wrote that story....

Oct 5, 2016, 9:13 AM

does not reflect positively on muschump at all ....

Re: I think, even . Kornbutt has had enough of him.***

Oct 5, 2016, 11:56 AM

Re: COOTS are just a bunch of screw ups.***

Oct 5, 2016, 11:49 AM

at least SOS waited

Oct 5, 2016, 9:15 PM

to have some success before alienating his lifeline of high schools, Chump wants to get a head start.

I sincerely hope this article gets emailed to every

Oct 5, 2016, 10:24 PM

chicken recruit before NSD.

usuck has been ethically challenged for a long, long time and this is merely symptomatic of the lengths they'll go to have success in football---this is exactly how Spurrier built his winning teams there....Muschamp learned a lot at Spurrier's alma mater.

Another Florida HS coach several years ago banned usuck from his program for doing this exact same thing.....bet that little anecdote wasn't in Spurrier's new book

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic