Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SQL server peeps.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 189

SQL server peeps.

Nov 10, 2020, 7:59 PM

I have a littel Synology NAS (I think... I know its Synology) server that I use for work. We have a shared folder on there that is linked to everyones computer so everyone can have access to files no matter who received them. Basically all our project files are on this server and the server pushes it out to all of our computers. Those files are actually saved on to our individual hard drives as well by the server.

I use AutoCAD Plant to do piping models and drawings. We saved it on the server, but just realized when we creat the project, you have to decide if it is to be saved as a local project or on an SQL server. We have always used local because typically the projects are small enough that one person can pretty much handle the whole piping design by themselves. Plus, we thought that since it was saved to the Synology server, and that pushes out to everyone, that everyone would get the latest.

But apparently not. Apparently Plant overrides the push. The guy that has been doing everything so far has his latest file date as 11/06/2020. Mine shows 07/09/2020. The actual server, which is supposed to be the latest up-to-date file shows 06/10/2020 because that is when it was created. So clearly it is not taking the latest (11/06/2020) and replacing the existing with the latest like it does every other file. Again, I am assuming this because we set it up to be local so the local file is the one that is ever accessed.

Now onto the question. I have no idea what an SQL server actually means or does. IT gurus, do you think that we could use the Synology server (which is basically just a huge hardrive that pushes out to everyone what anyone else saves) as the SQL Server or is there something else that I need to get or setup?

Again, sorry if something isnt explained well... I am not overly familiar with this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SQL server peeps.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:20 PM

Why not just share your working network folder, and map it to each user's machine? You can set a GPO to the OU your users are in to update the mapping on login.

SQL server should work though. I think Synology just uses MySQL. Autodesk Vault uses MSSQL, but Stnology runs on linux, or you could just setup vault basic for free.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The folder is shared.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:23 PM

And it says it is up-to-date on my side as well as the other guys. If I log in to the server, it shows that it is there and shared... just all the dates on the file are completely different. Most of everything else you said has completely confused me.

Re: The folder is shared.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:30 PM

The push to local machines part has to be the focus

If the server is pushing files, then you're probably seeing created dates. That date is when it's written to the local machine. You may have received it after someone else. That date would show that.

What's doing the push? Manually? Custom scripts? If it has overwrite rules, it could be stopping the push if there is a file existing there already. Can you modify any read/write rules?

I am not sure. How it typically works is like this.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:44 PM

We all have the "Active" folder on our computers. It is mapped to the "Active" folder on the server. If I save a file in the Active folder and I am connected to the internet, my computer is synced with the server and my computer saves the file to the server. Then if Steve (thats what we will call one of the other employee... because thats his name) is connected to the internet, the server saves the file to his computer as well. Now we both have the file.

If Andy (another employee) is at the plant and doesnt have internet access, then he does not receive that file yet. However, he has everything that the server had when he was last connected to the internet. Then say he save a file to the Active folder. Then he goes home and connects to the internet. Now his file is saved to the server and the server saves his file to everyone else's computer and the server saves the file I saved to his computer as well. Now everyone has the exact same thing again.

My plant project.xml file is definitely different than Steve's. His is the later date one and his has everything in it... mine has very little even though the server says everyone is up-to-date. His file is clearly not replacing the one on the server (file date is July) and the server is clearly not pushing it out to everyone. I do not know why. The interesting thing is, it is only that .xml file that is not being pushed. There are drawings that the date is the latest one my computer, but the have to be opened through the project.xml file when you open plant. With that file being from August or something, it is bringing in August stuff... not the latest.

Re: I am not sure. How it typically works is like this.

Nov 10, 2020, 9:22 PM

The problem is the pushing component then. But honestly, that seems like a horrible system. So many questions.

How do you ever trust that you have the latest?
If it always is reliant on ther internet, why push the file? Why not just just access the latest copy as needed?
It sounds like you work on the same projects simultaneously. You could use a PLM type system to have a check in, check out workflow. But, it sounds like the tool you have may be trying that. That's what SQL is likely doing. Revision control, and #### data on the files.

If you use vault, you browse through similar to explorer, but catered to CAD type workflow. You can double click to open a file and get latest subsequent files. It asks you if you want to download the files, use your existing local copies, get children files (think x ref in autocad), etc.

I'd look into the push pull tool you're using. See if it has overwrite privileges on your local machines, not just write. That could block the push

Re: I am not sure. How it typically works is like this.

Nov 10, 2020, 10:25 PM

If the SQL server was set up correctly with all the needed fields & the database, should they not be able to just force push the files based on a modified date instead of a created date? Seems that would be the easiest fix, along with not allowing 2 users to modify a file simultaneously. I may be misunderstanding the issue though, as this seems to be too simple of a fix.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Replies: 6
| visibility 189
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic