Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Vanilla play calling didn't make Trevor miss throws
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Vanilla play calling didn't make Trevor miss throws

Aug 30, 2019, 8:17 AM

he normally makes or basically throw 3 bad INTs (one of which was dropped).

TL is an incredible QB but he didn't have a great game last night. I'm not worried about him in the slightest because we all know he could go out and throw for 350 and 4 TDs next week against A&M, but i just find that vanilla play calling excuse funny. Sure we were more conservative than we will be in some other games, but when Trevor was asked to throw last night he looked rusty. There's really no need to spin it. We don't need to manufacture excuses for the best player in CFB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vanilla play calling didn't make Trevor miss throws

Aug 30, 2019, 8:33 AM

Yeah, its crazy that people wanna freak out about one game. It was the first game of the year. I'll be concerned if we are having this conversation after the third game.

Aug 30, 2019, 10:30 AM

I think that you are right that it is key that it is the first game of the year. It is tough to get timing down in practice compared to game play. He's still the same quarterback that carved up 2 top 5 teams in the playoffs last year.

I would also say one bad interception. He knew the situation with the one at the end of the half. With only a few seconds to go you throw it up and hope for a completion or interference. Had it been at a different point, I am pretty sure he throws it away or takes it out of bounds.

Agree, he was off and staring down WRs...

Aug 30, 2019, 8:39 AM

I'm confident he will straighten it out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and it's great when your QB can have one

Aug 30, 2019, 9:50 AM

of the worst game of his life, and you stomp the other team into the turf!

hey ####### it is the first game***

Aug 30, 2019, 9:56 AM

Re: hey ####### it is the first game***

Aug 30, 2019, 1:52 PM

He’s probably tired from that national championship game.

Aug 30, 2019, 10:01 AM

Shocker, I agree with you. I was saying in the first half the passing game looked terrible last night strictly because the execution was bad. It had nothing to do with play calling.

Obviously nothing to freak out over. It was the first game of the year, mistakes happen. At least it will light a fire under their ### next week against a quality team.

I am in complete agreement

Aug 30, 2019, 10:12 AM

That was easily the worst game I have seen Lawrence play in college, and it was still a massive blowout. He was so good in all the games he played last year that I think everyone forgot he is human and is going to make mistakes. I'm not sure what he was thinking on some of those throws, but many were off the mark and the interceptions were just bad decisions.

He's a phenomenal talent, so I have no doubt he'll be throwing with laser accuracy and shredding defenses sooner than later...and if he does have another bad game...well we also have a phenomenal running game and a not to shabby D.

Ok***

Aug 30, 2019, 10:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Aug 30, 2019, 10:21 AM

Clearly wasn't his best game. But the one INT that he made the tackle in could have been on the receiver. It looked like he was expecting the receiver to make a quick slant but didn't which allowed the DB to be right in position for the pick. Not concerned about TL

Aug 30, 2019, 10:40 AM

No chance. That was 100% on Trevor. He saw the DBs hips turn, thought the coverage was bailing deep, and threw the out. The coverage wasn't bailing though and it gave the DB an easy pick. He just got fooled but it was 100% Trevor's fault.

Aug 30, 2019, 12:19 PM

Exactly right. Great play by the safety who took a huge chance and it paid off with a pick. If Trevor has any idea the safety was going to jump that play he would have hesitated a second and that would have been a TD. Plus Trevor was not staring down receivers. On a couple of quick throws that were incomplete, those are timing plays and our guys were either not open or covered. That happens. On the long TD throw he looked right and wound up throwing left to Higgins. He made some mistakes, but not because he forgot you are not supposed to stare down receivers or was confused.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 12:35 PM

After watching it again, it was the cornerback that jumped the route. He totally disregarded the receiver and it looks like the safety was coming over to pick up the receiver if he turned upfield. Good play by GT.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2019, 10:25 AM

I think it was a great game for TL to learn from. The kid very rarely makes the same mistake twice, maybe one of his best qualities as a QB. Watch out once we get it clicking in the passing game.

Aug 30, 2019, 11:05 AM

My whole thing with the 1st interception is - why? Why that play? Far hash to far sideline on a 3 yard out? OK, TL16 has an incredible arm. Even if he makes the completion what did we get - 3 yds. But what if he doesn't. Pick 6 more times than not. Thankfully TL16 effort prohibited that. But to me that is high risk, low-to-no reward play. Tuck it and run or throw it away or throw it to someone else....regardless who fooled who with whatever coverage.

And no I am not an alarmist - I am simply expressing my opinion about that one single play.

Betting lines on responses to this comment are currently:

O/U on "Tell em coot" is 5.7
O/U on "Its the first game" or some variation is 4.9

Aug 30, 2019, 1:47 PM

He said in the post game interview he thought the corner was bailing and it was an easy out, meaning the receiver would have caught it with plenty of space to turn upfield. Corner made an incredibly athletic and gutsy play because if he was wrong, that’s a touchdown.

TL threw a perfect pass to Ross for a TD that no one seems to be discussing, but the defender grabbed Ross’s face mask before the ball got there. The pass still hit Ross in the hands and was dropped. TL ran it in for the touchdown on the next play.

TL did look off on some passes, but hard to say if it was timing. Receivers have to run a good route and be where TL expects them to be. It’s likely a mixture of the two.

The second pic, TL said it slipped out of his hand basically because he was trying to throw it out of bounds.

I’m really glad these mistakes happened this game so we can learn and get it behind us.

I’m not a fan or pulling TL in the third. I’d much rather see him play the entire third quarter, regardless of score, and work out those kinks. But I understand coach’s philosophy to play as many people as possible.

TS; DR***

Aug 30, 2019, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Vanilla play calling didn't make Trevor miss throws ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

TL; DR***

Aug 30, 2019, 1:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic