Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Threatening to Cancel DirecTV if they Carry SEC Network ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Threatening to Cancel DirecTV if they Carry SEC Network ...

Aug 1, 2014, 9:21 AM

I don't want any of my money going to the sec (scar in particular). Planning on calling to threaten cancellation if they carry it.

I wonder if DirecTV subscribing members of Clemson Nation would be a large enough sample size to make them stand up and take notice. If a bunch of people threatened cancellation they might wonder how many others are out there with the same viewpoint.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Threatening to Cancel DirecTV if they Carry SEC Network ...

Aug 1, 2014, 9:22 AM

You don't watch any SEC games during football season? I find that hard believe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DV Reaper.....what will be your source of college football?

Aug 1, 2014, 11:58 AM

And where do you live? If you live in the south I just read that every cable and satellite provider will have the SEC Network as part of their basic sports tier (Direct has indicated they will be adding it). See article linked below.....this article was one of the reasons for my thread about why Notre Dame needs to join the ACC in football. Also, the way I read this you will not have a choice if you live in the south....we will all be paying an additional $1.30 per month to the SEC.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/sec-network-revenue-is-impressive-073014

From the article:

The SEC Network will be a tremendous success at launch, being available in right at 75 million homes. That will equal ESPN and the SEC's stated goal for a nationally distributed channel. It will also make the SEC Network the most successful sports television launch in cable and satellite TV history. While DirecTV hasn't yet officially announced that it will carry the network, they reached out to Outkick two weeks ago to let everyone know that they planned to carry the channel. Already there have been official announcements from Dish Network, AT&T Uverse, Comcast, Time Warner, GoogleFiber, and Cox. The only real drama will come in whether DirecTV has it at the official launch or it takes a couple of weeks after launch. Regardless, it's a very good bet that DirecTV will have the SEC Network rolled out by August 28th for the first games.

Aug 1, 2014, 9:24 AM

Huh? I guess it's a matter of opinion. I have Directv and have no problem watching SEC games. KNOW YOUR ENEMY. Anyway - it's probably extra for that and I won't pay extra for that - at least not yet. :)

DirecTV doesn't give a bowel movement what anyone thinks..***

Aug 1, 2014, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2014, 9:38 AM

@CUAtTheFinishLine® : It's one thing to watch a sec game on a network that also shows Clemson games and games from other conferences. It's another thing when part of my bill goes directly into the pockets of the sec.

@StreakingTiger : if there is an additional cost that's one thing but I have a feeling that it will be like the B1G Network. I'm pretty sure I have the lowest package DirecTV offers and the B1G Network is included in my package.

This is brilliant. Can someone put together a clear letter

Aug 1, 2014, 9:39 AM

To DirecTV stating that I do not want SEC network and don't want and of my money supporting them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2014, 9:40 AM

And what are you going to switch to? Every cable and satellite provider will have it.

To answer your question- if every Clemson fan in the universe boycotted the sec network it would be like taking a one dollar bill out of a pile of 100s stacked 100 stories high.

Aug 1, 2014, 9:46 AM

At this point only dish is on board. Lots of options if you don't want it. Besides who wants to watch the bad SEC teams play each other? All of the quality games will be on ESPN or CBS.

null

Actually, DirecTV is the last holdout. It's everywhere else.***

Aug 1, 2014, 10:26 AM

Stop it with the facts! Let us continue to complain w envy

Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 PM

The sec network is going to be a pain in the @ss for all non sec teams. And I'm not just talking anot fball. Whatever, just win baby

Tell 'em marlborocountycoot

Aug 1, 2014, 1:43 PM

fno

Tell 'em old man***

Aug 1, 2014, 3:07 PM

This thread really exposed the coots!***

Aug 1, 2014, 9:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll watch the SEC Network daily crime update show

Aug 1, 2014, 9:45 AM

that's about my only interest. Should be one of their most popular shows, with the amount of material available.

Anybody know what time that will be on? I need to set my DVR.

The games they have slated to air are absolute crap. You will almost never have the need to watch one of them, as there will be so many better ones on at the same time.
2014 SEC College Football Schedule (subject to change):
Date
Time (ET)
Game
Thu, Aug. 28
6 p.m.
Texas A&M at South Carolina

9:15 p.m.
Temple at Vanderbilt

Sat, Aug. 30
Noon
Tennessee-Martin at Kentucky

4 p.m.
Arkansas at Auburn

7:30 p.m.
Southern Mississippi at Mississippi State

Sun, Aug. 31
7 p.m.
Utah State at Tennessee

Sat, Sept. 6
Noon
Florida Atlantic at Alabama

Noon
Arkansas State at Tennessee

4 p.m.
Eastern Michigan at FLORIDA

4 p.m.
Nicholls State at Arkansas

Sam Houston State at LSU

Lamar at Texas A&M

Sat, Sept. 13
Noon
UCF at Missouri

4 p.m.
Louisiana-Lafayette at Ole Miss

Kentucky at FLORIDA

Sat, Sept. 20
Noon
Troy at Georgia

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once DirecTV carries the SEC Network, it will be everywhere.

Aug 1, 2014, 10:10 AM

So where exactly would you go after that?

Re: Once DirecTV carries the SEC Network, it will be everywhere.

Aug 1, 2014, 10:29 AM

There are LOTS of ways around paying for cable/satellite and some of them are even legal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it'll just be 1 of those hundreds of channels never watched

Aug 1, 2014, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Once DirecTV carries the SEC Network, it will be everywhere. ]

like the Big 10 Network. I think I've watched that once in the 4 years I've had it. I watched a Nebraska-Northwestern game, that's about it.

Admit it, except the TAMU-SCAR game, there's absolutely nothing worth watching on SEC channel. Are you gonna watch the 500 replays of Alabama/LSU/Auburn historical propaganda shows? SCAR will have about 2% of the programming focus on that channel, like Vandy and Miss St. - gonna be disappointing for those fans. Baseball is the only remote interest I have in that network.

The ACC Network will be basically the same when it comes too. At least it promises to have some decent basketball games on it, unlike wretched SEC basketball. But it will be overrun with UNC/Duke crap 50% of the time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it'll just be 1 of those hundreds of channels never watched

Aug 1, 2014, 2:25 PM

Might want to review your tourney bracket in reference to your wretched SEC basketball quote.

Aug 1, 2014, 10:27 AM

I agree and I'm not currently subscribed to any cable service or I would do the same. If they add it to a pay tier I wouldn't care but the SEC is pushing to be a part of the basic tier and basically using price fixing strategies with their other networks to strong arm the providers. If they pull it off it will be rolled into your next round of general price increases and most people will shrug it off and not associate the increase with the SEC network. The cable cutting movement is real and cable and sat providers are fighting shrinking subscribership, But, ESPN is powerful and they have effectively mobilized a loud SEC fanbase to rally for this network. If they successfully get this network on the basic tier of a majority of US cable/sat subscribers it will be a major blow for parity in college football. The $20 million dollar a year you hear Coots crowing about is based on having this network included in at least 50 million (roughly half of all us cable/sat subscribers) homes as a part of a basic cable package. They are nowhere near this number now and letting your cable subscriber know you don't want it can't hurt. If you're a DISH or ATT Uverse subscriber make a switch and tell them why. If you switch to Directv tell them why you made the switch. Cable providers are listening as the try to fight the eventual migration of everything to the internet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not touting DISH but from what I saw subscribers with their

Aug 1, 2014, 11:15 AM

basic package don't have to pay more but don't get the SEC network. It was about $20 per month. They will have to pay for an extended package at about $35 per month to get the SEC Network. As long as it's a choice, I don't care. I cannot find clear pricing on all of the other carriers as to whether they're going to force all subscribers or just the ones who choose to pay more. I would say no. I think that the sticking point with Direct TV negotiations.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think it would a whole heckuva lot

Aug 1, 2014, 10:28 AM

It would just mean instead of watching Lsu vs Georgia on a Saturday night you'd get stuck watching big ten or PAC 12 games.... I hate those conferences as far as entertainment value goes. I have absolutely no interest in any of those teams.

They don't have the LSU- Uga game. The best game All season

Aug 1, 2014, 10:31 AM

Is UK vs UF!

I have no problem with the sec network, at least its not a

Aug 1, 2014, 11:18 AM

network covering just one team...And the ACC will have a network next year.

I love college football and watch it from the time it comes on saturday morning until I can't hold my eyes open anymore saturday night/sunday morning. Don't care of its D-2, D-3, etc. just love the game. So for me the more options the better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Wonder how Coot fans like the early kick off time thanks to

Aug 1, 2014, 11:27 AM

the SEC Network. Until a few weeks ago, their game vs aTm was scheduled as the third game of night with a kick off at 7:30 or 8:00. Once the network solidified it's plans, the game was moved to 6:00. They better hope there's not much traffic that day. aTm fans are just screwed.

Those are some p- poor games. Did they hire ex Raycom people to set those up?

The early 6 p m kick is because

Aug 1, 2014, 11:38 AM

it is the undercard to the heavyweight vandy-temple game at 9 p m

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

secheat couldn't stand not having the 1st game on thurs.***

Aug 1, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Wonder how Coot fans like the early kick off time thanks to ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Aug 1, 2014, 1:21 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. On FaceBook this morning someone posted that Charter doesn't carry the SEC Network. I really don't know because I gave up cable about two years ago. Could not be happier. I've a Roku box for Netflix,Amaz>n etc.. I have a Netgear converter to put streams from the computer to the T.V. I have DSL so I get ESPN3 for my sports viewing. Have not missed cable at all.

Just saw where Charter is finalizing the deal and is about

Aug 1, 2014, 1:52 PM

at the same place with the SEC Network as Direct TV is.

The games listed here are only for mostly the first month but they don't look attractive.

I am dumber for have read this***

Aug 1, 2014, 2:05 PM

Re: I am dumber for have read this***

Aug 1, 2014, 7:37 PM

Apparently.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic