Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty?

Jan 11, 2018, 5:11 PM

Doesn’t matter that they weren’t matched up in the semis. That ENSURES at least 1 SEC team. I think we were unfortunate to draw Bama since we were the #1 seed, but they proved they belonged in the playoff and you couldn’t rank them above any other team in the playoff this year.

Clemson and Oklahoma had the opportunity to knock both teams out, and neither of us pulled it off. End of story.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty?

Jan 11, 2018, 5:15 PM

You need to get the 4 best teams and I think that happened this year. Hard to argue at this point Bama should have been left out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't like the idea of 2 from one conference, in a 4

Jan 11, 2018, 5:22 PM

team playoff. Just think, if Auburn had beaten us in September, the push would have been on for 3 SEC teams in the playoff! You may say well, it's the four best teams! How do you know that? There isn't enough inter-conference play to really determine that. So, it's the damm eye test, the dumbest thing the Espin pundits have ever come up with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because 2 CONF champs get left out again

Jan 11, 2018, 5:35 PM

if Wisconsin didn't have to play their conf champ game, they would have been in.

Auburn was top 4 before their conf champ game. Winning your division shouldn't be punishment.. having to play a conf champ game shouldn't be a punishment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Exactly - but it is,***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I disagree... you don’t need to get the 4 best teams!

Jan 11, 2018, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty? ]

YOU NEED TO GET THE 4 TEAMS THAT EARNED IT.

Heyull, why do we even play the regular season if we are just going to put who we think are the 4 best football teams into the playoffs?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reckon we ought to hand the trophy to Bama and New England evey year right?***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:27 PM

Since "best" is entirely, 100% subjective, might as well.***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:31 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Bama beat us like a drum and beat UGA.

Jan 11, 2018, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Reckon we ought to hand the trophy to Bama and New England evey year right?*** ]

They earned it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama beat us like a drum and beat UGA.

Jan 11, 2018, 5:39 PM

So they earned their playoff berth in the playoffs? I don't think that's how its supposed to work.

We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to

Jan 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

AU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost week 7, Bama lost week 12.

Jan 11, 2018, 5:49 PM

We played for a Conf Champ and won, Bama didn't and didn't.

Teams 4-9 were "razor thin" prior to Conference Championships and after Bama was "unequivocally better" even though two teams in 4-9 played with one winning while Bama did not play.

Re: We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to

Jan 11, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to ]

not sure why he refers to 'we', sure does not sound like a we in his posts?

What does being a Clemson fan have

Jan 11, 2018, 7:27 PM

to do with this question. I'm a college football fan. want the 4 best teams. It was pretty easy to see Bama was better than Ohio State.

Bama also played a relatively weak schedule

Jan 11, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to ]

and their best regular season win was against Mississippi State.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I get that, once given a shot, they took care of business.

Jan 11, 2018, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Bama beat us like a drum and beat UGA. ]

They whooped #### - no doubt about it.

They just didn't deserve that shot. They didn't deserve it for the same reason Auburn didn't deserve it, or Wisconsin, or Syracuse for that matter. Any of those teams could have gone on a roll and won it had they been given a shot they didn't earn. It wouldn't mean they were the best team, however, it would just mean they won.

- H. L. Mencken

Exactly. Conference championships are not only

Jan 11, 2018, 5:29 PM [ in reply to I disagree... you don’t need to get the 4 best teams! ]

unnecessary, they are a handicap. In fact, conferences themselves are unnecessary, and a hindrance under the current set up.

- H. L. Mencken

Let's say a team lost 3 non-confernce

Jan 11, 2018, 5:36 PM [ in reply to I disagree... you don’t need to get the 4 best teams! ]

games, went undefeated in their conference and won their conference CG.

You'd actually want them in over a 1 loss team that everyone acknowledges is one of the four best?

Re: Let's say a team lost 3 non-confernce

Jan 11, 2018, 5:40 PM

That's irrelevant as it's not the scenario that played out this year and would never occur.

I agree with you. Conference champs only

Jan 11, 2018, 5:55 PM [ in reply to I disagree... you don’t need to get the 4 best teams! ]

The committee says they want the four best teams, and they make a subjective decision about who they are. Then everyone screams that we need to expand the playoffs. I think you combine the two: The committee can pick the four best teams, but the pool that they pick from should be only conference champs. That can include all conferences, not just Power 5, if the committee thinks some other teams is among the four best conference champs. This way, the conference championships become the first round of the playoffs, and playing and winning those games matters.

Was Alabama the best team this year? It's hard to argue otherwise (although no one proved they could beat UCF). But, in my opinion, they didn't deserve to win the national championship when they didn't even win their division, much less their conference.

This opinion might bite me when Clemson's only loss is a 1-pointer to an undefeated FSU, but I'm willing to risk that. Every game becomes part of the playoffs. Earn your way in or be left out.

And if Notre Dame wants to retain their independence and not play a difficult 13th game, they can watch the playoffs on TV too.

They proved they were the best team in the playoff...

Jan 11, 2018, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty? ]

they did not prove in the regular season that they deserved to be in the playoff!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2018, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are folks still upset about 2 SEC teams in the Natty? ]

You're right it can't be argued now. A 4 team playoff is all we need. If Bama wasn't deserving then Clemson or Georgia would've won. End of story.

Last year Ohio State didn't belong and we proved it 31-0. You line up and beat the team in front of you or go home.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Bama and UGA two best teams.

Jan 11, 2018, 5:17 PM

Should have met in finals.

No they weren't.***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:25 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Yes, they were;)***

I say they weren't. ;-)

Jan 11, 2018, 5:33 PM

See how that works? You know where I'm going with this. :)

- H. L. Mencken

I'm glad two SEC teams were in the NCG...

Jan 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

because that way at least one was guaranteed to lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

^^^Just like a schizophrenic coot ..

Jan 11, 2018, 5:27 PM

"We won!! :D We lost!! :("

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I'm not upset, but one of those teams did not earn their

Jan 11, 2018, 5:25 PM

way in like the others, and instead of being penalized for that failure, they were rewarded anyway and given some advantages unavailable to those who earned it.

- H. L. Mencken

We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to

Jan 11, 2018, 5:44 PM

AU on the road. Miami plays in the ACC Coastal, Bama in the SEC West.

Every team doesn't play every other team. Conference champs means a lot but shouldn't mean everything.

We lost week 7, Bama lost week 12 with no week 13 to make up

Jan 11, 2018, 5:47 PM

for it.

Good reasoning, but totally subjective.***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to We lost to Syracuse. Bama lost to ]

- H. L. Mencken

im complaining that yet again another non

champion got in over 2 Conference champions.

Bama winning didnt prove anything.

Who is to say OSU wouldn't have done just as well, of CFU, or USC

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It sure didn't prove that they were the best.***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:32 PM

- H. L. Mencken

I was upset Clemson didn't make it***

Jan 11, 2018, 5:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2018, 5:54 PM

Wonder if SEC stews this much over all the ACC teams that make the basketball tourney year after year? Every year we begin March madness with at least the possibility of an all ACC final four.

Jan 11, 2018, 6:18 PM

I'm not upset about two SEC teams being in the Natty, but rather the way the CFP Committee selects them.Bama didn't play for the Conference Championship and had only one loss, but a 2 loss Ohio State(and one of those was to Oklahoma) gives Wisconsin it's only loss yet they(Wisconsin) are left out.And so was Ohio State, but mostly for the lopsided loss they had to Iowa.
It's about consistency and credibility.And I think the Committee has neither.
There needs to be some importance on Conference Championships vs losses.
There also needs to be some more emphasis being placed on Strength of Schedule.Bama's sucked.
But it is what it is, and we have to live with it.
But I sure didn't have to sit there and listen to ESPN hype up the ESecPN.

Jan 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

Bama should have been three and Oklahoma four....week off and drive a few streets over to the Super Dome is BS.

Jan 11, 2018, 7:02 PM

I don't know why people are complaining. The playoff committee continues to show us that they choose the 4 BEST teams every single year. Not the 4 best deserving.

Just wait till the SEC gets 3 teams in ... that will be a

Jan 11, 2018, 7:10 PM

hoot

Jan 11, 2018, 10:49 PM

Why are you upset about people being upset ?

DB23

Jan 12, 2018, 1:49 AM

Why are you upset that I’m upset about people being upset?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's upsetting our board balance***

Jan 12, 2018, 5:20 AM

DB23

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic