Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I agree with the thesis of this article.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 452

I agree with the thesis of this article.

Nov 19, 2019, 6:55 AM

Been saying it for a while and it’s not just about DJT.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/op-ed/bs-ed-op-1118-rome-burning-20191118-ox6vhpnunzfc5olrx3avjv3evi-story.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had to look up a couple words.

Nov 19, 2019, 7:38 AM

like, poltroonery.

I think the Dems are more about politics than saving the Constitution, and I guess the Pubs are more about judges and getting re-elected than speaking the truth about Trump. Seems like Trump turned the pump on backwards when he started draining the swamp.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if I had to pinpoint when this began in earnest, I'd say it

Nov 19, 2019, 10:26 AM

was Dubya's run up to the Iraq War. ######## intelligence about WOMD, no coalition, etc. He basically started a private war. Not. Good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if I had to pinpoint when this began in earnest, I'd say it

Nov 19, 2019, 10:57 AM

I would concur with this as the moment things really started to take a turn. This was more of a result of Cheney's interpretation of the Constitution that the executive branch could do whatever it wanted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: if I had to pinpoint when this began in earnest, I'd say it

Nov 19, 2019, 7:53 PM [ in reply to if I had to pinpoint when this began in earnest, I'd say it ]

We agree for once. Thats when facts stopped mattering.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, please

Nov 20, 2019, 12:41 PM [ in reply to if I had to pinpoint when this began in earnest, I'd say it ]

George W. Bush's administration never did anything without solid legal backing. This idea that the Bush administration had a "private war" and thought it could "do whatever it wanted" is just more hyperbole and historical revision.

Progressives only pay lip service to constitutionalism, which they mostly see as an impediment when it's viewed as anything other than a loose set of principles that enable their vision. Donald Trump has neither vision or care about legal authority. Everything is post hoc with him because he doesn't know or care about political norms. That's a different thing than George W. Bush or progressivism, even if progressivism might be more dangerous in the long run.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had to look up a couple words.

Nov 19, 2019, 7:49 PM [ in reply to I had to look up a couple words. ]

Hopefully on Dec 11, you’re comment will fall flat.

Re: I agree with the thesis of this article.

Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 AM

Yep, this is a good piece. I loved this line:

"This is a sea change in government, an abandonment of ethics and values on a scale very possibly not seen since Caesar’s rise to power. It’s also a domestic variety of dastardly Chamberlainian appeasement — and though thankfully not equal in consequence, it’s equal in principle, encouraging Trump to dare increasingly brazen violations of his oath of office."

I have felt we have empowered the executive branch too much over the last few decades with disregard to our Constitution, and now we are truly being tested on it with a demagogue as president.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I don't think the executive branch has been actively

Nov 19, 2019, 10:57 AM

empowered over that time. Rather it's a passive empowerment based on the legislative branch generally abdicating their power and duties by putting their heads in the sand when it comes to potentially unpopular topics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think the executive branch has been actively

Nov 19, 2019, 7:34 PM

Agreed. It is hard to weigh in on difficult issues when you'll do anything to get re-elected. It's become about raising money and talking a lot about things that don't actually effect most american but may inflame their passions.

Congress has suffered a less than 20% approval rating for 3 decades. Yet, we American's re-elect incumbents 95% of the time.

Unfortunately, we've got the government we deserve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2019, 7:58 PM

Most Americans have the attention span of a gnat. We worship fame and celebrity and continually mistake Hollywood Actors and Famous Athletes as people of importance. We are led like sheep by small snippets of “news” and edited content purposely designed to create and reinforce social and political beliefs. People unwittingly accept this manufactured reality that strips them of the capacity for independent thought.

Nov 20, 2019, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I don't think the executive branch has been actively ]

I would say, if I was having a conversation (cough, cough!), that a very non-partisan voter reform act that many have proposed is a possible answer here.

Rather than (cough, cough!) hold an audience I'll just let Jennifer Lawrence do the heavy lifting. The girl makes sense:

https://mashable.com/video/jennifer-lawrence-political-system-corruption/

The stuff about the Constitution is mostly melodramatic

Nov 20, 2019, 12:38 PM

The stuff about the potential for long lasting problems because of Trump's character seems right to me. As I think you believe, the penchant for ignoring the Constitution in order to achieve preferred ends has been around for a while. But the American people should bear at least as much of the blame for abandoning constitutionalism as the politicians they elect should bear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 452
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic