Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking at defensive trends. South Carolina has gone from
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 5,412

Looking at defensive trends. South Carolina has gone from

Jul 12, 2014, 10:31 PM

269.2 total yards per game in 2011, to 314.3 in 2012, to 354.7 in 2013; from #3, to #10,to #21.

In those years they have lost players 2 to 3 key players per year that have not been replaced. My orange colored glasses say they will take another drop this year without Clowney,Quarles,Sutton,and Hampton. I don't see anyone of that caliber coming in to replace them. Add to that, the loss of Shaw who bailed them out on many possessions by running and converting 3rd downs, and I think they may end up with an average year.

One more thing to consider, the coots defense only defended 66 plays per game last year. That was in the top 10 in the country. If they finish in the 30 to 40 range at about 73 plays per game, their stats could explode on defense this year....

For what it's worth, the Tigers are trending the other way since Venables took over. And last year, the Tiger defense actually allowed less yards per play than did the Coots.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team/clemson-tigers/stats

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looking at defensive trends. South Carolina has gone from

Jul 13, 2014, 12:05 AM

If the coots go 8-4 this year they should be thrilled!

Jul 13, 2014, 12:26 AM

Ellis Johnson left after 2011 season and Lorenzo Ward took over and Ward's half the DC Johnson is.

Jul 13, 2014, 12:46 AM

It's OK, Ward can get in a shoving match with his assistants on the sideline and that should help.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2014, 2:22 AM

Coot

As long as they give up at least 1 more point

Jul 13, 2014, 8:18 AM

Than we do the Sat after Thanksgiving, all the other stats won't matter.

Go Tigers! End the streak!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Jul 13, 2014, 9:03 AM

SC's strength on defense the last few years has been their pass rush. With guys like Clowney, Quarles & Sutton up front it was extremely hard to game plan around them. However they were very average to even very bad at times stopping the run. Florida had absolutely zero passing game last year and nearly beat them by running straight at them the entire game. I'm not at all familiar with the guys they have coming back this year, but I'm willing to bet they're nothing close to the level of pass rushers as the three guys they're replacing. I'm thinking SC is going to take a huge step back defensively this year.

Jul 13, 2014, 10:21 AM

there won't be a dry eye in the house!

Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 AM

I have a friend who coaches our high school defense and the coaching staff goes to coot practices and he says Lorenzo Ward will get exsposed this year. They don't have the players this year to cover up his coaching.

Jul 13, 2014, 11:15 AM

I have been maintaining it since the draft . The Coots are in for an awakening this year ...or should we say a return to normalcy. They are a 5 loss team. I would be shocked if they beat TAMU in the opener.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 13, 2014, 7:37 PM

Texas A&M has a horrible defense and they will probably lose to the gamecocks, but I think Kentucky and/or Vanderbilt will surprise the gamecocks. They will probably lose to Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee if the Volunteers can produce a decent offensive line. Eight wins, four loses sounds about right, but seven and five is not out of the question.

Jul 13, 2014, 9:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if A&M beats the coots. Sure, SC is the more talented team and "should" win, but SC often plays bad in openers. I'm sensing SC is way overconfident in this one and feel they're giving very little respect to the Aggies because Manziel is gone and like you said their defense was horrible last year. If the Aggies come out and get a couple early stops on defense and punch SC in the mouth with a couple scores it could get interesting. It sure would be sweet to have SC lay an egg with the whole country watching in the debut of the SEC network on that thursday night.

Jul 13, 2014, 9:24 PM

Aggies by 12

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

while i agree they will take a step back on defense

Jul 13, 2014, 11:21 AM

i wouldn't base that on the number of plays defended. they are gonna be able to run the ball on just about everyone (i actually think our front 7 matches up against them better than anyone on their schedule) which will control TOP and limit the plays their defense is on the field. If anything, that number may go down.

I am not basing it on plays defended. I am basing it on

Jul 13, 2014, 11:32 AM

players defending.

Re: while i agree they will take a step back on defense

Jul 13, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to while i agree they will take a step back on defense ]

They have a veteran Oline returning , but that doesn't always equate to the success that you feel it will when looking at it on paper. If D Thomas or James' lil brother doesn't perform well or are injured the days and nights will grow long for the Garnetians. They are not going to be a top 40 defense , no matter where you look they are playing thin at the position and the high level talent of the last 4 years is all but gone.

DB23

Do you think it will be a little easier to defend the

Jul 13, 2014, 12:25 PM

run game without the threat of Shaw scooting around the corner?

I agree with that.

Jul 13, 2014, 2:32 PM

I also believe the same can be said about Clemson's run game without Boyd. Same principles are in play for both teams.

Boyd was a bruiser that could get tough yardage...but

Jul 13, 2014, 3:45 PM

he often scrambled right into the hands of a defender when their was phantom pressure...

So who really knows who will perform better?

I agree with that. Bruiser on 3rd and short. Not so sure he

Jul 13, 2014, 4:14 PM

was very good at the zone read.

Boyd and Shaw both made defenses respect their rush ability

Jul 13, 2014, 7:21 PM

Boyd with his bruising style up the middle and Shaw with his speed to the edge. The question is will Thompson and Stoudt be able to force defenses to respect their ability to rush the football? The answer to that question will go a long way toward determining the overall success of each teams run game.

Re: while i agree they will take a step back on defense

Jul 13, 2014, 2:19 PM [ in reply to while i agree they will take a step back on defense ]

They won't be able to run the ball and control time of possession if their defense is giving up third down conversions and points. They will be playing catch-up, which means they must throw, throw, and throw some more.

They will be exposed...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is everyone basing this off veterans returning or how they

Jul 13, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to while i agree they will take a step back on defense ]

have looked against their own D? If it is the latter, then I'm sure their oline looks like world beaters...

Replies: 22
| visibility 5,412
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic