Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Athlon Sports has Dabo as the 5th best coach in the country
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Athlon Sports has Dabo as the 5th best coach in the country

Jun 28, 2017, 5:58 PM

Basically, I think they knocked him down because in their criteria they say they value coaches more involved in X's and O's than the CEO type. I personally think that this is dumb criteria because the overall objective of a head coach is to win. Who gives a crap how you get it done as long as it's done within the rules. He's 1 of just 4 active coaches that even has a Championship on his resume. Put Saban and Meyer ahead of him and I won't have a big issue, but if you put anybody else ahead of him, then I have a problem with that. They put Harbaugh and Fisher ahead of him.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2017

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, Harbaugh

Jun 28, 2017, 6:00 PM

Dont understand the infatuation with that man

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lol, Harbaugh

Jun 28, 2017, 7:08 PM

In this day and time , our society puts value in anything that is hype and phony. Anything with a touch of REAL is never considered great and Dabo is as real as it gets!

#ALLIN
#WE2DEEP

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2017, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Lol, Harbaugh ]

you have to understand.he's from the mighty big ten,and even more important,michigan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Because he's turned around every team he's ever coached in

Jun 28, 2017, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Lol, Harbaugh ]

A short period of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way he's the 3rd best coach... at this point anyway***

Jun 28, 2017, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Lol, Harbaugh ]

Jun 29, 2017, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Lol, Harbaugh ]

I agree. What has he won? The Big Mouth of the Year Award? His Michigan teams are like all the other Michigan teams. When it's crunch time they fold. They beat the heck out of the weak sisters but shrink against the big brothers. No way should he be in the same sentence as Nicky, Urbane and Dabo.

Jun 29, 2017, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Lol, Harbaugh ]

Harbaugh=0 Championships and a failed NFL career

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Athlon Sports has Dabo as the 5th best coach in the country

Jun 28, 2017, 6:02 PM

Well this offseason he is the #1 coach in the country...and will remain as such until they crown another one champion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

What had Harbaugh accomplished to be ranked so high

Jun 28, 2017, 6:04 PM

Dabo and Jimbo and each accomplished a lot more than Harbaugh. A lot more.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Jun 28, 2017, 6:08 PM

Honestly I can't see urban above him especially at 0-2 against Dabo. In Meyers 2 p5 jobs he has been handed the keys to programs littered with phenominal athletes and sorry divisions of football (sec least and the whole big ten). Right now dumbo has Dabo heads up and has a NC as well. So that's hard to argue. Nick Saban at 1 no one can argue, I don't know that anyone will match him (although I think Dabo may be the only one that can).

FSU has way more "built in advantages" than Clemson

Jun 28, 2017, 6:23 PM

Since that's suppose to be a major criteria to raise or drop a coach on the list, that would have to be a severe knock against Fisher in Dabo's favor.

Objectively speaking on Harbaugh

Jun 28, 2017, 6:43 PM

he's a good coach. But it's ridiculous to have a college football coaches ranking where he's listed ahead of Dabo. Dabo's done more and won more.

Athlon is very confused.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bullshat. 1 thru 4 all coach at "shingle schools".

Jun 28, 2017, 6:46 PM

Schools that have a long history of winning championships and being very highly ranked. They are all Blue-Bloods of college football. They all traditionally have top 10 recruiting classes and have for decades. If you are a good coach, just hang your shingle out front, and the recruits come-a-runnin' and the wins start piling up. This is true for every one except Dabo Swinney. He had by far the least tradition to build upon, the toughest recruiting job, the least money to work with, and the biggest climb by a looooong shot. If any of that means anything, then Dabo Swinney should be ranked number one at this point in time, hands down.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Im really sick of Michigan. They have a lot of

Jun 28, 2017, 9:19 PM

wins but I am 68 years old and they have one National Championship in my lifetime. That would be 1997, which they shared with Nebraska.
Harbaugh may be a good coach, but he hasn't earned any stripes to be rated so highly.
The media loves them but neither Michigan or Ohio State compare to a Florida State , or Florida and many others, including a small university in western SC.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Partially agree and partially disagree. That's a solid

Jun 29, 2017, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Bullshat. 1 thru 4 all coach at "shingle schools". ]

notch in Dabo's cap and plenty to justify ranking him 3rd ahead of guys like Jimbo Fisher, but that can't be the only thing you look at. Urban has 3 titles and Saban has 5. They've both won titles at multiple schools, and they had to prove themselves elsewhere before getting those elite jobs.

LSU wasn't a powerhouse before Saban got there. They had a fertile recruiting ground and were probably something of a sleeping giant, but they won a grand total of 54 games during the entire decade of the 90s (including bowls). Saban improved the team from 3 wins to 8 in his first season and won the Peach Bowl. In his 2nd year he knocked off a Tennessee team that was otherwise on it's way to the BCS title game to win the SEC. They went on to win the Sugar Bowl and finish 10-3. 2 years later he won the national title in year #4 at LSU.

It took him 3 years to win a national title at Bama and they also had an undefeated regular season in his 2nd year before losing to Tim Tebow and the eventual national champion Florida Gators in the SECCG. And you know what? Bama wasn't particularly good before Saban got there either. They had 1 SEC title in the 14 or 15 years between their national championship in 1992 and Saban's arrival.

Saban, Meyer, and Fisher had much easier paths to

Jun 30, 2017, 9:19 PM

building national powers and winning national championships than Dabo. When Saban took over at LSU, they had had consecutive Top 15 finishes as recently as 2 years prior to his arrival. Alabama finished in the Top 10 one year prior to his arrival there, and ranked #11 five years prior.

Urban Meyer took over a Florida program that had endured three seasons of Top 25 finishes following a solid decade of Top 10 finishes which included a National Championship. He then took over an Ohio State program that had seen a National Championship and six Top 5 finishes in the ten years prior.

Clemson had one Top 15 finish eight years prior (#14 AP in 2000) to Dabo taking over in 2008. Clemson had not seen a Top 10 finish in eighteen years. When you compare the state of facilities and money behind the programs when all of them took over, it is inarguable that Dabo had much farther to go and much less to work with than any of them.

This is not a knock on Saban or Meyer, as they are great coaches and belong on this list.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 28, 2017, 6:54 PM

There is so much talking out the side of their mouths, the biggest question could be, do they even have a clue of what they are saying, probably not. I'm betting that they are talking while hoping someone wants to listen!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you put a guy who never won a conference title (at

Jun 28, 2017, 9:21 PM

Stanford and Michigan) ahead of two guys with National Championships?

Probably similar to how some people try to justify putting

Jun 29, 2017, 11:33 AM

Dabo ahead of guys with 3 and 5 titles, respectively.

FWIW I do think that Harbaugh is an excellent coach and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins a title at Michigan provided he can actually stick around long enough to do it. The biggest knock (and concern going forward if you are a Michigan fan) is that he seems to burn out quickly and job hop.

My top 6 would probably be Saban > Meyer > Dabo > Petersen > Harbaugh > Fisher. I'm trying to balance accomplishments/resume with raw coaching ability (which is obviously subjective).

Harbaugh's unrealistic high ranking is easy to

Jun 28, 2017, 9:39 PM

comprehend when one accepts that Athlon is owned by Vatican Tours, LLC......??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that Dabo is a great CEO and runs the

Jun 29, 2017, 11:23 AM

program like a finely tuned machine. However....I think he knows a ton about X's and O's. Just my $0.02.

Re: I agree that Dabo is a great CEO and runs the

Jun 29, 2017, 1:08 PM

Of course he does. Where this narrative came from that he doesn't is just mind blowing to me. I think the coots started it with the cheerleader narrative just to make them feel better.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic