Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Q&A with running backs coach Andre Powell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Oct 11, 2010, 1:20 PM

Clemson running backs and special teams coach Andre Powell met with the media in the West Zone Monday and answered questions about the running back rotation. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The defense needs to stop blitzing for harper to succeed?

Oct 11, 2010, 1:34 PM

nm

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep...thats what he said. Unbelievable!***

Oct 11, 2010, 1:36 PM

The whole conversation sounded like he was careful not to

Oct 11, 2010, 1:39 PM [ in reply to The defense needs to stop blitzing for harper to succeed? ]

blame himself for AE riding the pine.

WOW... Powell, I guess you don't think your job

Oct 11, 2010, 2:13 PM [ in reply to The defense needs to stop blitzing for harper to succeed? ]

could be at stake. Step up or step out!

Re: Q&A with running backs coach Andre Powell

Oct 11, 2010, 1:41 PM

Powell said a whole lot more than printed here.

Yep, and none of it good or make me feel better about him

Oct 11, 2010, 1:49 PM

coaching

He's an even worse receruiter than a coach

Oct 11, 2010, 1:50 PM

And before you say "look at our backs," check out the recruiter of record for them.

AP sucks. Period.

I agree he isn't coaching well but how could he not be a...

Oct 11, 2010, 2:08 PM

good recruiter? RB is the one position in which we are loaded for many years. McDowell, Buice, Lane, Bellamy, etc.? did he not recruit these guys? Unless your point is to say that Harper is a let down.

I believe Jeff Scott has recruited Bellamy

Oct 11, 2010, 2:41 PM

he probably hasn't done as much recruiting as you think

Coaches recruit players in their assigned area

Oct 11, 2010, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I agree he isn't coaching well but how could he not be a... ]

Of the players you listed, only McDowell was recruited by Andre Powell.

IMO, Powell should have been fired last year. He is a weak position coach and a weak recruiter.

Wow did I mis read this or did it not come across in context

Oct 11, 2010, 2:08 PM

correctly.
1) Your RB's decide who plays not the coaches
2) Harper is just unlucky, thats why he averages 2.5 yards per rush less than Ellington
3) Defenses need to stop blitzing in order for our 235lb RB to be effective
4) Ellington isn't good for over 20+ carries that's why we have only given it to him over 20 carries in one game his whole career

Wow

What a joker!***

Oct 11, 2010, 2:10 PM

Oct 11, 2010, 2:15 PM

If I had been a journalist there, would've asked if he saw no problems with Harper's running style for a 230lb back. The "journalists" typically ask just general or vague questions for which the coaches have no problem spouting BS for answers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Oct 11, 2010, 2:32 PM

the big problem with Harper is when he comes in the game, the D KNOWS he won't out run them so they pin their ears back and run blitz...he sees the extra bodies and starts to dance whereas when Ellington is faced with a similar situation he picks whatever hole he can find and exploits it for as much yardage as he can...Harper tries to channel his inner Barry Sanders when he should try channelling his inner John Riggins, if he has one that is.

Guys give reading comprehension a try.

Oct 11, 2010, 2:26 PM

What he is saing is on any given play, if the defense has the perfect blitz diald up the play can be negatd, unless you have Spiller, Barry Sanders, or Reggie Bush back there who can literally make 10 men miss.

It is his opinions(I diagree however) that the only reason Harper dosn't have better stats is that frequently his runs have ran into perfect blitzes. He ould have said that better by saying we have to not call his number when the defense blitzes...

Also I see a lot o alk about poition coaches and teir responsibility for their postions talent (ued in this conversation and frequently used to poin finers at Brad Scott, Jeff Scott and Dabo when he was Receivers coach) frankly that just shows many posters ignorance.

Most every program works the following way.
Every position coach has a recruiting territory.
Every position coach expresses his needs to the HC and the Recruiting Coordinator. Then the HC and RC, along with input from the other coaches develops a target list. Then the coac that is assigned to that territory where the propect lives will begin the recruiting process. The recruit will meet with the position coach on visits ut the position coach is not the primary recruiter unless it just falls that way.

Which is one of the reasons why Dabo was seen as a great recruiter. He recruited Florida for us. Thats why ou WR oach recruited Spiller (RB) McDaniel (S) Coleman (RB) Chancellor (DB) etc.

The talent level at a position has very litle to do with the position coach. The way that talent is developed says a lot more about a position coach. The progres that CJ and Dais made under Burns an the relative (lack of) made by Harper, Ellington and McDowell uner AP says a lot to me. BUT AP has done a tremendous job turning our special teams around, no doubt about that.

AP has done a good job with the Special Teams

Oct 11, 2010, 2:39 PM

I also think that Dabo has a big hand in this. He is a head coach that puts a great of empathsis on this.

Proof read much? I suggest YOU give it a try...***

Oct 11, 2010, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Guys give reading comprehension a try. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Proof read much? I suggest YOU give it a try...***

Oct 11, 2010, 3:53 PM

LMAO

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, let's say the defense does blitz every time Harper

Oct 11, 2010, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Guys give reading comprehension a try. ]

...gets the ball.

What is a 6'0" 235lbs running back to do?

I'm certainly not a running backs coach, but I can safely say its not stutter step and hesitate in the backfield. Someone of his size and speed should be able to salvage yardage every play. Either he's not listening to AP, or AP is not coaching it.

Remind me again...why was he retained?***

Oct 11, 2010, 2:34 PM

Re: Remind me again...why was he retained?***

Oct 11, 2010, 5:30 PM

Office politics.

Because our Special teams have been great since he took over***

Oct 12, 2010, 1:06 PM

Re: Powell must have vision problems

Oct 11, 2010, 2:37 PM

My comment is---andre must be blind. Jamie is not hitting the hole with authority- he is "timid" in his forward motion. Dances and weaves before he gets to the line of scrimmage.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't Powell Willie Parker's position coach at UNC?

Oct 11, 2010, 2:48 PM

Wasn't part of the "reason" that Parker was buried on the UNC depth chart was becuase Parker did not have the size to run between the tackles?

I know Powell has a big influence on our special teams, and he was at UVA when Tiki Barber was there, but I have to wonder about the judgement of the position coach, OC and HC that sat Willie Parker in college.

He was'nt sure if Willie's 3rd or 4th carry would be as

Oct 11, 2010, 4:40 PM

productive as Harper's 11th or 12th! Also-he did'nt want to give Willie 60 carries a game!

To be fair- it is hard to see when your head is up your a$$!

Oct 11, 2010, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Powell must have vision problems ]

I thought Napier was the problem-apparently he has competition

Oct 11, 2010, 2:52 PM

"The Dancing Bear" must be benched until he gathers his testicles enough to hit the hole with the power of a man that size. @#$* give the ball to Chad watch what a fellow with a pair and power could do to a hole, Ellington does. Powell are you a joking ###### nozzle or what ?

Could somenone inform that smug jacka$$ with ALL the

Oct 11, 2010, 4:56 PM

answers that we are 2&3 and he will be unemployed this time next year if he can't convince opposing Ds not to blitz when Happy-Feet Harper is playing.

In 2009 Spiller averaged 18 touches per game & fielded kicks

Oct 11, 2010, 5:26 PM

In 2009, 195 pounder, Spiller, averaged 18 touches per game (not including kick/punt returns). But for big games where he was actually needed (like FSU & GT) he averaged more like 24 touches per game.

For frame of reference on a small back, in big games where he was needed (and not injured) this year, 180-pounder, Noel Devine has averaged 30 touches per game.

UNC's 205 pounder, White, got 28 touches against Clemson.

Ellington is listed as 190lbs. In the last 3 games he's averaged 20 touches per game (not including kick/punt returns). So in Powel's defense, I guess he's not that far behind Spiller's average. But 4-5 more carries per game might have been the difference between a win and a loss.

The other difference is that last year, when Spiller wasn't the running back, Ellington was a darned good #2 back who actually had a higher average yards-per-carry (6.4) than Spiller (5.6). So Clemson didn't lose much production when CJ was out of the game. But against good competition, Harper's yards-per-carry are about half that of Ellington's.

Harper did suffer from some bad D-line-penetration on a few of his runs against UNC. But when you look at his 48 carries ove the last 3 games and you see a statistical pattern that Harper averages about half the yards-per-carry of Ellington. And you see him dance. You can't blame that on bad luck.

It seems to me that when season-defining close games are on the line (like Auburn, Miami, & UNC) they should be giving Ellington at least 25 touches. And in critical game situations, Ellington should be in the game. You think Ellington wouldn't have been happy to run 5-10 more times per game if it would have helped result in a win?

also spiller was injured all season***

Oct 11, 2010, 5:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ellington's late carries better than Harper's early carries.

Oct 11, 2010, 5:59 PM

Powell said, "I’m not so sure his [Ellington's] 23, 24, 25th carries will be as good as Jamie’s 12th and 13th carry. Ellinton's largest number of carries came against Auburn. Let's look at the stats:

Harper: 19 carries for 2.3 YPC.
Ellington: 22 carries for 6.4 YPC.

Harper's first 5 carries: 2 yards (0.4 YPC).
Ellington's last 5 carries: 62 yards (12.4 YPC).*

* I actually excluded a 2-yard TD run from Ellington's last 5 carries because he couldn't officially gain any more yards after crossing the goal line.

Re: Ellington's late carries better than Harper's early carries.

Oct 12, 2010, 12:59 PM

Razz, you are the man! I hope AP takes a look at this post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great post***

Oct 12, 2010, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Ellington's late carries better than Harper's early carries. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They always run the ball after Harper subs for Ellington ...

Oct 11, 2010, 8:56 PM

and vice versa. They never pass on that first play when the "new guy" is in.

I am sure good defensive coordinators pick up on that tendency, and it might be why Harper always gets "a bad draw". That is on Napier.

That said, Harper dances like a little girl instead of making one cut and then powering through people. That has been beat to death on this forum so no need to go into detail.

Harper is too concerned with Twitter and other social sites.

Oct 12, 2010, 2:08 AM

when he commited to Clemson he said "I'll only be there for 3 years".He is too concerned with being "famous" and "bigtime" that he forgot,you get to that place by your actual on field performance.Ellington seems to be more concerned with being humble and performance.I'm on Twitter,and I follow a few of our players...let me put it like this,there are a few guys on the team who just don't seem to care.Immediately after a loss theses guys are tweeting about what they are going to eat,orwhat club they are gonna hang at.Some of the guys even tweet while in class about how class is boring.I want guys who think about football 24/7,not what their Twitter or Facebook friends think.bottom line is some of these kids ego's are way bigger than theyr'e talent.I think you need to start benching some guys and get some kids experience for next year,what would that hurt?What,we might lose a game we shouldn't....haha

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic