Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals?

Oct 17, 2012, 10:13 AM

Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals?

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whomever wrote that from "Inside the ACC" doesn't have a

Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 AM

clue what the term "rivals" means.

Clemson and GT have been playing each other since the infancy of college football.
GT is the closest ACC school to Clemson geographically.

Would Clemson/VT yearly been a good matchup, maybe, but not at the expense of Clemson/GT

Exactly my thoughts.***

Oct 17, 2012, 10:28 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

GT won a National Championship since VT has...***

Oct 17, 2012, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Whomever wrote that from "Inside the ACC" doesn't have a ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GT won a National Championship since VT has...***

Oct 17, 2012, 3:21 PM

when did V/t ever win one??I also prefer Tech for our rival game

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My point exactly. We will ignore the ACC trophies they have

Oct 17, 2012, 3:24 PM

won though. That hurts my point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals?

Oct 17, 2012, 10:28 AM

I like playing GT each year, and I think that have developed into a game that you circle each season, but an annual VT matchup would be pretty sweet.

Im old school...I perfer the GT game...My very first Clemson

Oct 17, 2012, 11:40 AM

I attended was around 1971 ( I think) in Atlanta. I was around 6 or 7 years old. Of course we lost, all I remember was sitting in the old end zone at Grant Field on wooden bleahers with a Orange/Purple pom pom with my folks and aunt.LOL! ;) Georgia Tech has always been a pain in my side every since.

Personally, I would have preferred Duke because it is about

Oct 17, 2012, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals? ]

winning. Plus they have not been too easy up there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. They got it right with GT vs. Clemson. This is a

Oct 17, 2012, 10:41 AM

great rivalry with both a lot of history and a close proximity. Not that Clemson vs. VT wouldn't have been good, but Clemson vs. GT is perfect, in my opinion.

null

"in its wisdom"

Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 AM

I really despise that phrase. The writer's telling us that his opinion is so correct that the league is beyond simply wrong... they were infinitely unwise.

Really? Using that phrase in this situation? Let's look at some facts.

The GT game is very important to me. I would much rather have them as our cross-division rival than VT. GT is the closest ACC school to Clemson and we've been playing them for 114 years. We've played them every year for the past 29 years. GT has been in the ACC 26 years longer than VT.

John Heisman coached at both schools (yes, THAT Heisman). He left Clemson for GT in 1904 because they paid him more money. Nothing generates that warm feeling of honest rival hatred like stealing your coach. Think FL fans are going to give Spurrier a hug this weekend? Think LSU fans are going to praise Saban when they play Bama? Those coaches moving to a conference opponent just bumped up the rivalry factor.

As a resident of the Atlanta metro area, I see GT alums and Clemson alums on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever met a VT guy down here. But, then again, I don't typically talk to the guys that cook my fries at McDonald's... so there's that.

The league office "in their wisdom" chose a long-standing rivalry that goes back over a century between 2 teams seperated by just 125 miles and whose fans regularly interact. If they had done anything else (including making VT Clemson's cross-division rival) they would have been blasted by a lot more than just one opinionated writer whose grasp on college football tradition is underdeveloped.

I agree, but shoulda put GT in same division with no rivals.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:17 AM

The cross-division rivals concept is unfair. For example, Wake has permanent scheduling advantage by having Duke as their cross-division rival. Since expansion, Wake is 8-1 vs. Duke, whereas Clemson is 3-6 vs. GT.

I understand that the goal was to have FSU & Miami play twice a year but that hasn't worked out for the last 8 years so why not just randomly rotate 2 teams from the other division?

My take on it...

Oct 17, 2012, 12:09 PM

I wouldn't consider the W-L record when picking the rival. Teams vary a lot year over year. I bet Wake would've rather had GT this year than Duke.

Same with us and South Carolina... they've won 3 straight, but historically we've dominated them. Either way, they're still a rival, just like GT.

Oct 17, 2012, 10:57 AM

The only way this works is if we change the divisions. My recommendation is as follows with the crossover rivals directly across from one another:

North South
BC Miami
Cuse GaTech
Pitt FlaState
MD NcState
VA Wake
VaTech Clemson
Duke North Carolina

This would maintain old rivalries like Miami/BC, Duke/North Carolina and also allow the schools to have most games within driving distance. If ND ever joins, we could throw them into the North and depending on who team 16 is, we could either put them in the South or move Duke to the south and put new team into North. We can keep the 8 game conference schedule and play the 6 on our side, our one cross over, and then the others rotate.

Great idea and actually makes sense!

Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 AM

Making sense is something Swofford just cannot seem to do. (However, being a Hokie Alum and living in Charleston, I wouldn't be able to make it to many road games except to Clemson every other year.) And, on top of that, it would give the North division a HUGE advantage with a higher percentage of weak teams. We would absolutely dominate that division (except for this year). Maybe putting UNC in the North and Duke in the South to balance it out would help?

Oct 17, 2012, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals? ]

VT would have pretty easy road to chapionship game.

Too many schools with low ceilings on the North side.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Should Clemson and VT been crossover rivals? ]

The commitment to football from Duke, BC, Pitt, Cuse, MD, and VA ranges from below average to non-existent. CU, FSU, GT, NCSU, and UNC all have better facilities and fan commitment. Miami is Miami. Who knows what their future is, but they still have an amazing history.

Terrible idea. GT is our biggest rivalry in this conference

Oct 17, 2012, 11:33 AM

and it would have been a shame to lose that.

Besides, i hate decisions that are made with short-term thinking. CFB is cyclical and programs rarely stay on top for long periods of time. Just look at the initial ACCCG setup. It was clearly designed under the pretense of Miami and FSU squaring off for the title year in and year out. How many times has that happened in the 7-year history of the game? Not once. Heck, Miami has yet to even make it there once.

FSU is our biggest rivalry in this conference

Oct 17, 2012, 12:02 PM

GT is second.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? Definitely GT first, then FSU/NCSU***

Oct 17, 2012, 1:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

FSU is similar to UGA

Oct 17, 2012, 2:11 PM

Huge Stadium with fans who are passionate about football. If we had UGA on the schedule every year it would be UGA. But now it is FSU. We will battle them for years to come to control the ACC.

GT and NCST are good but pretty small time in terms of passion and support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia Tech is bigger for us than FSU...

Oct 17, 2012, 2:21 PM

...and Miami is a bigger rivalry for them than we are. We are also GT's biggest rival. The ACC got it right.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In truth we lost our biggest rival beyond USuC when we quit

Oct 17, 2012, 2:59 PM

playing UGA every year. GT is a POOR, POOR substitute.

FSU is only a big game because of their success

Oct 17, 2012, 3:00 PM [ in reply to FSU is our biggest rivalry in this conference ]

and because we've been competing for them for the division title the last few years. GT has historical significance, they are right down the road, and it feels like a rivalry game regardless of where the teams are ranked.

Now, give us another decade of battling FSU for division titles, and they could eventually overtake GT.

Right, until about 2001, FSU had no rival in the ACC, just

Oct 17, 2012, 3:29 PM

teams that could luck up and beat them every now and then. They didn't look at any ACC team like they did Miami and Florida. Our hiring Tommy Bowden changed that a bit at first, then we started beating them every now and then. If things go as both schools plan, it could become huge as each team would not lose any other games.

The crossover rivalry extends beyond football.

Oct 17, 2012, 12:02 PM

Clemson and GT play great games on the football and baseball field and on the hardwood. I'd hate to lose that.

The only good thing about VT basketball was to watch Seth cry his way to the NIT.

With conference expansion,

Oct 17, 2012, 12:03 PM

I think crossover rivals should be cut out.

I know it's been said here before

Oct 17, 2012, 12:11 PM

but this guy is an idiot. GT was my first game in '85. We lost, but the passion of the crowd and the atmosphere made me a fan immediately.

O yea, real sexy, got us a noon kickoff***

Oct 17, 2012, 12:12 PM

But what's this I hear about SCAR and UGA becoming

Oct 17, 2012, 12:14 PM

"cross-dressing" rivals? Something about dog-collars and panty-waists, I think?

No!

Oct 17, 2012, 1:09 PM

Clemson has a very storied history with gt. If that that rivalry ever ended college football loses.

As it stands now VT is a sexier rivalry. But

Oct 17, 2012, 1:48 PM

Beamer'll retire soon. Who knows what this team looks like in 6 years?

Whn did our stadium lose 3000+ seats? idiots!***

Oct 17, 2012, 1:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GT should be in our division instead of BC actually. Then VT

Oct 17, 2012, 3:16 PM

as the cross rival. Makes for a Clemson vs VT & a FSU vs Miami each year, which is what the ACC should be looking for cross cover rival perfection, imo.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic