Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For all of Kelly’s imperfections...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

For all of Kelly’s imperfections...

Apr 15, 2018, 11:43 AM

His ability as a runner is what makes him lethal, and that is being overlooked. None of the other three QBs have his instincts, elusiveness, or speed. Those traits have won us far more games than they’ve lost us (one, in my book, because if he plays the whole game we don’t lose to Syracuse). Now, I understand that his inability to effectively throw the ball against a great defense might cost us, but he’s going to get us 10-11 wins regardless. I’m not so sure we can count on the same with a first-year starter. We might not get the opportunity to even PLAY in the CFP with a different guy.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A run first QB, who doesn’t throw well, is a detriment to our team.

Apr 15, 2018, 11:49 AM

We are mostly wasting WR talent by being a run first offense. In fact, I have to believe that played a role in guys like McCloud and Cain going pro early.

We need a QB who can run up tempo, sling the ball all over the field with good accuracy, and run occasionally when plays break down. He does not need to be the feature runner. We also have some pretty great RBs last time I checked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I agree, and I'd bet the house that Dabo agrees, and always

Apr 15, 2018, 11:53 AM

has agreed, as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't know about that ...

Apr 15, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to A run first QB, who doesn’t throw well, is a detriment to our team. ]

Seeing Tee Higgins and Amari Rogers perform, my guess is that McCloud and Cain might have decided they were in jeopardy of not starting this season.

Losing your starting position as a senior is a poor way to raise your stock with NFL scouts.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, I think it had more to do with Rogers /Higgins too

Apr 15, 2018, 5:13 PM

They got to see HJ and Brice in practice every day, and I'm sure they knew all about TL. Either KB was going to improve as a passer or one of these other qb's - all gifted passers - would supplant him. Whatever happened it was almost certain WR's would get more opportunities next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For all of Kelly’s imperfections...

Apr 15, 2018, 11:53 AM

My opinion is just that, but I truly believe this is a National Championship team with any QB that can stretch the field. My opinion is someone will turn out to be a better option than KB to get us where we want to go. He was the best QB for our team last year. This year is different. Oh well, may the best man win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 11:54 AM

So you want to be basically GT? Sorry but 13 TD passes will not draw top flight WR talent to Clemson my friend. If you actually watched both TL and HJ yesterday you saw kids that could move inside a pocket to avoid a rush while keeping theri eyes downfield. KB has a tendency to run backwards for a 10 yard sack instead of using the pocket. We have 3 mighty fine RB's to tote the rock for the run game and I for one would prefer a QB that can do more than WR/RB screens or at most 7 yards downfield.

Apr 15, 2018, 11:58 AM

Imperfections suggests more than one. I would suggest one one which is his ability to throw the ball. Unfortunately we are not built to be a run first team. We are built to use the pass to open the running lanes. If we cant make a D respect the pass then we have a low chance of winning. Sure we can beat lesser teams based on overall talent but elite teams will load the box and we will have no answer. Assuming KB does not show significant improvement our ceiling will be ACC champions.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:03 PM

I hate that we have to pile on KB, but have you gone back and looked at his film? I think you should be careful to say that he has good instincts as a runner. He made a lot of bad reads throughout the year in the run game. He stalled a lot of drives, not through his inability to make passes, but for not running the read-option correctly.

KB is a good college quarterback, and we've all wanted to be careful of our criticism of him. He's a greater leader as well, and somebody you want in the program. We aren't the coaches, but it seems unlikely to most of us that what we all see is dramatically different in every other practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNm5Hcog8lU&feature=onebox

Apr 15, 2018, 12:10 PM

you didn't watch much last year

Re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNm5Hcog8lU&feature=onebox

Apr 15, 2018, 2:23 PM

Come on man. WE all want to be as respectful of KB as possible, because he helped us get to the playoff in a down year. That's amazing! I mean this truly the golden era of Clemson football. He exceeded expectations. But your ACC championship highlight video doesn't disprove anything.

KB is a winner and a straight up football player, but we're not making up these criticisms from nothing.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:11 PM

So when you say none of them have speed are you accounting that TL has a faster 40 time than KB or were you just saying that? TL was the top rated overall prospect he has instincts that can’t be taught and as we saw yesterday he can push the ball and move downfield and roll out the pocket example go look at the all American game where his legs were lethal I don’t get all these excuses people make and stating we won games doesn’t change the fact that he’s not a good QB, our offense struggled all year with him under center and he averaged under a TD a game passing and you can’t be one dimensional, yesterday was like watching the Bama game all over again

Apr 15, 2018, 1:08 PM

KB has got to be able to throw the ball downfield accurately. The other 3 yesterday were able to show they could do so at times. To win-we have got to be able to compliment our run game with the pass and this '18 covey of WR have got to catch and take care of the ball. We did not do that vs Bama in the Sugar Bowl nor did Cooper give us a passing attack vs Syracuse. HJ could have helped the Tigers vs 'Cuse for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 3:26 PM

his legs are not any better than the other QBs...now toughness I have no doubt he has the edge on

...i have never seen a QB take it down so many times one yard short of the first down marker

speaks to awareness

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? A first year starter got us to the CFP last year?

Apr 15, 2018, 4:44 PM

If we can throw the football this year, we will win the national championship. Our defense is stellar, we have two running backs that are explosive and a good OL. All we need is for a QB to be able to deliver the ball to the WRs running wide open more than 10 yards away from the line of scrimmage. I like KB, but he has some major flaws that his ability to run cannot make up for. I would much rather have Johnson or Lawrence's "lesser" running skills in addition to the passing options they bring as opposed to the other way around.

KB's instincts, elusiveness, and speed didn't help him much

Apr 15, 2018, 4:52 PM

yesterday. Chase Brice, who by all accounts has little chance of being our starter this year, outperformed Bryant by a landslide - with exactly the same players on offense and going against the exact same defense. Johnson and Lawrence also greatly outperformed him, although this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison since they had different players to work with and also went against a different defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic