Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I actually agree with Dabo on going for the TD at the half
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I actually agree with Dabo on going for the TD at the half

Oct 6, 2013, 9:27 AM

Many (including all of SU players/coaches/fans and maybe the entire country) saw that as running up the score. Not me. We need practice doing that. PERIOD. Everyone thinks we're so great because we beat SU, NCSU, etc - but there are much better teams down the road, and we had better be able to do that. To be honest, I wish we would be more like Oregon and make going-for-2 on the PAT a regular thing as opposed to only when you have to. We are going to need that someday soon.

Dabo keeps saying that we are playing CLEMSON football - not really so much against the opponent - so I'd like to see more of that. If people fuss about it and we cower down to their demands, then we will be one of the 'also-rans' again this year.

JMO - but I want to see some intensity. We substitute as quickly as any other team in America. We need to tell people that. But again - I want the 2's and 3's to score too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I actually agree with Dabo on going for the TD at the half

Oct 6, 2013, 9:30 AM

I don't understand why he called timeout with 14 seconds left on 4th down? Why not wait till 2 seconds?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did similar thing against NC State in 1st half,

Oct 6, 2013, 9:31 AM

giving them a free shot to the endzone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree also, but not for the reasons you state...

Oct 6, 2013, 9:30 AM

I agree for the reason Dabo stated. If we make it, great. If we don't, they take over right there and more likely the half is over. If we had kicked field goal, we would have had to kick off and risk a return.

Had nothing to do with "practicing" against a weaker opponent. It had to do with good decision making.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree also, but not for the reasons you state...

Oct 6, 2013, 9:36 AM

I heard Dabo's reasons - and I agree with them and not arguing as to why he did what he did.

It's JMO that we need to practice doing those short-yardage goal-line situations. I think we failed TWICE on goal-line situations - so 'practice' is needed every chance we can get. We cannot afford to fail on those vs. FSU or USuC - or we will LOSE.

Agree we need to make those against FSU...

Oct 6, 2013, 9:40 AM

Not sure we LOSE if we don't. You DON'T have to score every possession.

Incorrect. We called a timeout with 14 seconds left.

Oct 6, 2013, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I agree also, but not for the reasons you state... ]

Should have run the clock down to 2 seconds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never mentioned anything about timeouts....

Oct 6, 2013, 9:46 AM

?

It is ridiculous to call going for a touchdown

Oct 6, 2013, 9:33 AM

before the half, running up the score. You are right, Oregon would not think twice about scoring the TD at that point and then going for two.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

MARK THESE WORDS!!

Oct 6, 2013, 9:34 AM

You can not run up the score in the 1st half.. It is Impossible. You are just playing football.

3rd qrt is a gray area.

IF you run up the score it will be in the 4th qrt for sure, like FSU did. Throwing on 1st and 2nd downs in the 4th when you are up 50-0.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I dont have a problem with it either

Oct 6, 2013, 9:35 AM

Its the first half for crying out loud! dude was butt hurt that is all. Maybe he is unaware on how things go in college FB. Clemson has goals in mind. If you're gonna lay down and let us score like we did, then we have all the right to use you as we please.

I disagree but .......

Oct 6, 2013, 10:02 AM

I thought we should have taken the 3 pts. in order to end the half on a positive note and carry the tremendous momentum we had into the locker room at the half. "Running up the score " remark is stupid but risking failure and turning the ball over on downs to end the half was a gamble but I totally understand Dabo's decision and he's the Coach.

Should have kicked the FG, for the reasons he stated.

Oct 6, 2013, 9:40 AM

But I didn't and don't care as it really didn't matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Until we lost yardage on 3rd down, I was anxious to try it

Oct 6, 2013, 9:54 AM

Once we got stoned on 3rd down, I thought taking the FG was the right decision.

Still, I had no issue with Dabo's choice although I thought it seemed odd.

The Syracuse coach's rant was really over the top, though.

As Dabo says, there is nothing less important than the score at halftime. 35-7 should be safe, but these days, we know that it's not. A TD there goes a long way toward putting the game on ice and opens the door to beginning the second half with playing a lot of reserves. Getting the TD would have been great.

In failing to get the TD however, we inspired the other team and opened the door instead to a bad 3rd quarter in which we had to leave our starters out there.

In retrospect, I'll bet even Dabo would like to have taken the 3 points before the half.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Dabo would have "in retrospect"...

Oct 6, 2013, 10:10 AM

taken the 3 at the half, he would have said so.

Ice the game? It was 35 to 7!

Nothing wrong with his decision at that point. If it had been 14 point difference, he would have taken the 3.

Events subsequent to the decision pretty clearly point out

Oct 6, 2013, 11:15 AM

the validity of my argument.

I didn't say the decision was wrong. I said given the 3rd quarter results of the decision, it could have easily turned out to have haunted us.

Yes, it was 35-7 at the half. Was the game "iced"? Well, apparently not since we had to leave the starters in and bring an injured Sammy Watkins off the sidelines to totally secure the win.

We gave away 3 points looking for 7 on 4th down with a play that everyone in the stadium and the country knew was coming ...

It was an unusual decision. Not wrong necessarily, just unusual. Most coaches not named Paul Johnson would not have made it.

In retrospect ... in almost no time after the second half began ... it was suddenly 35-14 then we went to sleep on a fake punt and it could have been 35-21 easily.

Only some stellar defensive play kept the game from tightening up and perhaps making us wish we had those 3 points and hadn't given 'Cuse new life.

The way the game turned out, Dabo had the luxury of not having to second guess the decision. In the end, it really didn't matter much at all.

I'm glad.

Almost 35-21....

Oct 6, 2013, 11:35 AM

Is about the same as saying we "almost lost".

The game was NEVER in question. And I think he was preparing for upcoming games where more points might be important to us.
Even using hindsight 20/20, it was not a bad decision, just the decision he made.

And it's not like they juiced Sammy up because we were concerned about Cuse coming back.... Look at the play, if Sammy was "hurt" I'll take him with a hip pointer the rest of the year!

We disagree ... not worth arguing about***

Oct 6, 2013, 11:36 AM

You're right. 49-14 says it all!***

Oct 6, 2013, 11:38 AM

Re: You're right. 49-14 says it all!***

Oct 6, 2013, 11:56 AM

I guess everyone has their idea of what our team should do in these situations - and I have no problem with Dabo going for it like that.

But IMO, if you are complacent and do not take advantage of these situations and learn how to make them work in LIVE situations like that one, then when you really need to be able to do it, you're still going to have to experiment to see what works. That is a recipe for failure.

I hope we don't fail if we need to score in that situation if it's FSU or USuC on the other side of the field. I hope lessons learned from going for that play makes us succeed instead of fail. I'm pretty sure Morris is figuring out what went wrong already.

As for the sure 3 - it does nothing. Catman is the greatest and "Mr. Automatic" - we don't need to learn anything there. That would have been a wasted play.

My take is it has less to do with the score and more to

Oct 6, 2013, 9:56 AM

do with keeping the offensive motivated and psyched. If you trust them and they produce more often than not, the best thing to do is go for it. I keep hearing about how our red zone productivity is so much better this year. The only way you keep that up is to go a TD every chance you get. You gotta protect Boyd though. It's just fundamental in close quarters like that.

We were NOT close enough to go for it. Should have kicked

Oct 6, 2013, 9:59 AM

the sure thing--well most of the time. They also gained confidence in stopping us

We also, learned something by not making it...

Oct 6, 2013, 10:11 AM

no big deal, and keeps them understanding the other team was there to play as well.

Agree. Football should never involve humane behavior******

Oct 6, 2013, 11:18 AM

On 4th and 5 I thought going for fg was the smart play.***

Oct 6, 2013, 12:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On 3rd & 2, I felt we were in a 4-down situation, but when

Oct 6, 2013, 3:45 PM

we lost yardage on 3rd down, it seemed weird to go for it. Especially wit a completely predictable play call.

It was sort of like the previous week when we wanted Daniel Rodriguez to score. He couldn't because the other team knew it ... but CJ Davidson waltzed in untouched on 4th down.

I guess we decided that our OL ought to be able to impose our will on their DL no matter what short yardage play we called and we were putting them to the test ... I suppose.

Re: I actually agree with Dabo on going for the TD at the half

Oct 6, 2013, 4:13 PM

The only criticism I have for that scenario is not waiting until 2 seconds were left to call the timeout. That play whether a kick or attempt to score the touchdown should have been the last play of the half. That is the second poor use of timeouts before the half (see NC State) and eventually it will catch up to us if it continues.

My opinion

Oct 6, 2013, 4:34 PM

I'm still now sure we were really trying to score there before the half. It was a very poor attempt if we were.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know who has defined this as running up

Oct 6, 2013, 4:54 PM

the score. That's a complete perversion. We had an easy 3 points and did not take them. Instead, we chose the riskier path of going for 7 and ... came away with no points. This was an oppoortunity for the defense to come away and keep their own team in the game. And their defense delivered. If I'm a coach, I'm happy for this pop to stop the offensive onslaught.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic