Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hate to be a Debbie Downer,...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

I hate to be a Debbie Downer,...

Nov 15, 2014, 5:40 PM

but I am not confident that Deshaun Watson will ever significantly contribute as a quarterback at Clemson. Indeed, he is only a true freshman and has three remaining years to play. Undoubtedly, my heart is heavy and I am distraught over yet another injury by this freshman phenom. However, we must take a step back, reflect on this situation, and consider that Watson is injury-prone to the extreme. Deshaun has missed games in the last year from four different injuries. Four! Name another quarterback with as many game-missing injuries in such a short period of time.

He was injured late in his senior season of high school, causing him to miss a national all-star game. After enrolling at Clemson in January, he had to sit out the Spring game for a damaged collarbone. Upon starting in just a few games for the Tigers, Watson hurt a finger on his throwing hand, leading to a month of recovery time. On top of all these instances, on his first game back, he couldn't even make it out of the first quarter before injuring his knee on an untouched play!

With all this empirical evidence, I regretfully think he may be another Derrick Rose or Robert Griffin III in the making: all the talent in the world, but practically no durability. You need both to be truly great. Even those two professional players have not suffered four injuries in a year's time that led to missed games.

I so hope that I am wrong and Watson becomes another Clemson legend. My optimism is at a minimum.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate to be a Debbie Downer,...

Nov 15, 2014, 5:47 PM

With a devastated heart I have to agree. This changes everything for not only the rest of this year, not that there's much left for us to accomplish. This causes great concern about this kids toughness and ability to healthily compete in D1. Are we going to push him and cause even more potential injuries? Not sure we can ever fully be confident in him. Therefore our rise to the top of CFB may be placed on hold until we can find another, healthier QB. Right now we just have to pray he will be alright.

What the hell are you talking about?

Nov 15, 2014, 5:52 PM

How can you question his toughness. Maybe his durability, but there was no way he could come back in today. He couldn't have played with a broken hand, and he couldn't play with a broken collar bone. Every injury he has had has been significant.

He had taken some big hits already early in the game and just kept on running the ball. Nothing we've seen so far has indicated that he's not tough.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yo misunderstood him.

Nov 15, 2014, 5:55 PM

He saying he needs his pulse ruptured for pizzing on Clemson Football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the hell are you talking about?

Nov 15, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to What the hell are you talking about? ]

It's not his toughnessim questioning. It's his physical make up and him being prone to injuries. It's not his fault.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:07 PM

"this causes great concerns about his toughness..."

Sorry, I was just responding to words that you wrote.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:21 PM

Poor chose of words, worthy of yours and others criticism.

Nov 15, 2014, 5:49 PM

Welcome to reality!

He certainly isn't unbreakable.***

Nov 15, 2014, 5:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2014, 5:57 PM

Even if there are durability issues, I think we can do more to protect him than we're currently doing in the play-calling. If we play him as a pocket qb which he can be very good at. He would be much more protected.

Started four years in high school

Nov 15, 2014, 6:02 PM

And sat a total of one play

It's been downhill ever since the injury his senior year...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:08 PM

that caused him to miss an all-star game. All injury-prone players once had a starting point in which their injury problems began, continued, and kept snowballing. No?

Gimme a break

Nov 15, 2014, 6:13 PM

"All down hill"? Please find another team to pull for.

Yes, I guess everybody who is ever injured has a first injury. His came at the end of four years as a starter. Bail on him if you want to. I think he would be much better off with support than "injury prone" tags right now.

I sure hope you never have kids...quitter.

As I sit here on my couch, I can give him...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:21 PM

...all the proverbial support that I can (and I did in my original post), but such abstract "support" does not dispute the concrete facts that this young man has had four injuries in a period of a year that has caused him to miss games. I know of no other college or NFL quarterback with as many injuries in such a short time. Do you? I am merely using empirical evidence to offer a legitimate concern. Think about this idea: a player who misses games in a single year because of two injuries is normally considered injury-prone. No? What are we to conclude about a player who has had four injuries in the same time period?

He was lucky to avoid injury over four years

Nov 15, 2014, 6:35 PM

Now he is on a run of bad luck. I am glad that he has three more years of eligibility. I guess you would rather label him fragile and never put him back on the field. I bet Georgia is glad they didn't do that with Todd Gurley.

Where did I say or even imply that...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:42 PM

I, "would...never put him back on the field." In my original post, I hoped that he would eventually become a Clemson legend (ipso facto, he has to be back on the field in order to become a legendary player). I am saying that he is extremely, perhaps even uniquely, prone to injury (are four game-missing injuries in a single year normal?) and maybe his future as Clemson's quarterback is in jeopardy.

Re: Started four years in high school

Nov 15, 2014, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Started four years in high school ]

he started as an 8th grader at qb due to another qb getting injured and never missed a down another down. He also was the started at QB starting in the 10th grade in hs. His injuries at Clemson are pretty common....and today was just a freak accident

Nov 15, 2014, 6:03 PM

Keep in mind this was a non-contact injury. These things happen, and it's impossible to predict or avoid. That being said, you can't run the QB on every down. His chances of being injured are certainly not lessened by being hit so often.
It's still way to early to count Watson as an injury bust. He's had a tough year to be sure, but he's only a freshman. There's a long way to go before all is said and done with Watson.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:05 PM

However, I will say that every mother of dual-threat HS QBs is now saying that they would rather not have their child go to Clemson because Morris will run them to injury. Right or wrong, this will affect Morris' ability to recruit the kind of QB he needs to run his system.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:03 PM

Same thought here. It is more is durability. As if we do not watch Clemson football on pins and needles now. Can you imagine next year. We are going to be breathing a sigh of relief after every play when DW gets up.

I am really really concerned about next year. When DW goes down and hopefully that does not happen, we will not have the defensive fire power to win games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree about our watching Watson with bated breath...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:13 PM

next year and beyond (if there is a beyond). However, the back-up situation, on paper, should look better than this year's. Clemson is set to have two great true freshmen who likely right now have far more talent than Cole Stoudt ever had. I hate to depend so much on freshmen, but such may be our fate next year.

Re: I agree about our watching Watson with bated breath...

Nov 15, 2014, 6:17 PM

My question is how well can Isreal run. If he cannot run we need to rescind his offer. It has become obvious to me that this offense MUST have a dynamic running durable QB to be at all effective.

Good point! I never thought of it from that angle.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:43 PM

nm

Nov 15, 2014, 6:04 PM

Same thought here. It is more is durability. As if we do not watch Clemson football on pins and needles now. Can you imagine next year. We are going to be breathing a sigh of relief after every play when DW gets up.

I am really really concerned about next year. When DW goes down and hopefully that does not happen, we will not have the defensive fire power to win games.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:20 PM

he did miss an all star game in hs, HOWEVER, since the 8th grade he did not miss a down in hs until the injury. He came back in that game. IMO, he missed that game on his own not to risk more injury and be ready to come to Clemson.

His injuries are common injuries....collar bone, broken finger and today's injury was just a freak accident.

Nov 15, 2014, 6:26 PM

I too wondered if his injuries may pose a problem. He is a thin guy and some players are just more durable than others. In comparison, RG3 tore his acl his soph year on a similar run/cut without contact. He has been injured on and off since. However, he still ended up doing great things for baylor and won a heisman. So as for DW I wouldnt say all is done, but he as well as the coaches must focus on his s&c and his play style. Also if his acl is an issue and rehab 6-12 mnths, Bryant nd/or Isreal will be competing for the starting job.

RG 3 had an ACL injury at Baylor....

Nov 15, 2014, 6:47 PM

Before winning the Heisman. It's a good thing they didn't give up on him then. Maybe we should just wait a little while longer before jumping to such conclusions

When did I give up on him? I never even implied such....

Nov 15, 2014, 6:58 PM

I stated that his unusually many injuries in such a short time have made me doubtful that he will ever significantly contribute to our football team. I never said that he will never contribute again.

By the way, Robert Griffin III is still showing that he is indeed injury-prone, even after his career at Baylor. Fortunately for Baylor, he avoided a second major injury during his collegiate years. The Washington Redskins could only wish that they were so lucky concerning his professional career.

I hope Watson goes injury-free for the rest of his time at Clemson, but four injuries have tempered my optimism. How can they not?

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic