Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Poor Mark Richt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,992

Poor Mark Richt

Dec 27, 2018, 7:18 PM

I bet he wishes he had a Chase Bryce type-kid to go in there and take over for Rozier .
Canes defense can only do so much .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Poor Mark Richt

Dec 27, 2018, 8:03 PM

If I am Miami AD I strongly consider firing Richt for extreme incompetence after this game --

The MIA backup QB's, and one is a senior, are ridiculously uncoached and incompetent against the tough but slow WISC defense.

Takes me back to the Ken Hatfield regime, Oct. 2, 1992. Ford's magic and recruits had left the team, and the Tigers were down 28-0 shortly before halftime in Charlottesville. UVA was 5-0 and Clemson was 2-2 entering the game, 1-2 in conference. Louis Solomon, in my recollection essentially a Freshman DB with the most shake & bake on the team, comes in to play QB for the Tigers. He runs the option to perfection with some long runs, and opens it up for TB Rodney Blunt and FB Rudy Harris. I was there, and unbeknownst to me so was LBB and his son, and many other Tiger fans going wild in 2nd half. Biggest comeback in Tiger history. Clemson 29 - UVA 28

So why has Richt not put the quickest guy on the team at QB and started sprinting? MIA must still have a few talented players on the team. They can't pass or catch, but they can run. Nothing to lose. Instead, Richt is giving the MIA D no chance and just lying down dead. Even Hatfield had the guts to compete.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 8:36 PM

I think Mark Richt deserves time to bring in several recruiting classes and try to build something special in Miami before he is railroaded out of town. I believe he will be successful in Miami. Remember it took Dabo several years to change Clemson’s way of thinking.

It’s fan like you (that have no patience) who want to fire the coach every time the team loses. So many programs follow your advice so to speak and fire really good HC’s before they have a chance to change the program and bring in their players who work best in their system. Miami’s problems are not all on Mark Richt. Some of this has to fall to the other coaches and the players.

What if we had fired Dabo after the Bowl game beating we were given by West Virginia. If we had I don’t think our program becomes Elite with players like DW, Dexter Lawrence, TL, Feaster, Mike Williams and many more star athletes. We don’t win 2nd NC. Probably not in CFP’s.

As for Ken Hatfield he never had a chance. He was defeated by lack of support from the BOT, President, the fans and the players before he even arrived in Clemson. Despite lack of support from most everyone associated with Clemson he still had success at Clemson though I doubt you and many other fans would admit it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree WU Eagle! Some forget that was pretty

Dec 28, 2018, 2:49 AM

Much the best UVA teams they've ever enjoyed and Hatfield still managed to shut them down the entire second half and ran all over them the final 30 money minutes of regulation.
Considering what some "fans" put the man through Hatfield showed incredible backbone during a difficult time. We paid for it though bringing in a coach who had far less experience and it showed with TW.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 8:10 PM

I like Mark. I got to know him a bit when he lived in Hartwell. Having said that, he is bull head stubborn. He needs an O.C. He also needs a real Q.B. coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 8:13 PM

He needs QBS too! Miami just is t an extremely talented team anymore.

Dec 27, 2018, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Poor Mark Richt ]

I agree with you that’s why he needs time to make some of the changes. I know Mark and I knew TB. They hated firing people even though it was necessary.

Thanks for responses WUeagle & Reynolds

Dec 27, 2018, 9:33 PM

Respect your first-hand knowledge of Richt and your defense of his coaching. That said, I stand by my thoughts on his "x's and o's", and his motivational limitations based upon 35 years of living in Savannah, watching the Bulldogs (married to one), and listening to UGA insiders like Mark Schlabach and Tony Barnhart.

Like Tommy Bowden, Richt is a Bobby Bowden disciple and a classy gentleman. Also like TB, Richt just does not have the fire he had as a young man, or the half the fire or motivational/tactical skill sets that Bobby Bowden brought to the game (and Coach Swinney currently brings to the game).

Maybe Richt can right the ship and put Miami in the Top 25, but he lacks the fire and drive to bring Miami back to a Top 5 year-end rating; he lacked it at the better UGA program. His drive and presence on the sideline, possibly encumbered by his convictions and class, can be positively corpse-like at times.

IMHO giving him more time will result in more TB-like years at Miami with a few upset wins and just as many losses to underdogs, then a forced retirement after a particularly unsetting loss. Maybe you are right that he can change his fate with the hiring of standout OC and DC. +1 and agree to disagree.

Re: Thanks for responses WUeagle & Reynolds

Dec 28, 2018, 1:27 AM

You make some great points SocMan2 I just dislike it when fans automatically mention firing a coach. I have a great article written by TB’s wife about the fallout when the HC is fired. If I can find it I will T-mail it to you. In this day in time people want it now. Sometimes taking longer and building it the right way works out much better.

IMO I believe if Mark is given 5 to 7 years he will completely change Miami for the better.

I appreciate you comments and respect your input.

Happy New Year!

Re: Thanks for responses WUeagle & Reynolds

Dec 28, 2018, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Thanks for responses WUeagle & Reynolds ]

To set the record straight, I did not defend his coaching. I in fact criticised his coaching. I defended his character.

Dec 28, 2018, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Poor Mark Richt ]

Isn't his son John his QB couch?

A friend who went to school with him in Athens said his presence in such a key position will continue to be Mark's Achilles Heel. He said John is a nice guy but should not be counted on to be a leader or molder of men.

He never seemed like a great fit for Miami

Dec 27, 2018, 8:40 PM

IMO. Way too laid back for that program.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he is just a bad coach.a major part of our success can

Dec 27, 2018, 8:46 PM

be attributed to Richt 's under achieving at GA.I hated to see him leave Ga.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 9:42 PM

Seems like he’s falling into the same pattern he fell into at Georgia. Recruiting marginal character guys with the thought he can change them and spending more time on drama and discipline than pursuing excellence. Best is not the standard for Richt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,992
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic