Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden Wraps Up 2007 Season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Jan 3, 2008, 5:54 PM

Coach expects to know next week if his juniors are planning to return. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowen and his one play away crap

Jan 3, 2008, 5:57 PM

and pointing fingers at Oklahoma....I am a TB supporter but I can't stand this crap...

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Well yeah, but it is, you know, the truth.

Jan 3, 2008, 6:04 PM

I agree, I get a little tired of hearing it. But it is the truth. And I've got to believe that part of the reason that he repeats it like Dogma is to keep our players encouraged and remind recruits that we are on the doorstep of playing for championships.

What type of stance would you rather have him take? Act like Jim Mora and claim that we didn't do diddly-poo? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was "the one play away from a win" play at GT ? You can

Jan 3, 2008, 6:18 PM

make a case for BC, but what about the VT game?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a kick off return for a touchdown followed by a

Jan 3, 2008, 6:19 PM

forced fumbled for another TD.

In our system, it's considered one play. Or maybe it's considered a screen pass. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Against GT and VT I think it was the OPENING kickoff******

Jan 3, 2008, 6:26 PM

Re: What was "the one play away from a win" play at GT ? You

Jan 3, 2008, 7:37 PM [ in reply to What was "the one play away from a win" play at GT ? You can ]

one play for the VT game:

The coin toss. When we kicked in the second half we controlled the field pos.

Broadcast Talent. Show Host. PxP and Color Guy. Believer. As seen/heard on @nflnetwork @espn @foxsports @cbssports @1055theroar

In the GT game.....

Jan 3, 2008, 9:54 PM [ in reply to What was "the one play away from a win" play at GT ? You can ]

GT had 3 scoring drives....for a total of 17 yards! Granted, that isn't one play, but I would say the important play that went bad was the penalty that cost us a TD. I think it is a different game if our OL man doesn't rip the helmet off their DL man.

I agree....

Jan 3, 2008, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

At some point Bowden needs to say, "Look, we screwed up. We should have called _______ , or we should have done ________ ." Not, "Well, at least we lost in overtime and didn't get the crap beat out of us." Who the %&#! cares, MAN UP! Quit pointing fingers to make yourself look "better." ADAPT YOUR COACHING TO THE OPPONENT AND YOUR CAPABILITIES!...just my 2 cents.

Re: I further agree....

Jan 3, 2008, 6:11 PM

This "one play away" talk is TB's way of deflecting blame from him and his staff. At some point he needs to say that he and his coaching staff screwed up.

and at some point you and all the other haters need to

Jan 3, 2008, 7:05 PM

realize that your thoughts about Bowden and his staff don't mean anything to anyone that makes the decisions. Why clutter this "fan" board with your ever-negative input?

Photobucket

This board is for FAN OPINIONS....this is not the BOARD of

Jan 3, 2008, 9:27 PM

trustees...get over yourself

I thought it was a discussion board, not a chearleader board

Jan 4, 2008, 1:26 AM [ in reply to and at some point you and all the other haters need to ]

Are there rules somewhere that say you can only express your opinion if it provides unquestioning support for the coaches? I must have missed that fine print. Sorry. OK. Rah rah! Spence and Bowden are the best coaches that anyone could hope for. Once again, for NINE YEARS straight, we're one play away or something (even though we have four losses this season). But I'm sure that'll change next year. Rah rah! Go Tommy! Go Rob! You guys are the best.

Yeah, he has never taken responsibility. Ever.***

Jan 3, 2008, 6:33 PM [ in reply to I agree.... ]

riddle me this, batman...

Jan 3, 2008, 7:11 PM

why should he take the blame for Bucholtz's missed field goals against Ga Tech, and Auburn, or Aaron Kelley's missed catch against BC...all the plays mentioned above would have won the game... Plays THE COACHES CALLED... but the players missed. I guess you're just ignorant and stupid. moron...

Photobucket

I think you posted that to the wrong guy, no?***

Jan 3, 2008, 8:06 PM

Re: riddle me this, batman...

Jan 3, 2008, 9:33 PM [ in reply to riddle me this, batman... ]

I'm quite sure the plays "mentioned above" were the ONLY ones that would have won a game...yeah right..."plays THE COACHES CALLED" probably cost CU the game against BC... for example, ball on the 2 and you don't give it to Davis...there's the answer to your riddle, Robin

Didn't we try 3 runs once (in the same type situation)

Jan 4, 2008, 10:47 AM

against Auburn and had to settle for 3? That doesn't always work either.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn, GT, VT, & BC missed lots of plays too, but they won.***

Jan 4, 2008, 1:28 AM [ in reply to riddle me this, batman... ]

Re: I agree....

Jan 4, 2008, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I agree.... ]

Yeh it gets old to be close, but it beats when we weren't close. We really only got our butts kicked once this year (VT). I didn't see any preseason publications that picked us to be better than 7-5 this year so it's hard to be disappointed with 9 wins and a play or 2 (or a missed field goal or 10) away from 11 wins. We have GOT to get a dependable kicker! My biggest gripe with Tommy is sometimes he should give another guy a shot just as a spark if the starter is having an off day (ie Cullen at GT and Auburn, why not let Tribble play a series see if it creates a spark?, and Bucholz in those same games - give Jackson a shot) sticking with a hot hand is 1 thing but sticking with a cold hand.... Still, I think Tommy is our best alternative, don't really see anybody obvious that could step in and do any better. Plus, he's graduating kids and hasn't had any scandals.

maybe he didn't read the preseason article one coach away

Jan 3, 2008, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

from a championship.

I read it******

Jan 3, 2008, 6:24 PM

Re: Bowen and his one play away crap

Jan 3, 2008, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

I am tired of it also. Our lines are too soft. On offense we need to be able to run the ball on 3rd and 4 or 5. If we don't make it we have to be able to get a first down on 4th and 1 or 2. That gives us an option to try for the first down or kick a long field goal. This year we didn't have that option because the OL was too soft. I think that BS needs to be moved and we need to take a hard look at our strength program and coach. I can't recall an OF lineman being drafted in the first round or an OF lineman starting for an NFL team in many years. Were the Bostics the last? We get 5 star players out of high school but they don't get better or stronger in four or five years at Clemson. The DL was better but Alburn ran for 8 or 9 yards to often and seemed to score from 5 yards out untouched! I know we didn't have two starting LBs but these are the players we will have next year. Sorry for the length but I think this is our biggest problem.

Has "One Play Away" replaced "Wait Till Next Year"?***

Jan 3, 2008, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

What does my son Bowen have to do with this?***

Jan 3, 2008, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

Your son Bowen needs to quit his

Jan 3, 2008, 7:06 PM

excuse-making and BRING US A DADGUM ACC TITLE!!
;)

He will, but you'll have to wait 10 years...he'sonly 8

Jan 3, 2008, 7:13 PM

but he's the biggest Clemson fan I know (maybe second biggest)

He's had EIGHT YEARS and hasn't brought us

Jan 3, 2008, 7:37 PM

a championship - he should be FIRED!

;)

Point for the witty response...LOL...but...

Jan 3, 2008, 7:44 PM

...MY SON IS A CHAMPION!

Sorry...forgottogive you the point I promised...***

Jan 3, 2008, 8:23 PM [ in reply to He's had EIGHT YEARS and hasn't brought us ]

You're saying another Tangerine bowl blowout would be better

Jan 3, 2008, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

because Bowden wouldn't be able to say use his "one play away crap"?

We have some crazy fans, when improving not only your winning record isn't good enough, but going from blowout losses to close losses is somehow going in reverse. (not that bad andino said that, but I'm sure some around here have)

Re: Bowen and his one play away crap

Jan 30, 2011, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

I agree. I do not hate Bowden.........right now. It's like he's trying to #### me off.

Wonder if we will be one play away next year? Probably.***

Jan 4, 2008, 3:40 AM [ in reply to Bowen and his one play away crap ]

Some surprises in those that may transfer?***

Jan 3, 2008, 6:06 PM

CJ?***

Jan 3, 2008, 6:26 PM

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

Re: He is good at...

Jan 3, 2008, 6:41 PM

deflecting attention from himself and his staff when it comes to not winning the big one, and I get tired of hearing this stuff too. Will he ever say, "Hey, I could have done a better job. I did not have my team prepared."? Probably not. It is just not his style.

My hope is that next year everyone comes back, we bring in a great recruiting class, our offense is tweaked to include better short yardage packages, and we finally win the ACC. I fully expect good things to happen next year.

Wash Rinse Repeat...Wash Rinse Repeat

Jan 3, 2008, 6:56 PM

Bmiest, you might as well save this whole article to be reposted at this time AGAIN next year when TB's team chokes once again. He'll NEVER win 10 games at Clemson. He'll NEVER compete for an ACC championship.

if you call yourself a Clemson fan, you're a disgrace....

Jan 3, 2008, 6:59 PM

if you don't call yourself a clemson fan, GO AWAY

Photobucket

Unfortunately, I am caught with the rest of you suckers

Jan 3, 2008, 7:05 PM

swirling around the drain as TB laughs all the way to the bank and can't even crack into double digit wins.

And to think, we were 1 play away from you being gone.

Jan 3, 2008, 7:06 PM

Oh, what might have been.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ha! I'll tell you what, this will be my last post until the

Jan 3, 2008, 7:10 PM

end of next football season when, once again, I will sadly be proven right.

I'll leave you Bowden true believers alone to high five and slap each other on the butts for awhile.

Well......

Jan 3, 2008, 7:12 PM

bye.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Highlight and copy.***

Jan 3, 2008, 7:32 PM [ in reply to ha! I'll tell you what, this will be my last post until the ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Hey Macin.......one more thing.....

Jan 3, 2008, 10:45 PM [ in reply to ha! I'll tell you what, this will be my last post until the ]

stay gone....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

One play away....hmmmm?

Jan 4, 2008, 8:29 AM

Someone needs to let the coach know there are 60 minutes of football in a game. A football team should never be dependent on one play to sway the outcome of the game. I know one play can make a difference in a tight game, but how about beat Auburn, BC, GT, and VT like we beat Furman, Central Michigan, and Duke, just once. All we can hope for is that the staff will continue to out recruit their coaching ability.

Re: One play away....hmmmm?

Jan 4, 2008, 11:33 AM

"but how about beat Auburn, BC, GT, and VT like we beat Furman, Central Michigan, and Duke, just once"

Yeah, why DON'T we beat top 15 programs like they were Div II teams? Should be freaking easy as hale.

Genius.

Re: Bowden Wraps Up 2007 Season

Jan 4, 2008, 4:02 PM

I too am very tired of the one play away crap. The truth is that if we had a kicker with even 85% accuraccy we're probably 11-2 or maybe 13-1 depending on how you look at it.
GT-- 4 misses= 12 points (lost by: 10) result =W
VT-- 2 misses= 6 points (lost by: 11) result =L
BC-- 3 misses= 9 points (lost by: 3) result =W
AU-- 2 misses= 6 points (lost by: 3 in OT) result =W
With only one loss in the ACC we would have been in the ACC championship game, and probably won it. I'm not blaming the coaches or even the kicker, but somebody in the Atheletic dept. needs to realize the difference between winning championships and losing Peach Bowls is special teams. I thought they realized that when they went after and got those punts against USC, but again I was proven wrong. Hopefully Bowden is desprately looking for a special teams cord. It would make all the difference in the world. Another aspect is that GT blocked a punt and scored on the next play, and that VT had 2 returned kicks for TD's (almost 3). No championship team has ever gotten there without being really good at all 3 phases of the game. We won't either.

Jan 5, 2008, 12:28 PM

Parade All-American, the first Parade All-America kicker to come to Clemson since Chris Gardocki in 1988...rated as the #3 place kicker in the nation by Rivals.com...set the state record with a 64-yard field goal as a senior (didn't we need some absurdly long field goal to tie vs. BC after Spence called a double move pump fake?)

Oh wait, he's a freshman and there is a junior kicker on the team. No chance he gets to start until 2009. Surely he got a chance to kick in the GT game, right? This has nothing to do with recruiting. This has everything to do with coaching. And our coach would rather lose the Peach bowl close than a BCS bowl by 20 (after going to conference champ game, winning it, and ending the season with 11 wins). That's our coach?

Jan 5, 2008, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden Wraps Up 2007 Season ]

Everyone needs to come off of Bucholz.

He only missed one kick that I can remember that was inside of 45 yards. The coaches need to stop sending him out there from way long range. He's a soccer player for goodness sake. I imagine he makes those 45-50 yarders in practice or Tommy wouldn't keep sending him out there. Heck he made a 52 yarder in a game. The coaches just need to go for it when we are on the 35. Besides when is the last time we HAD a kicker of any merit?

(And if RJ was better I'm pretty sure the coaching staff would have him in there. They are stupid but not that stupid.)

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic