Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Phommachanh's tape is incredible, but with the portal....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Phommachanh's tape is incredible, but with the portal....

Jul 30, 2019, 10:22 AM

why would he stay? He is a 4.66 average star, 6'4, 215, accurate, mobile QB, DW clone sitting behind TL and Chase Brice and then probably then DJ... How does this work for a QB like him? Go up by 4 TD's and then put him against Alabama in the NC game, or score so efficiently against all of our opponents that he takes the whole second half and pulls a Tom Brady into the NFL? What if he were your kid? What would be the reason (as easy as they have made this new college free agency) to stay?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Family wants him at Clemson

Jul 30, 2019, 10:25 AM

After he gets his degree, who knows ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good answer...

Jul 30, 2019, 10:28 AM

Not too many kids and families like that around anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right about that Brown... point for you!

Jul 30, 2019, 10:36 AM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The portal is not new....the portal has not changed

Jul 30, 2019, 10:28 AM

College football in any way.

It is just new terminology and more visibility to rules that have been in place for decades.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Ok.***

Jul 30, 2019, 10:29 AM

The portal is new

Jul 30, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to The portal is not new....the portal has not changed ]

Transfers aren’t new but the physical location that all of them are listed (the portal) is new

Re: Phommachanh's tape is incredible, but with the portal....

Jul 30, 2019, 10:33 AM

There is no guarantee that DJ starts in front of him. Neither has taken a college snap. Even TL had to earn the job in the regular season.

Jul 30, 2019, 10:34 AM

Because he has a good chance to start when TL leaves. He has as much chance as anyone.

You never know. I don't wish injury or suspension on anyone

Jul 30, 2019, 10:34 AM

but you just never know when a kid might slip up in one way or another. I'm curious why even bring that up on the Clemson board? Hmmm.. I seriously doubt the kid just saw your post and said out loud.. "Dude! that guy is right! What the heck am I doing?" He has a plan. First among them is a Clemson degree is a pretty nice one to have hanging on the office wall!

Re: You never know. I don't wish injury or suspension on anyone

Jul 30, 2019, 10:38 AM

Ha! I posted right after you did and both of us were thinking along the same lines. Must be something to what we are saying. :)

Jul 30, 2019, 10:37 AM

You never know, with injuries, graduations, transfers, suspensions, ineffectiveness. Players do come and go. Phommachanh may get his chance sooner than one thinks.

Jul 30, 2019, 10:40 AM

I agree that in time that we will likely see another QB in the portal, but other than saying that it won't be TL, I think the who is up in the air. Chase Brice played well, was composed under pressure, and stood out in an awkward situation. However, I do not think that he has the natural abilities that TP has. Phommachanh will have the same advantage over DJ that you are giving Brice, in that he will have a year more learning the offense. I do not know where Phommachanh will fall when TL moves on, but it certainly is possible that it is the starting QB of our Clemson Tigers.

Hunter and Zerrick transfered

Jul 30, 2019, 10:44 AM

Both highly recruited as well. Chase decided to stay. Some will stay and some will go. Transferring seemed to work out for Hunter and Zerrick. And Chase seems to be happy.

Different strokes for different folks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hunter and Zerrick transfered

Jul 30, 2019, 11:16 AM

Jury is still out on Hunter. He hasn’t taken a snap at NW yet.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he gets a degree from northwestern..

Jul 30, 2019, 11:40 AM

I think things will be in his favor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 30, 2019, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter and Zerrick transfered ]

Hasn't taken a snap, but they have announced him as the starter for 2019.

Jul 30, 2019, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Hunter and Zerrick transfered ]

This.

Actually, I love Brice but I see him taking a different path as he seems to have an unusual focus, passion, and academic process to the game.

I think he will be similar ro Mark Richt. A great QB that just happens to share the Jersey with HOF level QBs (Jim Kelly/Kosar/Testaverde). I would not be shocked if Brice is a future HOF coach if anything. You kinda see that in him.

Hunter will be good, there is no doubt and I think the B10 "style" will make him look like more of a standout.

My best guess

Jul 30, 2019, 10:45 AM

Is that Brice and Taisun will learn, get backup reps, get their degrees then grad transfer somewhere else.

If memory serves they both enrolled early so there’s the possibility that they could graduate early and have 2 years of eligibility remaining assuming Taisun redshirts this year.

What "if" Dabo gets struck by a lightening bolt?

Jul 30, 2019, 10:54 AM

Seriously, you're making a lot of assumptions (negative).

Why wouldn't he, or any other QB want to play for the best college football program and coaches in the country? If he's that talented and smart (which he is) then he'll have a chance to compete with and win a QB competition against Chase, and DJ.

What "if" Chase or DJ transfer? What "if one of them gets injured, etc...? Phommacanh would be the likely starter. Maybe he never starts.

You have no idea how it's going to play out. But running away from a great education, and coaching staff because you're afraid of competition is what losers do.

Phommacanh clearly more nut-sack than you do. If he was my kind I'd tell him to go to the best possible program, and then compete his behind-off and let the chips fall where they may.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree...

Jul 30, 2019, 11:29 AM

My son plays LB for a pretty competitive school and he is working his butt off to start and keep his position starting as a sophomore on the varsity. I would not let him transfer as his parent. This was more of a comment about the transfer portal's affect on stacked and deep talent sitting the bench. I was just super impressed by his tape and thought it might be tempting, since there is only one QB position on the field and rotating them in and out hurts rhythm.

BTW- the nut sack comment was uncalled for. Just making convo with fellow Tiger graduates, friends and fans. I thought this was the venue to do that without having to take friendly fire insults. Oh well- we live in a hateful/ personal attacking/insult throwing world, even in an "all-in" orange world like tigernet.

He may be the 2nd best QB on the team. He looked great

Jul 30, 2019, 11:24 AM

in the spring game.

He looked cool, calm and collected and in control. He threw the ball on time and accurately and when he had to pull the ball down, he looked really fast and athletic. I'm excited to see him in a game.

Taisun knew he'd be behind TL when he signed

Jul 30, 2019, 1:08 PM

But it's a good question to ask with DJ coming in. He'll definitely stay through the QB battle after Trevor is gone, but just look at how many transfers we've had lately: Bryant, Johnson, Israel, Cooper...it's a lot. The way we're recruiting, I don't see that changing.

Only one QB can hold the ball at a time. The transfer portal allows starting caliber QBs behind slightly better QBs to go somewhere and start, dramatically increasing their chances at making an NFL team. It's so easy for us to sit on our fat ***** and say stuff like "he's scared of competition" or "he was never all-in", but what's REALLY to be gained when you're a clear second-fiddle? Especially if you work your butt off, have great leadership characteristics and are a great kid? You're wasting your potential by not starting, and if your team recruits at an elite level it's not necessarily your fault that you're not starting.

He may not stay, or he may stay...

Jul 30, 2019, 1:33 PM

but either way, he will have done so with all of the information needed to make logical decision. He knew that he would be behind TLaw probably for at least two years, OR, he was supremely confident in himself that he could earn the QB1 job regardless of whomever else was on the roster. I hope that he isn't concerned with DJU coming in next year just as he was not concerned with TLaw already being here. Taisun is a bright young man with a bright future, that I personally don't believe will take a backseat to DJU when that time comes...

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic