Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My fears regarding Watson....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,685

My fears regarding Watson....

Nov 15, 2014, 10:31 PM

...seem to be coming true.

First off, Watson stays healthy today, Tigers win fairly comfortably. I believe that's a given.

However, since first watching him play, I've had this nagging feeling in my gut that he just looks a tad "fragile" in the role. He throws, runs, thinks and reads a tremendous game no doubt....I'm convinced a Heisman level aptitude at QB. Perhaps some thickening up in the weight-room could do him a world of good. We also have to remember he just turned 19, NINETEEN!!!!, so some natural thickening may still be on the way for him anyway.

When he gets hit, it shows....ragdoll like. And, I don't think 3, count 'em THREE serious bone/connector injuries in the last 7 months is a coincidence, unfortunately.

Anyone else whince when they see him take off running??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My fears regarding Watson....

Nov 15, 2014, 10:33 PM

one was a finger. the other a non contact knee. clavicle or collar bone depends on how you land. so, we're talking bones and a possible ligament.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Did he drink his milk?! **

Nov 15, 2014, 10:36 PM

GoTiGs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU has a great dairy program...I sure drank my fill as a...

Nov 15, 2014, 10:39 PM

...student when I was there. Could never get enough of that chocolate.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Nov 15, 2014, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: My fears regarding Watson.... ]

Yes, bones and ligaments was my point...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adding muscle mass wouldn't protect against ligament

Nov 15, 2014, 10:36 PM

Injuries...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Adding muscle mass wouldn't protect against ligament

Nov 15, 2014, 10:39 PM

Bones and Ligaments and connectors tabs grow and strengthen to accommodate new muscle mass.

Nov 15, 2014, 10:40 PM

mass does not help for breaking a bone. I deal with ortho and athletes everyday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Bigger muscles have a tendancy to cause more shearing of

Nov 15, 2014, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Adding muscle mass wouldn't protect against ligament ]

tendons (not ligaments) due to their increased contractile force. What strengthens in one area, weakens another...

I'm just spit balling here...

Nov 15, 2014, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Adding muscle mass wouldn't protect against ligament ]

Actually muscle mass does help protect ligaments. The larger, stronger muscles help hold the bones in better alignment under stress & contact. Limiting torsion, and other unwanted force. Ligaments tend to benefit from the same things that building muscle do. So, adding bulk would be the best thing for Watson.
We still don't know if Watson has a torn ACL at this point. The facts are four injuries that all equaled to missed playing time. That is never coincidence. The good news is he has a professional nutritionist & strength/conditioning team to help correct any deficiencies. I can imagine how Watson feels! We think it sucks for us as fans & alumni.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. People seem to think that Watson has simply had...

Nov 15, 2014, 10:37 PM

three, perfectly coincidental bad breaks (actually four, if you count his senior year in high school). Four injuries that led to missed games are unlikely mere coincidences. An underlying deficiency within Watson himself (e.g., too fragile or light) may be causing these repeated problems .

Nov 15, 2014, 10:52 PM

I just posted at length about the same thing. It goes a little further back. Watson missed a big chunk of his senior year due to injury. He absolutely has Heisman skills! In a very thin body! The nutrition program needs to put him on 15-20,000 calories a day. Protein & carbs. Reps in the weight room. That will add the bulk he needs to be the qb Morris asks him to be. Or, make him a pocket passer only. He can be just as successful that way! And, a heck of a lot healthier! I honestly believe in a perfect world you redshirt him this year & pack on 20lbs to get his body ready for the college level. Kelly mouthing off & Richt transferring killed that! His future is bright, IF he has the body to play college. In the pros the offensive coordinator would protect him. Not ask him to make those tough runs up the gut! A RB has the shortest career of all players! A pocket passer, the longest. The playbook can be built to protect him. There are two solutions to the apparent problem. I just hope one, or both are realized sooner than later!

The game against USuCk has just taken a totally different turn! Grrrr! If we can just pull that one out!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is such thing as...

Nov 15, 2014, 10:52 PM

...toughening up!! Not so much more muscle mass as toughening skin, bones and joints.

Larry Czonka of Miami Dolphins early 70s fame used to do block drills against a solid block wall. Karate experts toughen their "karate chop" hands and arms to be able to break stacks of bricks....by building up to harder and harder "things to break" over time and lots and lots and whacks at it.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,685
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic