Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spent the past week visiting Louisville on business and I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Spent the past week visiting Louisville on business and I

Sep 30, 2016, 11:43 PM

have to say that there's not a lot of pomposity going on up there as I expected.

Callers on sports talk shows were optimistic on their chances but mostly respectful, and hosts also were quick to quell negative comments, especially DW4's "L" hand signs that had some fans in a tizzy, explaining the backstory on the recently deceased artist and deflecting away from an outward Louisville challenge.

There was also a humorous exchange on how, despite how easy it should be to dis on an outspoken coach like he is, they couldn't help but really like Dabo and his genuine nature. They talked about wanting to hate on him, but they just couldn't do it. Deep down, they seem to feel like he's one of the good guys doing things the right way, and they know they're in for a helluva fight.

Sporting the paw hat when I could, there was nothing but good-natured ribbing. Very happy to have traded out Maryland for Louisville. Big time win for the ACC, and Clemson, on this one.

Go Tigers! TCB!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Academics not on an ACC level...

Sep 30, 2016, 11:46 PM

Which is kinda the whole point of a University and conference affiliation. To educate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Louisville's Academics are the lowest in ACC.

Sep 30, 2016, 11:58 PM

might even be below some SEC schools. Okay, Mississippi State and Arkansas might be lower.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several

Oct 1, 2016, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Academics not on an ACC level... ]

Louisville grads. I didn't see a lick of difference between their smarts and the many Clemson folk I spend time with at home in SC. I don't buy into that kind of elitist talk. Not every school is a Harvard or Yale, including Clemson. You get out of a college education what you put into it, wherever that might be. I also spend a lot of time working with many highly successful and intelligent folks who don't have college degrees - their degrees are from schools of hard knocks. Many a diehard Clemson fan I know also never set foot in a Clemson classroom. They are my orange brothers and sisters just the same.

Athletic conferences are just that - athletic conferences. Conference affiliations don't educate - an individual's desire to expand their mind is what educates. Geesh.

####, man.. That's a great post. TU.***

Oct 1, 2016, 12:20 AM

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

Re: I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several

Oct 1, 2016, 1:02 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

Amen brother.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gave you a tu on the 1st post, but it wont let me tu this one too..

Oct 1, 2016, 1:27 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

Great post!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

nice post, but

Oct 1, 2016, 1:46 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

while there are always exceptions, our academics are better than LVille overall

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nice post, but

Oct 1, 2016, 6:44 AM

Who cares ?????

we care chucklehead!

Oct 1, 2016, 9:54 AM

That (this post) is what a fan forum 'is'!

(since you seem to be a tad slow, let me further simplify and say we like to share info AND discuss our Tigers and their opponents)

If you don't want to hear it, just leave.

Dipstick!

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

"Dipstick"... +1***

Oct 1, 2016, 9:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

i remember

Oct 1, 2016, 7:22 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

A few years ago when an announcer made a number of unkind remarks about the iq of the Cardinal basketball team when they were ranked

That's very true about choosing what you get out of school

Oct 1, 2016, 7:28 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

I know some real idiots who graduated from GaTech. I think they're overall academics aren't as high as the other schools. This may get better over time, especially if they feel any kind of peer pressure.

I hear their are some UNC grads that have never seen a class

Oct 1, 2016, 7:30 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

room.

there are.........***

Oct 1, 2016, 7:47 AM

Re: I hear their are some UNC grads that have never seen a class

Oct 1, 2016, 8:53 AM [ in reply to I hear their are some UNC grads that have never seen a class ]

Too funny, Spud! I live in NC and I am so tired of hearing about the exemplary education you get there. Go Tigers!

Re: I hear their are some UNC grads that have never seen a class

Oct 1, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to I hear their are some UNC grads that have never seen a class ]

Louisville has had a few incarnations as a University. A small private school for centuries (established in 1798), it was the first city-owned public university in the US as well as the first chartered university west of the Alleghenies. In that light, as a private metropolitan research institute, they produced some truly excellent results in Medical Science - the first self-contained artificial heart transplant surgery - the world-famous crackerjack team on call 24/7 to reattach severed limbs in accidents. The ambulance and the ER were essentially invented there and it had the nation's first-ever blood bank. Medically, UofL has an outstanding reputation and always has. Along with the excellent Bradeis School of Law producing no end of arsehole lawyers, lol, they also have an engineering program of intense involvement and accomplishment in the Speed School of Engineering.

Otherwise, much of the university has tended to suffer from almost predictable urban problems. They sadly lost the race to remain independent following the 60's and 70's, hemorrhaging money and got bailed out with the aid of the Kentucky legislature, a Faustian bargain which was designed to favor athletic rival and big time local hater, UK. Professorships were lost, grant money died out and the urge of the Kentucky legislature to render it an adjunct of UK nearly won the day - we were very nearly The University of Kentucky @ Louisville, lol. Gag me with a spoon. ;)

But a series of forward-thinking Presidents realized they had a local factor which could redound much in the favor of the University. Louisville has a large corporate culture. From Humana to KFC/now Yum!Brands, the central and world HQ hub of UPS, all Ford Truck manufacturing, banking and Insurance centers, Louisville is the engine of the state wide economy. An incredibly devoted alumni base began donating in successively larger and larger amounts until a critical mass of sheer independence was earned. $1.1 Billion in campus improvements and physical plant additions have been added since 2002, making the campus far prettier and actually architecturally interesting. A new paradigm was also set, demanding a frank increase in scholastics and a lessening of the urban mission, tresnding more towards a true research university. The local corporate culture has deeply invested in this as well - another Billion dollar research park is well beyond the planning phase and will house university and corporate partnerships with the local groups.

The visionary AD, Tom Jurich, decided to reach for academic improvement in sports as well. The alternative would be to languish in sub par conferences. He aimed at the top. It was sort of insane, really, at the time, the pretensions of this urge to compete at the highest levels. But the combination of excellent fund raising on the part of President Ramsay and Jurich, combined with their vision in athletics, has turned the entire University on its ear. Currently, Louisville's profile is decidedly up. Qualifying ACT scores are 25% higher than 15 years ago, more doctorates and advanced degrees offered and accepted, a record number of Fullbright Scholars yearly, currently more than all the combined colleges in Kentucky put together.

The effort towards improving the academic profile is a work in progress, but it is definitely moving. I hope this helps a little in that light.

Oct 1, 2016, 7:39 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

When I was young I did not take advantage of time at Clemson, I played around. Education will open doors and give you opportunities, but once you walk through that door it is up to you to exceed expectations. Fortunately for me, when I decided to get serious about life, the good lord blessed me with opportunities. Success is measured many ways. Having a great family has always been my goal. Having an education does not guarantee success.

Yeah...and Harvard and Yale ain't Clemson...William

Oct 1, 2016, 7:51 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

F. Buckley said the had rather take the first hundred names out of the Boston telephone directory and have them run this country than the faculty at Harvard.....amen!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah...and Harvard and Yale ain't Clemson...William

Oct 2, 2016, 10:13 PM

agree with you 100%,but his actual remark is that he would rather be governed by the 1st 2000 people in the boston phone book then the 2000 members of the harvard faculty.i went to grad school in boston and had a goodly number of ivy league people as classmates.they were no better prepared than I was coming from CU.success doesn't automatically follow getting a degree.common sense is a much more valuable commodity in the real world.just an aside-i delivered buckley's mail in stamford,ct while employed as summer help back in the early 70's.sadly never did get to meet him though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Awesome post, well said!***

Oct 1, 2016, 8:38 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

Excellent post... +1.***

Oct 1, 2016, 9:16 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2016, 11:56 AM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

Teaching on the college level in S.C. I can attest to the post about education. Some students feel entitled and want everything handed to them, but many if not most recognize they have to earn whatever they desire in school and life.

Go Tigers!

Education is in the heart of the student not the University.

Oct 1, 2016, 12:16 PM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

We select better students and cull through those who fail to have the spirit of being educated in their hearts. Clemson's demand for more progress in the classroom and study habits are much greater.

That does not mean that all UL's grad were not good students and intelligent professionals but UL's standards are not as our's. They do not demand excellence in academics as does Clemson. Anecdotal evidence * is not sufficient to compare the basic difference in the academics between Clemson and Louisville nor the difference in quality of education each school's average student receives.

For the average UL student:

* Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes. Where only one or a few anecdotes ** are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.

** an·ec·dote
? an?k?d?t/
noun
plural noun: anecdotes
a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
"told anecdotes about his job"
synonyms: story, tale, narrative, incident;

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Education is in the heart of the student not the University.

Oct 2, 2016, 10:16 PM

you can get a great education at a no name school and a lousy education at a big name school.like you said it's all in the heart of the student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Louisville has been a good addition for the ACC. Have

Oct 2, 2016, 10:17 PM [ in reply to I actually spent quite a bit of time working with several ]

always heard good things about their fans and they travel which is a plus.

Clemson wasn't even recognized as a University...

Oct 1, 2016, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Academics not on an ACC level... ]

until the mid-60s & entered into the ACC as Clemson Agricultural College.

It took all of a hall pass to get into Clemson until recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you need a conference to educate?

Oct 1, 2016, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Academics not on an ACC level... ]

I thought the SOLE purpose of conferences was for sports. Aren't they even called Athletic Conferences?

Interesting read...
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2012/11/when-and-why-did-colleges-start-joining-athletic-conferences/

Re: Academics not on an ACC level...

Oct 1, 2016, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Academics not on an ACC level... ]

Yeah. Just like the Tarholes.

UNC kind of killed that whole academic standard thing

Oct 1, 2016, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Academics not on an ACC level... ]

You can not get worse than not going to class.

It's all fun and games until you drive off on a motorcycle

Sep 30, 2016, 11:50 PM

with a cute volleyball player then see how much they like you.

Re: Spent the past week visiting Louisville on business and I

Oct 1, 2016, 12:56 AM

If we do play our best game of the season this Saturday, and if we were to be capable of blowing those woodpeckers out, I do not want to see that kind of game. If we were to beat Louie for more than 2 TDs, the national media would be screaming that Louie wasn't that good and that it was a fluke win over FSU just to degrade our win and tell how FSU would be making up for their loss to louie with us. I think that most of us know by now that if we was to win the NC 4 years in a row, the media would come up with some reason why it was the teams we played fault. And we shouldn't have won bc of this or that. I just hope it's a good game with us winning by 10!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spent the past week visiting Louisville on business and I

Oct 1, 2016, 1:00 PM

I would love for us to blow them out. Who cares what others think

Not sure how ANYONE from Louisville can diss our Dabo

Oct 1, 2016, 2:08 AM

for just about anything. I get you were saying they were basically being nice, but of almost any coach in the USA, Dabo and Petrino could NOT be more polar opposite *people*, and I'm sure Dabo is ok with that. I am, too. Thank you for the insight...interesting to hear their perspectives. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happy to include UofL, but wish UMD had stay the course.

Oct 1, 2016, 8:37 AM

It was tough saying goodbye to a founding member, at least for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

screw em

Oct 1, 2016, 9:58 AM

they're getting ready to get throttled

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

My cousin lives up there and loves it, class act bunch of fans***

Oct 1, 2016, 11:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic