Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I actually kind of like Amy Coney Barrett
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 288

I actually kind of like Amy Coney Barrett

Sep 22, 2020, 7:04 AM

I am not certain that right now - in the middle of a pandemic - is the time to be striking down the ACA. Nobody likes ObamaCare but if you go and blow it up right now, millions of people are going to get hurt. I'm also dreading the fight for her confirmation and the effect it may have on our country.

But in much the same way as an effective press needs a center-left lean - with a liberal's ingrained mistrust of authority without lapsing into an actual leftist's penchant for progressivism and reform; advocation is not the press's job - a successful judge must, IMHO, be center-right. I prefer strict-constructionists and textualists, not liberal-activist judges who have dramatically increased the power of the judiciary far beyond its intent and who twist (and in the process, weaken) the law to the point people stop having faith in it. I prefer a measured and cautious approach to breaking precedent.

Barrett apparently has all of that.

The main thing I want from a court is fairness and consistency...and above all else I want them to be principled judges who understand and believe in a common standard of law. The main thing a Court needs to be effective is its impartiality, that it will enforce the the law with the same standard and by the same set of rules no matter who stands before it.

And while I don't want a liberal activist, I also don't want a culture warrior or sycophant...and Barrett is none of those things. She definitely comes across as another Anton Scalia, who I respected a lot.

A strict-constructionist and textualist isn't going to blow up Roe v. Wade or the ACA because they don't agree with its principles. They might go: hey, this part doesn't work, go back and write a better (or more constitutional) law...which can have consequences. But they are also not going to bend before political pressure and they aren't going to roll over for a corrupt president or Congress...no matter what party they might be from.

Right now, for instance, Trump is likely mesmerized by the prospect that Barrett will probably strike down the ACA, or the fact that her appointment will please his evangelical base who haven't been super-happy with either Gorsuch or Kavanaugh. And the liberals will focus on those issues as well, as well as screeching in rage at the fact that Barrett, if nominated, is going to get shoved into Ruth Ginsberg's seat.

But at the end of the day, Barrett has an almost pristine legal mind and is seemingly as incorruptible a judge as there is...which over the long run, is kryptonite to populists - on both sides of the aisle. Because populists can indeed be of either stripe and American politics is lousy with them right now...and judges like Barrett - if she is as advertised - tend to be immune to political expediency. And that is usually far more important than the issue of the moment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/20/us/politics/supreme-court-barrett.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I appreciate that you kind of like Amy Coney Barrett

Sep 22, 2020, 12:42 PM

Republicans, imo, are not seeking jurist who are radical right wing activist. That defiles the morality of originalism and is counter to our hate for activists judges who by faith find law which isn't written. We aren't looking for an 'undoing,' we only want to stop the activism.

If I was seeking to undo all the last 50 years of faith based law from the SCOTUS I would impeach 8 and leave only Thomas to be Chief Justice. I would seat 8 people who aren't lawyers but fundamental Christian pastors who hate progressivism.

It's just wrong to think that the right would radicalize the courts. I have no desire to have church and state joined at the hip. You may be thinking I'm that way because I love America. You're right but I don't seek a union of church and state so I can protect The Church.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 1:26 PM

Hmm. A little surprising...but I agree.

If she's as advertised, she might actually end up being the best of the three judges Trump has appointed thus far...and while there's no denying Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are conservative, thus far, anyway, they've lived up to their "Well Qualified" ratings from the ABA and performed as you'd expect top-of-their-profession jurists to perform. They definitely haven't done loopy stuff like Alito and especially Thomas have (and certainly nobody would confuse them with liberal activists!)

Given time, a court with enough of these kind of justices would have a calming effect on politics and the law because the courts won't get treated as a third branch of Congress anymore, crafting law by judicial decree.

I'm just worried mightily about the circumstances of her confirmation...and that as one of her first acts she may have to strike down the ACA.

Those are not "calming" circumstances. We've already got riots on the street.

If the court is smart, they'll punt on the ACA issue for awhile if she gets confirmed. And then duck and cover.

Sep 22, 2020, 1:45 PM

I'm not sure they can, in good faith, punt on the ACA.

Imo, the only thing to calm America is a strong, overwhelming show of force to deter rioting and serious prison time for rioters starting with the leaders. Any thoughts that the radicals in the streets can be appeased ignores the fact, as they state, they want to tear down our government and have anarchy.

Defunding the police, imo, was a drop of blood in the shark tank. I also believe the left knew that when cities reduced police funding and instructed their forces to stand down.

America can't allow trash like those rioting to change how we live, how we judge or how we execute judgements. That's rewarding bad behavior. You don't give a terrorist what he wants because that only makes him more committed to resorting to terrorizing you for greater demands.

If protesting is what satisfies their pursuit of happiness that's fine but it should never interfere
with other's pursuit of happiness. Rioting is not a legitimate pursuit of anything but destruction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 1:53 PM

A "show of force" against the American people?

I cannot think of a worse idea right now. You think things are out of control now....

Yeah ... but who did she grope in HS?

Sep 22, 2020, 1:21 PM

That’s the real question the Dems need answered

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah ... but who did she grope in HS?

Sep 22, 2020, 1:37 PM

I hope they don't pull this kind of stuff out again. America doesn't need it right now.

If they can't stop it - and they can't - they should not make a scene and resort to gutter politics again. I understand there's going to be a world of butthurt because McConnell stole that seat - but take it up with McConnell and the GOP when the opportunity presents itself, don't go after the judge herself and make a scene just because you're a Dem and you're angry.

If it becomes obvious the Dems can't stop it, the Dems should just show some dignity this time around. Just don't vote if you feel the need to make a statement. Get up and leave before the vote is called. Something. But don't hoot and holler and scream like a baboon with bleeding piles and fling poop around the Senate, and that's what they did last time around...and what do you know, Kavanaugh got confirmed anyway because Mitch had the votes and he always had the votes.

Save the political theater for the hall outside, you know?

Replies: 6
| visibility 288
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic