Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Was a Big Winner in Tallahassee !!!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

I Was a Big Winner in Tallahassee !!!!!!

Oct 29, 2018, 4:22 PM

Not in 2918 but way back in 1946 when most of you were not yet in diapers. I dated a beautiful young lady before Uncle Sam requested my attendance at an Army Induction Center in 1942. We somehow drifted apart. She was at that time a student at Maryville College in Tennessee. Having no brothers and being of a patriotic bent, she joined the Navy WAVES.

Now, fast forward to 1946. I had returned to the Univ, of Florida and this beautiful young lady resumed her studies, this time at FSU. One of our mutual friends told me she was now at FSU. That relit the candle in old Joe21's heart and I placed a call. She was coming home that weekend and I was welcome to come to see her and exchange pleasantries. That date didn't light a candle, it lit a bonfire. And on Dec. 7, 1946, on a cold bench at FSU. she said "YES". I have always told my friends she wouldn't let me go back inside where it was warm until I said "YES".

It was about 125 miles from Gainesville to Tally and I didn't have a car. One of my brothers came to my rescue. Soon after he got his discharge after WW2, he purchased a surplus Jeep that had no top. He was one of those people who thought of everything. He built and installed a cover over the transmission, connecting the two front seats. He called it the courting bench.

Our wedding was scheduled for Sept. 3, 1947. She was to remain at FSU through the spring semester and then transfer to the Univ. of Florida for the fall semester. During the spring semester I had a schedule with no Monday classes but two on Saturday AM. Every other week end I would drive to Tallahassee unless she was coming home for the weekend I spent Saturday and Sunday night in a rooming house near the campus.

Sunday night was a ritual. We always ate in the FSU dining hall. She could not go out on Sunday night. One of the Dietitians was a former high school classmate and she would always join us. This was my introduction to "Six Bean Salad". I accused my friend of using all of the left over beans and combining them for the salad.

And that is how I became a big winner in Tallahassee.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang Joe you haven’t run into the same circumstances as

Oct 29, 2018, 4:29 PM

Mr. Jinx have you? ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dang Joe you haven’t run into the same circumstances as

Oct 29, 2018, 4:56 PM

Northwest this past weekend I was flipping channels and came across a movie from the early 70's called White Lightning starring Burt Reynolds the man that played his father in that movie was Dabbs Greer the elderly man from The Green Mile

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Was a Big Winner in Tallahassee !!!!!!

Oct 29, 2018, 4:47 PM

It's obvious a gremlin resides in my computer. I would have sworn I hit the "0" key but the gremlin hit the "9".

Now, another story about that Jeep. FSU was at that time changing from an "all girls" school to both guys and gals with the majority of the students at that time being girls. There were several girls I knew from my old home town who were now students at FSU. One weekend, one of the girls asked if she and several of her friends could borrow the Jeep.

When they returned, they were laughing and said, "guess what we did"? I had no idea what they had done and then the driver said, "we drove up the state capital steps". I didn't believe them because usually there were uniformed guards in that area and those steps are pretty steep.. They assured me they had and had taken a photo to prove it. About two weeks later I received a letter from the driver and, sure enough, there was a photo of the girls and that jeep on the steps of the Florida State Capital.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic