Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hangin' with Chad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Hangin' with Chad

Sep 12, 2011, 2:17 PM

Hangin' with Chad

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris says that playing with toughness is a mentality, a mentality his offense doesn't have right now. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hangin' with Chad

Sep 12, 2011, 2:35 PM

If ever I have heard a coach 'tell it like it is', this was it.He is 100% right. I am not sure you can coach the kind of toughness that we need. Someone once said "Nice guys finish last" and they were pretty darn close to being right. Look for recruiting to change a little bit in the very near future. You might see some 2 star guys come in who are bad a$$ on the field. Those kind can be coached to play his kind of offense.

Sep 12, 2011, 5:42 PM

Amen!!! Nice to here someone tell it like it is!!!! Without sounding like it was rehearsed.
Has anyone interview Caldwell to see his take?
Keep it up Chad!

Sep 13, 2011, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Hangin' with Chad ]

If it is a recruiting issue and can not be taught, why is Morris surprised each week we are not physical? He needs to understand what he has to work with and make the best of it. To say you can't teach physical and then blast his players each week does not seem to be the best approach to me; however, it does put all the pressure on the players as everyone follows blindly. I think Morris will be a great coach but if you listen to his complete interview he seems to be saying it has to be learned at an early age and then seems surprised week to week that we don't have it yet. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The pumpers aren't going to like this Chad. They think....

Sep 12, 2011, 2:35 PM

we've been sandbagging. As a realist I have to totally agree. Our line play is very poor right now. It's encouraging that Boyd has been able to do what he's done even though he's running for his life every play. If we can just shore up the line play on both sides I think we'd see a lot more production out of the team. That's a funny thing to say though since we've been putting up some big numbers yardage wise thanks to the breakaway talent some of our players have. We need to start putting together some consistent drives though. We'll see how the Auburn game goes.

Re: The pumpers aren't going to like this Chad. They think....

Sep 12, 2011, 6:11 PM

Chad is a dumper

Now hold on there Chad that kind of talk will get you

Sep 12, 2011, 2:39 PM

Labeled a coot.

I like this guy, he seems to know what it takes to win and

Sep 12, 2011, 2:46 PM

calls it like he sees it. Now if he can just get the players to buy in to what he is preaching

Anybody can identify and diagnose problems. When you're

Sep 12, 2011, 2:48 PM

paid high 6-figures though, it's sorta your job to do something about it.

I Propose

Sep 12, 2011, 2:48 PM

We feed both lines a steady diet of Death Metal and Gangsta Rap until they're just angry at the world.

If they're overweight for their position, pick on them about it, if they do something wrong, ride them about it.

You have to do something to make them mean. Herschel Walker was a tough SOB because he was picked on for being fat and having a stutter when he was little.

Who cares if you hurt some feelings, just get the job done.

Disagree

Sep 12, 2011, 5:52 PM

If you want to become a Miami team that wins a ton of ball games, but has NO character, pump them full of rap music and death metal. Teaching physicality the proper way, the Marine Corps way, is to make them fight for a cause greater than themselves; one that every member of the team is fighting for. This, if we have the right boys on the team, could happen in the span of ONE practice. The key is finding that nerve in each player, to make them believe that they are the underdog in every fight. The Marine Corps teaches this by training each Marine to know that he is the ultimate weapon, but that he should NEVER feel invincible.

Re: I Propose

Sep 12, 2011, 7:44 PM [ in reply to I Propose ]

I say they need lots of booing to toughen them up a little.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do

Sep 12, 2011, 2:52 PM

too.

Lol.

Make em practice in womens clothing.

Tights or something.

Message was edited by: 007stealth®

Somebody needs to inform him that we are tough, and our

Sep 12, 2011, 2:52 PM

O-line actually played well. Somebody needs to tell him how Wofford just confused our O-line with a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Somebody needs to tell him that we didn't play soft, it's that Wofford is just that dang tough. Somebody needs to tell him that the reason we looked soft and appeared not to play well was because we are young and we are holding back and looking ahead. He obviously doesn't understand that; he really needs to spend some time on T-net getting up to speed. Somebody needs to explain to him that Wofford is extremely well coached. In the mean time,, poor feller's just gonna keep on thinking we got out-physicaled two weeks in a row, and thinking we lack toughness.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Somebody needs to inform him that we are tough, and our

Sep 12, 2011, 2:58 PM

I hope like #### that a lot of what you posted was sarcasm !!

You're scaring me . . .

Sep 12, 2011, 3:03 PM

and yes, it was. Entirely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You're scaring me . . .

Sep 12, 2011, 3:12 PM

I didn't mean to sound like an A$$ but you were scaring me !! Agin sorry if what I posted came out the wrong way !!

Naw - you're good. Sorry if I laid the sarcasm on a little

Sep 12, 2011, 3:20 PM

too thick! :)

- H. L. Mencken

Re: You're scaring me . . .

Sep 12, 2011, 6:55 PM [ in reply to You're scaring me . . . ]

Good, b/c I'm still hearing the thud....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Somebody needs to inform him that we are tough, and our

Sep 12, 2011, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Somebody needs to inform him that we are tough, and our ]

Now that sounded like a big pile of horse sheet hitting the ground,,, thud....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2011, 2:55 PM

We need waterboy syndrome... when they look at the D-Line, they should see

"Water sucks, it really really sucks!!!"

It's funny...if any of us had said...

Sep 12, 2011, 3:03 PM

...just ONE of the quotes from Morris, we'd be called a coot in here... but clearly he's 100% right. I was able to catch both gmaes on the Internet and was embarrassed by what I witnessed. I think someone on tigernet predicted another losing season with onyl 4 wins (might have been on aother site.) But back then I WAS thinking that guy was a dumbA&% ... not so sure now.

I predicted 4-8***

Sep 12, 2011, 3:22 PM

I'll be happy to take the over on that...***

Sep 12, 2011, 3:55 PM

I think the difference is....

Sep 12, 2011, 3:37 PM [ in reply to It's funny...if any of us had said... ]

it's hard to tell, sometimes, who is a coot or who's a Clemson fan on message boards. We get so many people on here that pretend to be Clemson fans.

Also, some people may believe what is the positive of coming on a message board to rant and rave. How does that actually fix the problem.

Now, coming from the coach, that's totally different b/c we know they are the ones responsible for and will be the ones with our players 15-20 hours a week on fixing the problems.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lame excuses. Lame double-standard.

Sep 12, 2011, 4:03 PM

People should be allowed to express reasonable opinions without being name-called, whether they're Clemson fans, SCar fans, Presbyterian fans, or coaches. Intelligent adults make intelligent counterpoints; they don't resort to juvenile name-calling like the pumpers here on T-Net.

Critique on a message board doesn't solve the team's problems any more than a critique from a coach to reporters (like Morris here).

If I had made the same comments that Morris made, I would have almost certainly been flamed and name-called. But the pumpers are dead silent Morris's comments. That's the mentality here.

I don't see pumpers doing nearly as much as

Sep 12, 2011, 6:01 PM

name calling and flaming as I see "dumpers". However, both sides are certainly guilty.

There are several problems with "flaming" other people on boards, the coaches or the team: creditability.

Some people express their opinions on message boards, are not Clemson fans. Those that are, may have never played or coached in their entire life. Some people just like to complain. There are also some that are simply not reasonable in their expression, but, full of emotion. After you filter out all those folks, there's very few people I find a credible on the subject of Clemson Football that post without falling into one of the above categories. Now, nobody can deny these categories exists here.

I agree with you on critique on a message board, 100%. However, what the coach says to a reporter is simply giving the fans what they want us (and their opponents) to know. And, for now, I'll trust their word over anyone else.

I don't know that I would consider myself a pumper or dumper, I mainly try to talk on message boards without the emotion, and look at things objectively. While I might lean more towards the pumper side, I whole heartily, 100% agree with what Coach Morris said. As a matter fact, I think it's refreshing to have have someone be that brutally honest about "their" job and this team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points. I trust Morris & Steele more than Dabo.***

Sep 12, 2011, 10:31 PM

Good hires on Morris and Steele, by Dabo. Let's hope...

Sep 13, 2011, 1:40 AM

they stay around.

I really think, in Steele's short career, he's one of the best DC's we've had. We're suffering a bit from youth right now and had 3 starters out of the last game, but I fully trust he'll get it fixed. Defense got better and better last year and saved our collective a$$es. We can't deny we lost a lot of talent last year. Defense has an uphill battle, but they'll get there.

Morris, we'll you gotta love a guy that comes in and really doesn't give a $hit about anything but performance. He really calls it as he sees it. He'll change the attitude of this team. It might not be this weekend, or next weekend. Heck, it might not be until next year (I hope not)....but we're going to see a smash mouth offense with swagger that puts up loads of points. A team that plays hard as hell, like nothing you're ever saw. A bunch of mean sum of a b!tche$ that will have teams like Va Tech quaking in their cleats. I really believe he can take our offense somewhere special. We're seeing flashes of it and we've played, well, not good. Once this thing gets clicking......watch out!

That is so true. Intolerant pumpers dominate here.***

Sep 12, 2011, 3:49 PM [ in reply to It's funny...if any of us had said... ]

I'll be happy to take the over on that...

Sep 12, 2011, 3:54 PM [ in reply to It's funny...if any of us had said... ]

I'm not saying the ship has been righted but we will win more than 4 games.

I'm wondering how the OL self esteem is holding up?***

Sep 12, 2011, 3:05 PM

I don't care !!*****

Sep 12, 2011, 3:13 PM

Break them down to build them back up

Sep 12, 2011, 5:59 PM [ in reply to I'm wondering how the OL self esteem is holding up?*** ]

Think that is the whole point

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I think Gene Hackman said that in Hoosiers...

Sep 12, 2011, 6:02 PM

did you just steal that line from Hoosiers??? ;)

Re: Break them down to build them back up

Sep 12, 2011, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Break them down to build them back up ]

Agree!!! And the ones that really do care about winning will ask the coach to help make them a better player....

Reminds me of another quote...

Sep 12, 2011, 3:15 PM

"I want to coach a team that opponents don't look forward to playing."
-Danny Ford

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good article

Sep 12, 2011, 3:23 PM

Liked what he said, but only time will tell if this problem will get resolved. Sad when you can't run the whole offense because your offense isn't "tough" enough to handle it.

"We're gonna have to hit more. We're gonna have to hit,

Sep 12, 2011, 3:25 PM

something..." Good stuff.

22:10 - 22:30.

Like I said Chad is gonna get these boys physical

Sep 12, 2011, 4:13 PM

starting this week. He is gonna put the guys who will punch someone in the mouth on the field. Clemson is 8-4 at worst this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said Chad is gonna get these boys physical

Sep 12, 2011, 4:15 PM

I sure wonder who the new O/L will be???????????????and who the new D/L will be??????????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are going to wish he was our head coach one day

Sep 12, 2011, 4:20 PM

when he leaves. He already sounds more like one than Dabo.

That's a prediction.

Re: We are going to wish he was our head coach one day

Sep 12, 2011, 4:24 PM

Amen to that!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2011, 4:46 PM

Frank Howard has turned over in his grave twice in the last two weeks with the way we have played. Maybe the boys need to taste some blood on game day. Which one of them was quoted as everybody has a plan until the get hit in the mouth? Well I think we know who has been getting hit in the mouth and it ain't Troy or Wofford.

Sep 13, 2011, 4:22 PM

Rennie Moore said that. And he played good last week.

I Like Listening To This Guy

Sep 12, 2011, 7:34 PM

He doesn't make me cringe by saying hokey, cheerleaderish stuff. He sounds like a football coach should sound. And sounds to me like he's going to be one who plays favorites, he's gonna go with the guys who's showing him they have that fire in the belly that he's after. Quite differnet from what we've been used to around here.

Re: I Like Listening To This Guy

Sep 12, 2011, 4:49 PM

NOT play favorites, that should say....

OK, now I'm ready to go out and hang myself.

Sep 12, 2011, 4:50 PM

Unless he was totally poor-mouthing, we suck. I hope he was just poor-mouthing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

OL starters, Price, Smith, Cloy, McClain & Walker graduate.

Sep 12, 2011, 5:32 PM

We'll see how things pan out, but if our senior/grad-student offensive linemen are performing like this, then I hate to think about the OL for the 2012 season, when we're breaking in a new OL.

Sep 12, 2011, 5:45 PM

Why does the offensive coach have to tell us the team is not playing w/ toughness. Shouldn't Dabo be talking about this. I mean it's not like it's just the offense.

Chad gets an A for candor. I prefer knowing how bad we are

Sep 12, 2011, 7:22 PM

rather than hearing a bunch of excuses. Once you admit you have problems, you can begin to fix em.

Sep 12, 2011, 7:37 PM

To think we were all worring about how Tajh was going to hold up this season. Well, we were putting our worries in the wrong place....

Sep 12, 2011, 10:23 PM

I think Chad has understands the problem and I agree with him 100%. I mentioned earlier in reference to some of the current coaching staff degrading comments, that you can coach players to be tough and play hard but the fact is if they don't have it mentally in their head to do it they want. You can't make players hit. If they don't wanna play, they won't. And to me at times, it's as if the lines on both sides are like, oh, it's game time now, we actually have to play. I thought we only had to run down the hill and look cool. People are exhausted with the interviews about the hill tradition. Give it some meaning again players. Those guys are to blame right now, not the coaches. I hope they read our posts because they really need to wake up. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Sep 12, 2011, 10:24 PM

pardon the typo's......I just woke up..........:)

too late to get physical-hay is in the barn!***

Sep 12, 2011, 11:03 PM

Re: too late to get physical-hay is in the barn!***

Sep 13, 2011, 9:31 AM

Bull! They better get physical because this guy sounds like he will bench them in a second if there is someone on the bench with more spirit in their gut. I like what I'm reading from Chad. I hope the kids get it, and get it quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic