Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Steve Fuller: Transition from "4 to 4" cemented by a phone call
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

New Story: Steve Fuller: Transition from "4 to 4" cemented by a phone call

Oct 2, 2014, 9:01 AM

Steve Fuller: Transition from "4 to 4" cemented by a phone call

Former Clemson quarterback Steve Fuller's number was retired in 1979, but the number is back and being worn by freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson. What does Fuller say about Watson, and why he gave his blessing? What does he think of Watson as a quarterback? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From classy to classy.

Oct 2, 2014, 9:07 AM

What more or less would we expect of either?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Oct 2, 2014, 5:21 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why we are great.

Oct 2, 2014, 9:12 AM

Clemson athletics is more than just wins and losses.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Love the patch and I'm so glad we've got talent that doesn't

Oct 2, 2014, 9:48 AM

act lie J Winston.

Re: Love the patch and I'm so glad we've got talent that doesn't

Oct 2, 2014, 2:15 PM

pretty cool idea, but I can't help but wonder if Watson would have been a J Winston? Then you have gone from honoring a player to tarnishing their number.

perfect example as to why Clemson is Clemson

Oct 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

And the Chickens are what they are, and FSU is what it is, etc.....pure class. When the Tigers win big, you can rest assured it will be done the right way with the type of kids and HC that will make you proud. Steve Fuller, talk about tough, competive, and classy. Those of us who saw him play know why he sees what he sees in DW. He was the exact same way, makeupwise, and what a class move by Dabo to bring the past greats into the program and let them know they matter. I would not want any other HC in America.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is awesome

Oct 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

I really like the idea of retiring a jersey for around 20 years, and then bringing it out of retirement for a special player. It serves as an honor for the current player to wear it, and a great recognition of the former player who earned the right to have his jersey retired.

My high school had several jersey numbers retired in multiple sports, but no one ever knew who those players were or why their jerseys were retired, just that they couldn't wear those numbers.

What I like most is the generational connection ...

Oct 2, 2014, 10:31 AM

Us Silverbacks remember players like Steve Fuller. But often the names and numbers become hallowed, hollowed memories ... simply names and numbers in the media guide and on the stadium wall.

When DW called Fuller, it completes the contact from one generation of Clemson men to the next. It isn't putting on the mantel of a ghost, but assuming the dignity and standing of a living legend. when you put on the number, it isn't to replace the man that wore it, but to further its importance.

Ensuring, as it were, that the Tiger's roar may echo ...

Well done, Sons of Clemson!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

spot on Rev....

Oct 2, 2014, 10:37 AM

For me, 4, 99, 45, 66, 91, 43, 41, 20 are a few that should have patches on them because Fuller, Jeff Bryant, The Judge,
Fridge, Michael Dean, Terry Kinard, Anthony Simmons, and Dawk are all time greats that no matter how old and gray I get, I will always think of them when I see those numbers on a kids back today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: spot on Rev....

Oct 3, 2014, 5:04 PM

I know putting a kicker on that list might draw some frowns but I'd put #18 David Treadwell. I saw him win 2x at the last second against UGA!

Folks who know Clemson history would agree...

Oct 3, 2014, 5:59 PM

Our most stellar seasons have been so in large part because of solid kicking.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I like most is the generational connection ...

Oct 2, 2014, 5:50 PM [ in reply to What I like most is the generational connection ... ]

That reminds of part of "Something in These Hills."

"We have all drawn from these hills something to suggest to youth that those over thirty can be trusted and to indicate to those over thirty that the qualities of youth are as sound today as they ever were."

I LOVE Clemson Footbal

Oct 2, 2014, 10:41 AM

SO Classy...Watson will do great things at Clemson. Steve was gracious to allow the use of his #4 again. That is what Clemson Tiger football is ALL about. GO TIGERS....BEAT NC STATE!!!!!!!!!

This is great and all but . . .

Oct 2, 2014, 10:43 AM

if Watson has the type of career that deserves his own number to be retired, it would be nice if it was a distinct number.

WHEN Watson has that type of career, they will re-retire

Oct 2, 2014, 10:52 AM

#4 and probably never bring it back.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: WHEN Watson has that type of career, they will re-retire

Oct 2, 2014, 10:58 AM

That's a good possibility Suzi, or they could really use it for the next Steve or Deshaun that wears number 4 10, 20 years down the road and say, "Hey, two legends have worn this number, do you want to be the next?' I know we're all getting ahead of ourselves already crowning DW a legend, but we all see the potential and how exciting it is! Go Tigers, beat State!

Perhaps it becomes a "Legends number" ...

Oct 4, 2014, 7:21 AM [ in reply to This is great and all but . . . ]

Once a generation, we get a talent worthy of No. 4 (or No. 28 or 99 or whatever). If that person wants to wear the number of legend they will understand the mantel they assume with it.

I like the concept.

Re: New Story: Steve Fuller: Transition from "4 to 4" cemented by a phone call

Oct 2, 2014, 11:03 AM

What class, from both parties! Seems as though a certain FSU quarterback could take some lessons from these guys! Proud to be a Tiger!

I think it's going to be "from NC QB to NC QB"***

Oct 2, 2014, 11:21 AM

Fuller did not get a NC. That was Homer J

Oct 2, 2014, 11:47 AM

If that is what NC meant...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Yep, epic fail by me.***

Oct 2, 2014, 2:18 PM

Re: Fuller did not get a NC. That was Homer J

Oct 2, 2014, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Fuller did not get a NC. That was Homer J ]

Yea cause neither are from North Carolina

Nice article!***

Oct 2, 2014, 1:55 PM

This Post isn't going to go over well, but...

Oct 2, 2014, 4:20 PM

why is Fuller's number retired anyway?

Was he a great QB?
Did he set major records here?
Did he win a National title?
Did he win more games than anyone?

I know the answer to the questions, and I still can't see
why they did it to start with.

I know, Someone is going say..
well, he help to get it all started here..yea, and so
did a lot of others.
Fuller, good Clemson QB...sure...great, no.
And he might even be one of the top 5 QBs ever here.
But this university has never been know, history wise.
For great QBs.....so why the retired number?

We are what we are today VERY LARGELY due to THE #4!

Oct 2, 2014, 5:29 PM

Having seen most every game Steve Fuller played at Clemson (home and away), he was the best.....period! All the attributes need to include intelligence.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just saying...

Oct 3, 2014, 4:57 PM

IMHO...
there has only been a small handful of people who really deserve to have their numbers retired.

Just not sure its #4.

Oh yes, great!

Oct 2, 2014, 9:22 PM [ in reply to This Post isn't going to go over well, but... ]

They ran the triple option in those days. Steve was the very definition of the ideal option QB. Some size, fast, intelligent but also could step back in the pocket and deliver WHEN HE HAD TO.

You'll see no passing records by Steve. This was very much still in the 3 yrds and a cloud of dust era. You won ball games by running the ball in all manner of ways.

However, and I've mentioned this before on Tnet, Steve Fuller along with Dwight Clark and Jerry Butler, Red Parker recruits transformed the middling Clemson program into a national power by the 77 and 78 seasons. Highly visible wins over Georgia and almost beating Notre Dame at the Valley in '77 started the ball rolling, then the 11-1 '78 season beating the legendary Woody Hayes in the Gator Bowl put the program on the map for good. All this set up the NC in '81 even though Steve was long gone, his high profile work had transformed the program forever.

In many way, the Clemson football program is today what it is because of those guys back then. Sure, times have changed, offenses are completely different. Rodney Williams in the 80's came close to running the option as well as Steve and the winning record proved he was effective.

Amazingly Homer Jordan the NC winning QB, while effective ENOUGH, wasn't the QB Fuller or Williams was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This Post isn't going to go over well, but...

Oct 3, 2014, 9:47 AM [ in reply to This Post isn't going to go over well, but... ]

I agree. He was good but he was not even a Woody Dantzler. Woody was the most exciting QB evr IMO.

Re: This Post isn't going to go over well, but...

Oct 3, 2014, 5:13 PM [ in reply to This Post isn't going to go over well, but... ]

IMO,it's because he was the foundation of what we know today. We couldn't fathom back then a National Championship . We were ecstatic to win any bowl game, and an ACC championship! He and others laid the foundation that has brought us a NC and many years of enjoyment. For those reasons I think he deserves to be on the ROH and his jersey number retired. And another thing, Jim Phillips should be on the ROH, too. I know he may not have a degree but make an exception in his case. No one has more to the many Clemson fans than Jim! God Bless him!

A friend of mine that i go to clemson games with

Oct 2, 2014, 5:09 PM

Made a comment that perhaps that the number 4 could be retired twice

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see something like this instead of retiring jerseys

Oct 2, 2014, 6:44 PM

Have 4 be an exceptional QB number 2 for WR, 28 for RB, ect. but only bring them out every once and a while, and the players would have to earn them after a few years on and off the field.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: I would like to see something like this instead of retiring jerseys

Oct 3, 2014, 5:16 PM

Oh, in time brother...Sammy and C .J. Are going to be there. Maybe even tajh?

Steve Fuller and I are the same age

Oct 2, 2014, 8:52 PM

He also ran the 440 yd dash in those days for the Spartanburg High track team. I ran the same event for Westside in Anderson. I did alright for myself in the event and found myself in the Upper State semi-finals at Dorman in the late Spring of '75.

I found myself in the same heat with Steve, me in the 4th lane, Steve in the 5th. This was of course well before his real fame but he was notorious then as a great QB.

I had past him earlier in the race but coming around the last bend I was hearing track cleats close behind. By the time we hit the straight away Steve was even with me and proceeded to pull away to the finish line about a second or so in front of me. I remember how he paced himself and had just a nice kick and endurance to the end. He won that heat, I placed 3rd or 4th, somewhere in middle of the pack.

As his college and NFL fame grew over the years, my experience at the '75 upper state track meet became a much cooler story to tell!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a great story and article! Make the jersey a tear-away

Oct 2, 2014, 10:58 PM

and we'll never punt again!

I may be in the minority, but I don't like the precedent

Oct 4, 2014, 6:07 AM

Steve Fuller was put in an awkward situation by Dabo even asking the question. What is he going to say, "no?" And the only reason Dabo was asking was because a top recruit wanted the number. It is a bad precedent. It's not "honoring" to the retired player, it's simply closing the deal on signing a recruit. After the fact, and because Deshaun turned out to be such a great player and person, they can write a story like this. It is my opinion that Deshaun should have been told to pick another number and build his own legacy, one that wouldn't have to be shared. In the end, I just believe a retired number should be retired. And if the goal was really to "honor" Steve Fuller, then wait until Deshaun's last year, after he has fully established himself, and then wear the #4. But since, in my opinion, that wasn't really the goal, I think it was a mistake and a bad precedent. Unretiring a number shouldn't be a recruiting tool.

Re: I may be in the minority, but I don't like the precedent

Nov 24, 2014, 3:07 PM

I agree. Steve Fuller was my hero.
Its just disrespectful to take a jersey out of retirement.
If a number keeps you from coming to Clemson then so be it.
I love the Kid and of course I want him to do well but
Watson could have been 04,14,or 44.
44 would have been cool...but he might be too skinny for 2 digits?

Re: I may be in the minority, but I don't like the precedent

Nov 24, 2014, 3:10 PM

It's strange that someone would comment on something almost 2 months old? I just don't see why the man who wore the number and had it retired shouldn't be able to allow someone else to wear it.

So what happens if DW gets in the ring of fame?***

Oct 4, 2014, 7:18 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: So what happens if DW gets in the ring of fame?***

Oct 4, 2014, 9:37 AM

Please guys....let's not put that burden on the kids shoulders quite yet. He's great, I just fear this huge pedestal we are placing him on. We don't want to set him up a fall.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic