Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In this installment of "Aero values your opinion" we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

In this installment of "Aero values your opinion" we

Oct 15, 2019, 12:58 PM

discuss holly bushes. I have 6 or 7 and have grown to hate them. While they will be removed eventually, that isn't in the cards right now.

They are currently so large and out of control that cutting them to the size I want makes them bare. Say I go ahead and shape them how I want, will they recover?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...

Oct 15, 2019, 1:01 PM

You can take them back to the trunk for the most part... as long as the root system is good, it will be fine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you like in holly for some reason?***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I... I dont really know how to answer this.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:36 PM

The only way... I think I know its a question is because it ended with a question mark.

cut down 4 holly trees yesterday evening. was very satisfyin***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:04 PM

Cut em to the bone.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:07 PM

Then soak them in gasoline. Then light them on fire. The extra nitrogen from the fire enriches the soil.

Well, I've only dated 1 Holly and she didn't have much of a

Oct 15, 2019, 1:08 PM

bush to speak of. But now that you mention it, a curly little bush on that sweet little muffbird would have been pretty seggsy.

Excuse me while I go to the restroom.

This is why you need a truck. Wrap a chain around them and

Oct 15, 2019, 1:10 PM

rip em up. Going to do the same so some at my house soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or he could use his car

Oct 15, 2019, 1:11 PM

Just wrap the chain around the driveshaft for extra pulling power.

Man, I need a suit of armor just to get to the trunk.

Oct 15, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to This is why you need a truck. Wrap a chain around them and ]

Almost no ground clearance.

You bought a chainsaw didn't you?

Oct 15, 2019, 1:24 PM

Go rent a skid steer or mini-ex just for the fun of it and destroy those holly bushes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does it not tear up your grass when you pull it up

Oct 15, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to This is why you need a truck. Wrap a chain around them and ]

From the tires, not the bush

I'm sure it would if I had any half way decent grass

Oct 15, 2019, 1:23 PM

This drought has actually worked to my advantage and pretty much killed off all the weeds and shid grass that I don't want. I've been known to dig holes in my yard to just fill them back in, anyway.

The one time I did this, I pulled from the driveway

Oct 15, 2019, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Does it not tear up your grass when you pull it up ]

but you're right. Aero prob doesn't have a paved drive.

I do have a paved driveway, but there are no holly bushes

Oct 15, 2019, 1:38 PM

around it. Maybe I'll take a truck one one the pampas grass areas.

popped a 10,000 pound rated towing rope doing that

Oct 15, 2019, 2:00 PM [ in reply to This is why you need a truck. Wrap a chain around them and ]

a couple years ago. That was fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holly

Oct 15, 2019, 1:36 PM

Sonders

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: In this installment of "Aero values your opinion" we

Oct 15, 2019, 1:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

invite the shamecock foosball team over?***

Oct 15, 2019, 1:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

yes. it' actually hard to kill a holly bush.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:11 PM

you could cut it off to a stump at ground level, and it would send out new growth. I had to do this to one of ours that got some weird fungus on it, but now a couple years later, it's back to about half as big as it was, and is perfectly healthy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Want some new ones?***

Oct 15, 2019, 3:26 PM

You can cut them all the way down in the winter.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:30 PM

They recover fine in the spring then easy to trim. But I grew to hate them so cut half mine down this past fall and put stump killing herbicide on all of them. Those have not come back this year and hopefully by winter I’ll be able to dig or chop them out to plant something else

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good to start on the trimming the hell out of them now?

Oct 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

Or do I need to wait until colder weather for some reason other than comfort?

Oh yes, they will recover FINE.

Oct 15, 2019, 3:37 PM

You can't kill the ###### things. When you do remove them make sure you have something to dig up the stumps. Like TOTALLY dig them up, or grind them to oblivion. They will regrow from a stump.

I've tried roundup, rock salt, you name it. If you cover the stump with tar, it will just grow out from the side. Things are pure hell to get rid of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic