Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Have a Serious Question…
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,228

I Have a Serious Question…

Nov 1, 2016, 6:22 PM

After watching all of Clemson’s football games this year on television (went to several games and re-watched), and watching several other teams in other conferences play, I have come up with several conclusions.

We can all agree that are refs making a lot of bad decisions, missing tons of calls, and making poor calls in general.

Is there a new “bad play calling” plague amongst officiating crews in every conference or are the refs becoming victims of modern technology or are we seeing more missed calls because of the number of additional cameras and camera angles than we saw, say 3 years ago?

As television viewers, we are seeing more plays with the highly advanced cameras/angles; more than can be humanly seen by the limited crew during live play. Can what appears to be poor/missed calls really be blamed on the officiating crews?

With today’s modern technology, we at home can pause, rewind, replay, and freeze every single play that the multiple cameras pick up.

Seems like we may need to streamline how officiating is being handled; perhaps there should be an on-field crew and a television crew, both of which can throw flags.

I can see it now - the TV crew can throw a virtual flag that has to be reviewed by the on-field crew…

Serious question: With all of the cameras (overhead shots, side shots, total field coverage) and even pylon cameras, do we need to re-evaluate how the officiating crews handle what they don’t see? Do we need more members on the crew?

I do realize that the extra cameras do help on the instant replay decisions, but would like some input.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

Re: I Have a Serious Question…

Nov 1, 2016, 6:32 PM

Interesting question. I remember just 10 years ago we did not have the overhead camera on wires. You are right - we can see all of the missed calls. There is no way that the refs can see what we see with all of those added cameras.

Heck, during the Danny Ford era - we only got 3 TV channels (we were lucky to get WLOS - had to use a coat hanger and tinfoil) and the games were filmed like high school games - 2 maybe 3 camera angles.

Good points - don't know the answer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Why tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death?" - Little Mac 62

I like the concept of the virtual flag...

Nov 1, 2016, 6:38 PM

They should do this for things like face mask penalties... a face mask is a face mask, it's not a judgment call. I rewatched the FSU game yesterday and counted 2 against Watson and 1 against Renfroe, none of which were called.

Nov 1, 2016, 6:45 PM

Take all the camera's away that they use for video evidence, fire half the refs, and let the guys go back to playing the game. If a call is missed, Oh well!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2016, 6:48 PM

Good points. As these plays are reviewed over and over from every angle and in slo mo, I find myself wondering how the officials get as many right in real time as they do. I think I find more that they get right than wrong most games, although the Fla St game might be the exception. In a game like Fla St, it is clear to me that there is no "conspiracy" - they miss some on both teams. I think pass interference and holding could be called 90% of the time if all players are watched with the same scrutiny as the ones around the ball. I do find it pretty poor when an obvious face mask violation is not called on a quarterback. Someone is supposed to be watching him every play. It also seems that a missed call in the last few minutes gets far more attention than the same call in Q1, even though they can the same effect on the outcome. Jimbo doesn't seem to understand that as he also ignores the calls that went against Clemson and the missed holding call on the now famous crack back or block in the back or clipping call. I see Dabo get onto the officials at times but I don't see him make a fool of himself like Jimbo.

Nov 1, 2016, 7:26 PM

Well said. I agree - there is no "conspiracy" (listen up Louisville and FSU); I say let the refs do their jobs to the best of their ability; other wise the games will last 6 hours, with every play being reviewed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, if they got everything right a game would last...

Nov 1, 2016, 6:49 PM

the entire season and end in a zero to zero 275th overtime tie. Those guys are human. By definition they are flawed, incapable of perfection and often prone to fail.

They are commissioned to make split second decisions while watching 22 athletes often moving at top speeds and 80 to 100 thousand voices in their ears. As long as Clemson is winning I'm happy. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, if they got everything right a game would last...

Nov 1, 2016, 7:24 PM

I agree - games don't need to last 4 hours; it is getting ridiculous. Let these young men play ball for crying out loud!

Re: No, if they got everything right a game would last...

Nov 1, 2016, 7:31 PM [ in reply to No, if they got everything right a game would last... ]

You nailed it; if we are not careful and all of the complaining and whining keeps on, they will review every play and games will last for 6 hours.

I say let the refs call it like they see it, and while they are at it, cut down on commercial time so they can play ball and stay warmed up.

Wasn't this posted earlier?

Nov 1, 2016, 7:05 PM

In its entirety?

Re: Wasn't this posted earlier?

Nov 1, 2016, 7:23 PM

Yes, but I added a few more thoughts and changed the title, as my previous post did not get any responses

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,228
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic