Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Humor me here, folks.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Humor me here, folks.

Sep 16, 2014, 10:48 AM

To put it simply, it appears to be the opinion of many Tiger fans that Watson is superior to Cole in every conceivable quarterback attribute.

First, let me say that I think Watson is wildly talented, and it would not surprise me at all if he was starting by the end of the year. His potential is off the charts. Heck, I hope he comes in and shreds FSU's secondary Saturday night.

However, it appears to me (and correct me if I am wrong) that these folks claiming that Watson is superior without question are basing this off one drive against Georgia as well as several series against a team that we could have beaten 150-0.

In addition, unless I am incorrect, none of us attend practice everyday. We don't sit in any of the meetings. Heck, most of us have a working knowledge of football that would pale in comparison to any coach on the Clemson staff.

So, with all of that said, my opinion is that it's absurd to suggest Watson is without question far superior to Cole at this point in the season and with the batch of evidence we actually have to consider.

I am very curious to know if anyone can provide a valid argument to the contrary. So far I have seen things like "oh because Watson passes the eye test." Hopefully somebody has something better than that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

You have nailed the issue...

Sep 16, 2014, 10:50 AM

everything is based on DW's one first half drive vs. UGA, and his performance against SCST.

I agree, and I hope he tears FSU a new one Saturday.

But... as I have asked this question before as well... no one can provide a valid argument as to why CS shouldn't be starting.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

May be Germans...

Sep 16, 2014, 10:57 AM

I haven't seen anybody say this, but I'm sure the plays Watson has run in both games are the one the he has practiced over and over the most during the week. That's why it is called a package, not the whole offense. I've never been more than a high school assistant coach in football, but I'm betting our guys do something like this.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

of course, you being an ex coach know the age old saying

Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 AM

of run it til you get it right. I believe that most if not all coaches at that level are perfectionists that want every play run to perfection.

Re: May be Germans...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to May be Germans... ]

Dabo has stated already that when DW is in the game the playbook is not limited and that he, and I quote, "is not a package guy".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't buy that nonsense crowd either...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:47 AM

I think DW has a good understanding of the system, and can run anything

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I don't buy that nonsense crowd either...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 AM

I agree

Re: You have nailed the issue...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:01 AM [ in reply to You have nailed the issue... ]

I am going to make an assumption that this site is mostly viewed adult males, so here I go. I once had a female friend that I had a particularly good history with. While she would never be my wife, I knew who she was and what to expect out of her. One day, a lady came into my life that would one day be my wife. I knew it and my friends knew it. The problems was that this was all based on assumption and I knew exactly what I had with my friend. Although parting was difficult, I ended up with the new lady and she has been my wife for nearly 20 years. I still wonder if my old friend shouldn't have started just a few more games. Morl of the story: Change is hard. I hope that helps.

Re: You have nailed the issue...***

Sep 16, 2014, 11:13 AM

Re: You have nailed the issue...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to You have nailed the issue... ]

Why should Stoudt be the QB? What are you basing it off of? A team he played against last year that we could have beaten 150-0? Same team again this year that we could have beat 150-0 and the GA game in which I thought he was average and arm looked weak? Anyone with eyesight can see who the more talented player is. Talked to a FSU buddy of mine this morn and what did he say? "Only thing I'm worried about is if y'all play the Watson kid". So, tryin to have a good, honest conversation here..what is it with Stoudt? Please don't come back with the he's a senior, play book crap. You play your best players..period.

I'm basing it on the coaches saying Stoudt is the better

Sep 16, 2014, 11:09 AM

QB. I'm basing it on the coaches watching more than just a few drives in games, I'm basing it on what the coaches saw in practices all summer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You are absolutely right... so I would ask you 2 things...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: You have nailed the issue... ]

1. Post the article/post/interview, etc.. where it's ever been said CS was playing b/c he's a senior.

2. Explain to me how you are coming to you point of view other than opinion.

I'm basically giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt

Sep 16, 2014, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: You have nailed the issue... ]

that they know what the #### they are talking about. I figure that's reasonable since they are the coaches that have guided us to one of the best runs in program history over the past several seasons. Also, I see that you have provided literally no credible evidence that Watson is superior to Cole. Thanks for playing.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: I'm basically giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt

Sep 16, 2014, 11:34 AM

And you have not shown me where Stoudt is superior to Watson. What you are going by is what the coaches are seeing in practice and since I am not there I cannot dispute so I guess we will just agree to disagree and we will see what happens... At the end of the day we all want Clemson to succeed and come out with a victory

where have you shown Watson is superior to Stoudt?

Sep 16, 2014, 11:37 AM

be careful here

Well...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm basically giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt ]

"What you are going by is what the coaches are seeing in practice and since I am not there I cannot dispute"

Yeah, that's pretty much 100% my point. Thanks.

First off, I must use a disclaimer that

Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM

"humor" as you have called it here, will not be tolerated on Tiger Board(s).

Second, I agree 100%. He threw a couple very good passes against Georgia, but so did Cole. The lack of production in the 2nd half, in my opinion, falls on the playcalling as opposed to the execution. I'm not ready to say Cole should be benched. Although I would like to see a very good outing from him this week...otherwise it needs to be considered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

well said***

Sep 16, 2014, 11:03 AM

Re: Humor me here, folks.

Sep 16, 2014, 11:01 AM

Thank Jebus someone gets it.

I haven't heard any of the coaching staff claim Stout is a better athlete or has more potential. There is much more to the position including reading a defense and Georgia and Florida State both have pretty difficult defenses to read. That hybrid 3-4 that Pruitt and Kelly run is designed to confuse offenses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree but to play devil's advocate...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:04 AM

you missed the most important factors of why we need DW under center in this game.

1. FSU struggles with run defense.

2.Cole is not a running QB, he tries but really he isn't a real threat.

3. DW is quicker than a prom king at motel 6 and would reek havoc on FSU's D

I think the coaches are doing this right but if we furnish ### to FSU this weekend and DW doesn't get what's coming to him in playing time I'm jumping the effin fence and gonna join the dark side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If our O-Line doesn't come to play it don't matter who the

Sep 16, 2014, 11:54 AM

he77 we have at QB. That's just my opinion. And our front 4 must disrupt Winston early and often.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

They'll be there...

Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM

if they get somebody to #### for them this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2014, 11:25 AM

Spiller; Good post and I agree with your analysis but my problem lies with the OC and our play calling. Please bear with me. Last year at the Coots it was clear that we had worn down the Coots in the mid to late 3rd quarter and were getting 5 yds at a clip running the ball So what does he do: throw the ball 5 out of 6 plays in the next 2 possessions--game over. This year, against the Dawgs we never threw the ball over the middle. Not once. With a 6'5" QB seems to me we can throw to the TE on a quick slant and let him do the rest. Why does pour OC not see this? Sure against weaker opponents our O looks great but against the better teams, we frequently struggle and I believe it is because the OC is too stubborn to modify the plan on the fly. Until that changes and he opens up this high powered O, we will continue to struggle IMO.

Our tight end aren't all that.

Sep 16, 2014, 12:00 PM

Some block and others can catch. This leave the defense knowing whether they are in there to block or receive. That ain't fun when the other team knows why you are playing a TE.

Sep 16, 2014, 12:10 PM

Regarding your talk about practice and meetings. One James Brown, arguably the best running back of all time, did not start at RB in his sophomore season As a matter of fact, he didn't start until the 5th game of the year. Why? According to his coach he didn't practice well and wasn't as attentive as he should have been at team meetings. So he was put in the game and never again did not start.
I understand your point about practice and coaches with all the knowledge but you really need to concede that coaches can and do make mistakes and plenty of them. I'm not saying that Cole should not start because I agree he should. However, unless Morris starts calling more plays from our playbook, I'm afraid he might just be one of the main problems. I've given him the benefit of the doubt given his lack of experience but it is high time he starts producing in big games by opening up the ### offense.

No, not at all. Watson is much more mobile, which is a huge

Sep 16, 2014, 12:12 PM

attribute when your OL can't protect.

That is why I think we need Watson to play more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, not at all. Watson is much more mobile, which is a huge

Sep 16, 2014, 12:22 PM

I agree. Don't start him but if the rush is overly aggressive and we can't call plays to counteract it, maybe his feet can do some good!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic