Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV

Sep 14, 2018, 11:39 AM

Here's the never seen on TV video of the touchback play made by the aTm athletic department and captured by an aTm fan on his cell phone from big screen. NOTE: shows very cool cannon smoke ring near beginning....at time 1:30 is when the actual play starts.

https://youtu.be/-z68-hwvVAs?t=90

Here's the still shot from the video showing the precise moment the ball floats above the pylon. Football is in blue circle and red line shows the relative postion of the ball above the pylon.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV

Sep 14, 2018, 11:40 AM

If the ball goes directly over the pylon, it, like the pylon itself, is out of bounds. A player who touches the ball on the inside the pylon (typically on a diving play running towards the front corner of the end zone) is considered to have broken the vertical plane established by the goal line. The ball hits that plane (the edge of the end zone line that is closest to the field of play) before it hits the pylon itself, therefore, it is a touchdown.

This video, if the angles and math work is true and the ball actually did go directly over the pylon, proves the call on the field was wrong.

Regardless, they didn't have video evidence to 100% prove the call on the field wrong...so I will take it. Just wanted to clarify those rule interpretations.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unbelievable that you do not know the rules.

Sep 14, 2018, 11:42 AM

Sad. Here's a little help from the rule book:

"The plane of the goal line extends between and includes the pylons"

Every part of the pylon (including the outside part) is considered "in the end zone." Touch the pylon anywhere with the football and it's a TD.

Re: Unbelievable that you do not know the rules.

Sep 14, 2018, 12:37 PM

"Goal Lines and Pylons
ARTICLE 2. The goal line at each end of the field of play runs between the sidelines and is part of the vertical plane that separates the end zone from the field of play. The two goal lines are 100 yards apart. The plane of the goal line extends between and includes the pylons, which are out of bounds. The entire
goal line is in the end zone. A team’s goal line is that which it is defending."

A loose ball in flight is judged completely different from a ball in possession of a runner. We have to know if any part of the ball crossed any part of the sideline (even the one inch line) before it went over the pylon.

The football does not need to be...

Sep 14, 2018, 12:45 PM

...completely on the inside of the left side (in this case) of the pylon.

It's is not simply a loose ball....it's a forced fumble by the defender. A ball can be loose for multiple reasons.

It was a fumble

Sep 14, 2018, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

Therefore you've proven the call is correct.

Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV***

Sep 14, 2018, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Sep 14, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores
a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game
official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.
b. A ball that touches a pylon is out of bounds behind the goal line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"This thing that I call living is just being satisfied knowing that I've got no one left to blame." Gordon Lightfoot

Sep 14, 2018, 12:02 PM

This video does not show the ball directly over the pylon therefore it proves nothing. The position of the ball as it breaks the plane of the goal line is the only thing that matters . There is a pylon at each corner of the rear end zone and they are out of play

Huh, you didn't know the rule regarding the pylon...

Sep 14, 2018, 12:12 PM

...was changed years ago? Go look it up...I think it was 2011.

Sep 14, 2018, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/NCAA-Rule-Changes-Part-3-104823076/

Goal Line Plane Extension changed.

Now the Goal line plane runs between the pylons, and includes the entire pylon. The plane no longer exists beyond the pylons except in two specific cases: (a) When a ball carrier touches the pylon, and (b) when the ball carrier touches the ground in the end zone.

https://rulebook.github.io/en/interpretations/rules/8/

I. Team A’s fumble strikes the pylon at the intersection of Team B’s goal line and sideline. RULING: Touchback. Team B’s ball at the 20-yard line (Rules 7-2-4-c and 4-2-3-b). They will consider going over the pylon the same as striking the pylon. Only its height in the air affects it not striking it.

^^^^^ CORRECT ANSWER ^^^^^^***

Sep 14, 2018, 2:31 PM

Hey Crump! ?? Post this on the homepage ??***

Sep 14, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Sep 14, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

lol wronggggggg

I don't think you are right.

Sep 14, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

"If the ball goes directly over the pylon, it, like the pylon itself, is out of bounds"

This much is true. But your logic misses a very important part.

The pylon is considered beyond the goal line as well as out of bounds, so yes, the ball crossed the plane but it is considered to have done so only AFTER it crossed the goal line, as such it went out of the endzone by rule.

It can be argued whether (though I think it looks like it clearly did) the ball went over the pylon, but if it did then the call is 100% correct.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it really wasn’t

Sep 14, 2018, 12:12 PM

A game winning play for the aggies so .... who cares?

Sep 14, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

Wow, you really don't know much about football, do you?

So much wrong with urinalysis

Sep 14, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

But if the ball, coming at an angle from in bounds, crossed above the pylon, then it’s more than likely it broke the plane in bounds. The inside edge of that pylon establishes the left side of the plane.

Even if your assertion that the plane above the pylon

Sep 14, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

Is out of bounds, that image shows part of the ball to the right of the pylon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: aTm in-house video of the touchback not shown on TV ]

https://goo.gl/images/WMyE4O

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to argue with this angle.

Sep 14, 2018, 12:26 PM
Pylon.jpg(70.2 K)

It that is a 6 ft pylon, it gets hit by the football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 12:31 PM

Y'all are making my head hurt. The call was right on the field.

Sep 14, 2018, 4:52 PM

A pure judgement call. If the official had called it in favor of the Aggies, THAT call would have been upheld..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigers Won, move on...

Sep 14, 2018, 5:12 PM

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know...

Sep 14, 2018, 7:18 PM

The SEC network loves to create the idea we arent legit anytime we beat their teams. Like the “pick” play vs Bama. An argument could be made for fighting that. I know we still win, but perception matters too. It’s ok to defend our team.

Message was edited by: dagummit

Sep 14, 2018, 5:26 PM

That photo does not show anything that establishes that it went over the pylon, nor does any other shot that I have seen. The pylon camera comes close. I think the ball did go over it because one of the officials was in perfect position to make the call (the one running down the side line) said it did. Therefore, in my opinion, the right call was made and no one has any visual proof to claim otherwise.

Red Line***

Sep 14, 2018, 5:43 PM

These two stills from this video show conclusively

Sep 14, 2018, 6:38 PM

The ball broke the plane in the left front corner of the end zone. The shot is taken almost directly in line with the flight of the ball, as you can see by the reference point which is the guy in brown shorts. First pic shows ball leaving players hand clearly inside of pylon. Second shot next frame when ball has passed through out of bounds still on same line: brown shorts. The reason we know the ball has gone past end zone here is the pylon is falling, which happened once players reached it, ball a couple yards ahead. The video is aligned with ball flight and right of pylon.

Message was edited by: dagummit

Doesn't matter. They stopped our next drive and scored

Sep 14, 2018, 7:13 PM

on their next possession. This in no way was a factor in the outcome of the game. Why are we still discussing it?

Re: Doesn't matter. They stopped our next drive and scored

Sep 14, 2018, 7:25 PM

The argument is if it’s their ball on our 2, and they score the next play or two, we get the ball about the same time we got it after the touchback. Only now we aren’t up 8. Maybe tied, maybe up 1, maybe up 4. If we do what we did, 3 and out, and they do what they did, TD, they win.

This is why we fight.

Re: Doesn't matter. They stopped our next drive and scored

Sep 14, 2018, 9:03 PM

You cannot say that they score again because we would have not run KB up the gut 3 times for them to get the ball back.

Or maybe Elliott would have? ??

LOL, "why are we still talking about it"

Sep 14, 2018, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Doesn't matter. They stopped our next drive and scored ]

Because we discuss a lot of things regardless of it happened last week or last decade. To say we should just move on and not talk about it is silly. I guess there can be no more further discussion of our last NC since it's history.

If you don't want to talk about anything in the past because you have moved on them great....don't talk about it.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic