Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frank Howard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Frank Howard

Jun 2, 2014, 5:16 PM

For those who remember Coach Frank Howard, he was a wise man in addition to having been a good coach in his day. I say "wise," in that he said, "I resigned for health reasons; the alumni were sick of me." I wish all coaches could be that wise when their time comes!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard

Jun 2, 2014, 5:20 PM

met him and Mr McFadden a couple times while in school. Both were very interesting men

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2014, 5:22 PM

his son is pretty interesting too

Jun 2, 2014, 6:52 PM

His daughter is even more interesting! And beautiful!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2014, 5:21 PM

I know its not directly related, but I wonder how much better his record would have been if it weren't for the ACC having higher admission standards for much of his tenure.

Jun 2, 2014, 6:54 PM

I remember him saying " I am tired of going over to Georgia and getting beat with players that I could not get into Clemson".

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2014, 12:12 AM

True today!
Only problem today,
No Guns allowed at Practice!
Gameday OK!

Jun 2, 2014, 5:24 PM

Oh then, you were not in the stands in the pouring rain watching a FH-coached team attempt to stay out of the cellar in the ACC and win that ONE game in the ACC conference. When the fans call the plays ("Gore to the left, Gore to the right, Gore up the middle, punt"), then I think the coach waited a little too long to retire. Believe me - we have not endured the pain from Jack that Howard caused by hanging around longer. That is just one person's opinion I guess, but Jack doesn't bother me, whereas Howard did. But Howard was a legend, so what could anyone say?

Jun 2, 2014, 6:57 PM

How many years was he in the position of struggling to stay out of the ACC cellar?

Lol...Coach Howard had been hearing the tones of

Jun 2, 2014, 5:30 PM

discontent amongst the faithful for a while before he decided to give up football coaching. And considering the volume that football discontent carries at Clemson, they weren't exactly whispers.

But it was long before the anonymity of the internet and even into his sixties, Coach Howard coulda kicked a lot of peoples rear-end....or at least spit tobacco juice at'em. Towards the end, Coach Howard was afforded more than a modicum of respect and loyalty---which he more than deserved.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank's best quote is when he said he left Barlow Bend, AL..

Jun 2, 2014, 6:17 PM

"walking barefoot on a barbed-wire fence with a wildcat under each arm". He did so much more for Clemson than just coach football.

Howard took over from Jess Neely...

Jun 2, 2014, 6:31 PM

Neely told Howard to just throw up a few more bleachers at Riggs Field. As the story goes, Howard when on with his plans at our current Death Vally. He was a visionary.

Re: Howard took over from Jess Neely...yes he was

Jun 2, 2014, 7:00 PM

except for rowing. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I love Frank Howard***

Jun 2, 2014, 11:11 PM

Jun 2, 2014, 11:44 PM

My favorite Frank Howard story (paraphrased) involves a visit to Tuscaloosa, where Bear Bryant tells Frank that the red phone in his office dials long distance to Heaven. When the Bear visited Clemson and saw Frank's orange phone, Howard responded Heaven is a local call here.

Love that story.

Jun 3, 2014, 12:07 AM

Set across the table one night.
He ask Me, you telling me a member of the Class of 70, Yes Sir !
You one of Those Students " Wanted Me Fired " !
No Sir, Mr. Howard
" Just wanted you gone "
But Sir, I was just young and Dumb !

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic