Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How to shock start a negotiation:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,686

How to shock start a negotiation:

Aug 4, 2020, 3:02 PM

Demand 50/50 revenue split while knowing all long that the true goal is far more realistic (lower) percentage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why as a negotiator you must understand

Aug 4, 2020, 3:23 PM

the value you bring and negotiate based on that. If you panic and start thinking in terms of how low your counter can be, you’re screwed. The response can be a very firm “We have already offered to maintain your scholarship if you opt out due to COVID concerns...anyone who opts our that has signed their name to the WeAreUnited initiative, we have to assume is objecting to lack of payment and we will revoke your scholarship. We have a amateur athlete structure and you are free to participate or not.”

The ugly truth is that athletes (football) are getting a great deal. They can pass and try their luck getting ready for the NFL on their own, or join a developmental league if they can find one. Or they can take the best offer out there. Pass on that, and I think they put themselves at a huge disadvantage, but that’s their right. But if the schools pass on the players’ demands, they lose almost nothing.

null

I agree, step one is to properly understand your leverage.***

Aug 4, 2020, 3:27 PM

Re:How to shock start a negotiation: I thought at 1st glance

Aug 4, 2020, 3:23 PM

it said nepotism and not negotiation. I was going to then suggest ask Swoff

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:How to shock start a negotiation: I thought at 1st glance

Aug 4, 2020, 5:23 PM

Ask Swoff what, how to screw the entire system, he has been really good at that as the commissioner of the ACC!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And if your demands are unreasonable

Aug 4, 2020, 3:26 PM

as these student-athletes' demands are, then you risk alienating the other side and having them walk away from the negotiation table completely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Honestly, these "demands" could, and in my opinion SHOULD,

Aug 4, 2020, 3:42 PM

be a tipping point for academic leadership. A wake-up call that the tail has wagged the dog for far too long. It would be appropriate and admirable if they had some leadership come to the table with a firm "no", a re-commitment to the student-athlete model, and even some reductions in the expenses they put into college athletics.

null

Thank you Donald.***

Aug 4, 2020, 3:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How to shock start a negotiation:

Aug 4, 2020, 3:43 PM

Can we all agree that college FB has become one of the biggest money making markets that we have in this country as in big business. Well if you do agree that college FB is big business, there is no way in h&11 or high water can it remain a big business with splitting it's profit revenue with it participants of the game any more than than a big business if it's to remain a big business. No other big business does that with it's participants, (the employee's) if they did, they would be out of business just as college FB would be if they split their profits with the players!!! College FB players are getting what they knew they would get when they sign their letter of intent, and they have better options than most employee's that agree to work for whatever the salary was when they were accepted into a company work force!!! College FB players can transfer out to another same business and lose nothing, but some maybe at a higher risk of injury wherever they transfer to!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's called setting the box...

Aug 4, 2020, 4:07 PM

The risk you run over-inflating or under-valuing during a negotiation is insulting and/or alienating the opposing side.

It takes two parties to parties to negotiate and in my experience, rather than playing games, it's more productive to come to the table with the right frame of mind ready to get the deal done.

That approach has been pretty successful for me over the years but there have certainly been times when everyone who attended the meeting walked away really pi$$ed-off.

I attended a negotiation about six months ago and not only did the opposing side not show-up ready to negotiate, they actually requested an additional $30 million in costs that had never been mentioned previously.

I walked away pi$$ed-off that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

TigerBalm1 says you better start the negotiation with two

Aug 4, 2020, 5:27 PM

questions:

1) Are you a police officer?

2) Are you in any capacity working with or for law enforcement?

Rumor has it that not getting proper answers to these questions can lead to some immediately sirius problems.

Rumor also has it that getting the right answers from the wrong person can lead to other sirius problems down the road.

Moral of that story is: Don't negotiate in the first place. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TigerBalm1 says you better start the negotiation with two

Aug 4, 2020, 6:48 PM

Player split 50% of Conference revenue and health insurance in exchange for revenue sharing 50% of players income for 6 years whether they go NFL or work force.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,686
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic