Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How realistic is it to count on Lamar and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

How realistic is it to count on Lamar and

Feb 11, 2016, 4:29 PM

Smith to be big contributors in their first year? We need help here at minimum with depth.

I think two factors make this realistic 1) here for spring to get head start 2) both have weight already so that factor is off table as a limiter

The big wild card is mental adjustment, you never know who is a Watson or Watkins and who takes time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How realistic is it to count on Lamar and

Feb 11, 2016, 4:40 PM

I see Tre Lamar being a small factor. If Boulware moves to Mike backer,Rahshaun Smith will probably be the starter at Will if he beats out Chad Smith. If Boulware stays at Will backer, Rahshaun Smith and Chad Smithwill back him up and Tre Lamar will have to fight for the starting Mike spot with Kendall Joseph

Lamar can help early.***

Feb 11, 2016, 4:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Feb 11, 2016, 4:44 PM

Lamar will split time at mike with Chad Smith imo.

Smith will probably be a guy that is used for relief when boulware is gassing.

They will both be in the 2 deep imo and id wager Lamar will log more snaps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 11, 2016, 4:54 PM

Boulware doesn't gas......Boulware hits......Boulware can put out a fire with a gallon of gas.

The mental part will be easier because they are physically

Feb 11, 2016, 6:01 PM

advanced.

They'll both be in the two deep early and one will be starter by midseason. Think it'll be Lamar in the middle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The mental part will be easier because they are physically

Feb 11, 2016, 6:02 PM

Boulware can also get out of position on run plays that bust for big gains.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 11, 2016, 6:43 PM

We need them bad we only have 6 LB that will contribute on something other than S/T

Linebacker – 6
Ben Boulware (Senior)
Dorian O’Daniel (RS Junior)
Kendall Joseph (RS Sophomore)
Chad Smith (RS Freshman)
Tre Lamar (Freshman)
Shaq Smith (Freshman)

Linebacker – 10
Ben Boulware (Senior)
Dorian O’Daniel (RS Junior)
Jalen Williams (Sophomore)
Kendall Joseph (RS Sophomore)
Chad Smith (RS Freshman)
Judah Davis (Sophomore)
J.D. Davis (Sophomore)
Tre Lamar (Freshman) ###
Shaq Smith (Freshman) ###
Jamie Skalski (Freshman)

Ehhhhhhh....

Feb 11, 2016, 6:48 PM

Williams and Skalski are both guys that can make the 2-deep in the future. Don't count them out.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Ehhhhhhh....

Feb 11, 2016, 6:56 PM

I was putting Skalski down as a red-shirt this year . Williams I don't see him playing much just isn't big enough . Watching him play vs Wake wasn't good .

The question was for this year

Feb 11, 2016, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Ehhhhhhh.... ]

Skalski needs a RS year, and probably another on top of that to improve his body. He's not physically ready yet.

Ahhh. Then I agree on both.

Feb 12, 2016, 5:54 PM

I was talking about next season and beyond.

I expect one to be a starter by the end of the season.

Feb 11, 2016, 6:50 PM

Just too much talent to keep them off the field. Both will make the 2-deep immediately. But I think at least 1 of them will end up being a starter for the playoffs.

Not very would be my guess.

Feb 11, 2016, 7:05 PM

Justin Parker
Stephone Anthony
Tony Steward
Lateek Townsend
Ben Boulware
Dorian O'Daniel
Chad Smith
Korrie Rogers

These are the 4 and 5 star LBs we've signed since 2010. Only Anthony got significant PT as a true freshman as far as I can recall, and he didn't start until late November. I know Rogers gave up on football, and Townsend had some off field issues, but the fact is, based on the very recent past, it's a huge jump from being an elite, super-star high school LB to getting on the field at a high-level program like Clemson. LB in our system apparently requires a lot more than raw physical ability.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Not sure that it's specific to us, though

Feb 11, 2016, 7:31 PM

LB is just a tough ### position to come in and be an immediate contributor on at this level.

You're probably right.***

Feb 11, 2016, 8:06 PM

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Unusual but disagree with ST on this one ...

Feb 11, 2016, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Not very would be my guess. ]

I like these two oversized freshmen to rotate into playing mix by mid-season for several reasons:

1) they're big boys 2) they have the Spring and Summer to learn their assignments 3) they are coached by BV 4) the recruiting svcs can't be that wrong 5) it's happened before in 1989 - two freshman kids named Kirkland & Daniels were considered overmatched against Oklahoma. They dominated the low scoring bowl game and Ford's Tigers pulled out win in Switzer's last game as Sooners HC.

I know ... pretty compelling stuff. Hard to pick a bone with ST's perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's certainly possible, and I think a lack of experienced

Feb 11, 2016, 8:56 PM

depth at LB may work in their favor more than anything. If they are able to contribute significantly, I'll take that as a very good sign.

- H. L. Mencken

didnt BB go into the 2 deep as freshman?

Feb 11, 2016, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Not very would be my guess. ]

They ain't red shirting, the program is a different place than it was 4 years ago. These kids expect to be gone in 2.5 years. The guys who think seniority wins out have not looked at the tape. Seems like the consensus on Tigernet is that Ben Boulaware and the Safties can't keep their assignments. You guys do realize we blitzed a safety or a linebacker more than anyone because we had 2 shutdown corners the past couple years. If they blitz and the other team runs to a different side that is not a blown assignment, that is just football.

Boulware played 73 snaps as a freshman and had 25 tackles.

Feb 11, 2016, 9:09 PM

That's about 5 or 6 snaps a game. I'm pretty sure he was 2nd team at some point though.

- H. L. Mencken

Most of those LBs listed were FR under different DCs***

Feb 12, 2016, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Not very would be my guess. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2016, 5:13 PM

Very realistic! I think Smith is a natural for the Sam/NB spot. My 2-deep by mid season would be:
Sam/NB - Shaq Smith & O'Daniel
Mike - Lamar & Joseph
Will - Boulware & Chad Smith
Having Shaq, Lamar & Boulware on the field at the same time would be killer.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic