Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How naive were you as an incoming freshman at Clemson? I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1,201

How naive were you as an incoming freshman at Clemson? I

Mar 22, 2018, 10:58 AM

was green as the Irish countryside. For instance, as a freshman, the furthest I had ever been from Edgefield was the ATL other than a senior trip to DC. I only owned a couple of flannel shirts, about 4 or 5 tshirts, two pairs of jeans, one coat, two pairs of shorts, several pairs of boxers, a few pairs of socks, a pair of penny loafers, and a pair of high tops for hoops. I think I also owned one blue blazer and one tie.

I had only eaten real pizza twice in my life, once at Shakie's in Augusta, and once at some place in downtown North Augusta. I had never eaten real ravioli or sub sandwiches. I had never eaten Chinese food. I had only had one GF in HS (who went to Anderson JC to be near me)and that didn't last past my freshman year. I think the only beer I had drank was Bud, Miller, Schlitz,and PBR. The only liquor/Whiskey I had drank was rum, vodka, Jack, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, and Old Crow. I had never smoked any great weed either.

I had never heard of Cream, Springsteen, Bob Marley, Little Feat, the Kinks, the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Blind Faith, the Byrds, The Band, Santana, and tons more.

Johnstone was eye-opening and the best experience of my life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stumbling down memory lane today, huh?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:00 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at Clemson, but my first night in freshman dorms

Mar 22, 2018, 11:04 AM

I drank Everclear mixed with Gatorade, went to the Music Farm for a concert and wound up getting kicked out, wandering off and getting lost over on the northern East side of the Charleston Peninsula in the most ghetto place imaginable (up East Bay/Meeting past where the Ravenel Bridge dumps out).

Someone threw a shovel at me (I probably stepped on it and just interpreted it that way).

It took my friends about 4 hours to find me after the concern ended.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought you were older than a sophomore***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Old habits die hard

Mar 22, 2018, 11:07 AM

This was in 2007

28/29 huh***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

29***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:09 AM

When did you turn?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:09 AM

dahail you talking about?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:10 AM

Yep***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:11 AM

Re: When did you turn?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to When did you turn?*** ]

after a few beers, he'll turn over for me.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Can't finish without eye contact?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:35 AM

Re: Can't finish without eye contact?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:41 AM

How's this for you?

done***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:42 AM

Re: Old habits die hard

Mar 22, 2018, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Old habits die hard ]

one of my friends got shidfaced in a similar manner. Started wandering up I-26 trying to get back to mt pleasant (too drunk to find the east bay entrance with the ped walkway). Someone pulled over to help him then he got struck by a drunk driver and died at the scene.

That got pretty dark, dude***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:54 AM

in highschool

Mar 22, 2018, 11:07 AM

we used to go over and hang out in Johnstone and party with friends so I knew exactly what I was getting into. It was all downhill after that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I learned that the girls cared less about their

Mar 22, 2018, 11:08 AM

reputation, Willie sang more than On the Road Again, that some people liked to laugh at folks with rock n roll t-shirts on while others wanted to party.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The furthest I'd been from Columbia was

Mar 22, 2018, 11:13 AM

Sydney, Australia. There was no food at Clemson that I had not eaten before. Really wasn't a lot of beer or alcohol I hadn't already drunk in high school that wasn't super expensive or rare. All the major stuff I had already drunk. Smoked pounds of weed in high school. Had plenty of GF's in high school. Got laid a decent amount of times. I had heard of most bands students listened to, except the freakier ones who listened to garbage anyway. Our high school had its own gas chamber showers too, so that was nothing new. Also went to frat parties at Clemson when I was in high school, so that was not new either.

Nope. I would say I was prepared. I also learned that most kids had a sheltered childhood compared to me. There were no "firsts" for me in college to speak of. Not even strip clubs. I took the wild in high school/mature and responsible in college approach. I know many who reversed that order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I found out after college that I could have

Mar 22, 2018, 11:18 AM

been having way more fun in high school, I was just chasing the wrong chicks. Had 3 or 4 tell me I could have had my way. By the time I found this out, saying around Clover had already caught up to them.

Stupid me for chasing the popular 9s and 10s when the less popular 7s would have been just swell. But I also may have become stuck in Clover.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I found out after college that I could have

Mar 22, 2018, 11:24 AM

A 7 in clover is prolly like a 4 or 5 in charleston. You did right

They were all 3s and 4s by the time I

Mar 22, 2018, 11:26 AM

ever talked to them again. Also staying in a small town sure has a way of creating baggage for folks.

Can't speak for Clover. But high school was awesome

Mar 22, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I found out after college that I could have ]

And Clemson was too. And as wild as I was in high school, I never got arrested for anything. Never did in college either. Never have been in my life. Only had three speeding tickets ever.

But I know so many people who never grew out of their wild stage. I did. I knew I would have to some day.

As a side note, the most prudish people I knew in high school, the ones who made straight A's and never drank, smoked, or had fun at parties, THOSE people almost entirely went buck wild in college and many are still wild as adults. I took the opposite approach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, these guys my age are raising kids,

Mar 22, 2018, 11:30 AM

I'm still raising hell just like I did.

Re: Can't speak for Clover. But high school was awesome

Mar 22, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Can't speak for Clover. But high school was awesome ]

Re: How naive were you as an incoming a freshman at Clemson? I

Mar 22, 2018, 11:25 AM

As a freshman, I had only drank once or twice in my life. Never had #####. Dated the same girl since 10th grade (SarahAdidas), Never done any drugs. I'd been as far north as Maine, as far south as Key West, as far east as The Atlantic Ocean, and as far west as Atlanta. I didn't drink a drop of alcohol, do a single drug, or have actual sex at Clemson until my junior year.

After I turned 21, I went buck-wild so to speak.

Mar 22, 2018, 11:27 AM

SarahAdidas didn't allow seggs until Junior year? after dating for 5 years?

Wow. You're a loyal man mane. I can respeck that

Mar 22, 2018, 11:30 AM

It was me, not her. Ol' papa Adidas put the fear of God in me about getting her preggers.

We dated from 10th grade until present day (going on 18 years I think) and I didn't go to pound town until I was a jr.

I was getting domed and eatin' that thang like groceries pretty much from day 1, so it's all good.

I remember when my parents found condoms in my bedroom

Mar 22, 2018, 11:32 AM

when I came home for winter break freshman year.

That was a good lutz moment. You ought to see the look on a southern baptists moms face after finding those and a handle of captain morgan stashed away

Re: I remember when my parents found condoms in my bedroom

My dad found a bag of weed in my little bro's sock drawer when I was a freshman at Clemson.

Papa Adidas made him dig a HUGE hole in the backyard with a shovel and bury it. I wasn't there, but allegedly the hole was the size of a refrigerator.

lulz

sooo

Mar 22, 2018, 11:45 AM

has it sprouted yet?

Try a Pentecostal holy roller of a mom.

Mar 22, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I remember when my parents found condoms in my bedroom ]

Me and dad of were in the river in our one man boats. He takes the phone call, says "yeah I'll talk to him"

He came up beside me, told me what happened. Asked if I was "having sex in college"

Retorted "If I was it wouldn't be in my wallet"

He said "good point" and kept fishing.

He knew and the next morning another one was back in my wallet. I'm assuming one of his.

Wait, so your mom confiscated your condom?

Mar 22, 2018, 11:55 AM

What did she think that was going to accomplish?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

avoiding pregnancy?

Mar 22, 2018, 12:00 PM

like she shoulda done the first time

too much?

She threw it away.

Mar 22, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Wait, so your mom confiscated your condom? ]

because that was going to solve the problem.

Thankfully father of is a little more level headed than her.

Best comment he had on the sechses was after I started dating my now wife who had been married and divorced.

Mother of wanted him to investigate to find out if I was banging that booty hole on the reg like it mattered. He didn't want to know and just said,

"Well son, you know once those women get that itch scratched they want to keep scratching it. Just be careful"

Not too long ago I found out that your Facebook messages

Mar 22, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: How naive were you as an incoming a freshman at Clemson? I ]

are saved forever. Went through and read a bunch from my old high school gf who wouldn't give it up after over two years of dating. Needless to say, I had moved on upon leaving high school. No idea why I didn't just flat out break it off, but I was a cold SOB back then. Makes me cringe just thinking about the messages she would send begging me to just please talk to her. So sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:38 AM

I'd C&P but honestly I don't want to read them again

Mar 22, 2018, 11:44 AM

Some things are better left in the past. I also found messages from my ex girlfriend I cheated on the ex gf from high school with asking me where the fugg I was because I had wandered off in downtown Columbia....to cheat on her with someone else. I dated her for a couple of years too. I was a POS until like 2012.

misspelled "2018"***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:45 AM

I'll still knock your ### out and rob you blind, but I

Mar 22, 2018, 11:53 AM

haven't cheated on my wife thank you.

How do you navigate to these old messages?

Mar 22, 2018, 12:06 PM [ in reply to I'd C&P but honestly I don't want to read them again ]

Axing for a friend.

Nevermind. I deleted all my bad ones and they are supposedly gone.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Just had to go into messenger and scroll down to find them

Mar 22, 2018, 12:10 PM

Went back since I joined. Had a lot of interesting stuff I totally forgot about. Apparently when it was new people used the messenger a lot more.

Ok. I thought deleted messages were there. Whew.

Mar 22, 2018, 12:14 PM

;)

apparently, when someone de-friends you, you lose the chat

Mar 22, 2018, 12:17 PM

along with the nudes of their ex wife.

ISN'T THAT RIGHT @TOTE1?

WHOOPS, NEVERMIND

Mar 22, 2018, 12:19 PM

..as I pull it up on my ipad at work to double-check my claims.

and clams.

Always save noods. Never know when they will disappear.

Mar 22, 2018, 12:26 PM

Samsung GS8 has a cool feature for this, so I heard from a friend.

Same wardrobe when you were Jr and SR ....

Mar 22, 2018, 11:31 AM

Think you spent all your money on expanding your knowledge of beer, whiskey and contraband.

Yes most all, including me were still wet behind the ears.

I grew up in Clemson.

Mar 22, 2018, 11:34 AM

I understood and looked forward to everything that Johnstone had to offer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knew a bunch of local Clemson boys after being there a few

Mar 22, 2018, 11:56 AM

years. They were wise beyond their years:

Jim Estes
Mike Byrd
Billy Cox
Donnie Reamer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

us local boys knew the ropes. been there done that!***

Mar 22, 2018, 12:18 PM

i grew up in central so we were neighbors. was familiar with

Mar 22, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I grew up in Clemson. ]

all the drinking establishments in clemson

not naive at all, but was very well behaved pre-college

not including a week in France JR year in HS, i think I only drank a small bit only a handful of times (though I liked it, and knew we was about to get crunk), never smoked (was adamantly against it, in fact), and I'd never even SEEN any drugs.

Moved in to Johnston Aug 11

Was in complete derelict mode by 5pm Aug 12

What took so #### long?***

Mar 22, 2018, 11:50 AM

How about you derelict

Mar 22, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to not naive at all, but was very well behaved pre-college ]

my balls

Re: How about you derelict

Mar 22, 2018, 11:54 AM

PUT A CORK IN IT ZANE***

Mar 22, 2018, 12:01 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First impression: What the F is that gun rack doing there?

1. That and the asbestos fire retardant on the overhead of my room in Johnstone.
2. The smoke stacks across from my room added to the allure of living in Johnstone.
3. Probability and Statistics: First day, professor comes in with a jar of white marbles with a few black ones strewn in. "If I reach my hand in this jar, what do you think the probability of pulling out a black marble?" My response (not spoken), "Why do I give a f*ck what the probability of pulling out a black marble was?" Needless to say, the first course I ever got an F in at Clemson.
4. The Book Store. $1.85 pitchers of beer. Needless to say.....another reason I had a challenging freshman fall semester.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First week there was a sign in the Loggia that said

Mar 22, 2018, 11:57 AM

"BEER IS GOOD"

Was an advertisement for Edgar's

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had 3 Bud Lights and got a pretty heavy buzz going.***

Mar 22, 2018, 12:00 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not very, although I was as yet fairly uncorrupted

Mar 22, 2018, 12:03 PM

Had a great time pretty much the whole time I was there. Never understood the people who went home on weekends and got homesick.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to Edgar's my 1st night.

Mar 22, 2018, 12:06 PM

They were selling 24 oz beer for $2. Really don't remember the next day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I was actually amazed at how naive so many freshmen were and

Mar 22, 2018, 12:28 PM

had a LOT of fun at their expense. But then again, I was pretty much the Devil incarnate on my hall. I quickly found out that growing up in Rock Hill put me miles ahead of the pack in terms of bad behavior experiences.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is HY really your older brother?

Mar 22, 2018, 12:47 PM

josephg®

No, Jim G.***

Mar 22, 2018, 1:10 PM

I was young, dumb, and full of

Mar 22, 2018, 12:58 PM

ideas of what life was like on my own. It took me about 2 days to learn to drink beer, 4 days to start enjoying it, and a few months to really partake in other activities. I was in the Honors Dorms so I had a SLIGHTLY sheltered Freshman year but we had friends in D-Square and friends with a Lakehouse that we frequented. It was at that Lakehouse I discovered weed, the Grateful Dead, and a love of Jack Daniels. By sophmore year I was following Widespread Panic on tour and fully enjoying all college had to offer.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 64
| visibility 1,201
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic