Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much of "your" Clemson remains today?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

How much of "your" Clemson remains today?

Feb 15, 2020, 9:07 AM

I start this post by saying, in spirit, I think it is all still there. But as far as the physical plant, a great deal of what was there when I attended in 1972-76 is now gone, or nearly covered up by newer buildings.

Johnstone: Mostly gone, and best forgotten!

Clemson House: Also sadly gone, they should at least bring back the iconic Clemson House neon sign in some fashion, it was a landmark I always looked for when pulling back onto the campus late on a Sunday evening.

Death Valley: Much improved, obviously. They were building the first upper deck during my last year there.

Earle Hell (Hall): The Chemical Engineering basterd (er, bastion) still remains in all its understated frumpiness.

Quadrangle inside Johnstone: Gone before I even left, it was partially razed to build the Student Union, which I am told has now also been razed and replaced with a newer building. Time marches on.

Frat Quad: The shells of some of the frat buildings remain, but they were completely gutted and redone inside a few years ago. I remember being back on campus at that time, and being able to look straight through the shell from side to side, wondering just what was holding it up!

ATM Banks on campus: Man, would this have been a big help back then! I had to wait on snail mail to arrive from home, praying the post office wouldn't screw it up. But, like clockwork, my mom's letter would arrive on Thursday, or Friday latest, with precious actual money inside it. (Who risks that today?)

Lots of other changes on campus, which others can detail in replies to this message, I am sure.

Downtown Clemson: No more Red Parkers Scoreboard ice cream shop, long gone. The Red Carpet Lounge morphed into Tiger Town Tavern. The Study Hall Pizza place came, went, and has now returned in some form.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much of "your" Clemson remains today?

Feb 15, 2020, 9:15 AM

Downtown - The Library, The Grocery, and The Attic. The Attic had the best fried mushrooms. And The Library, The Grocery, and The Study Hall all understood that checks written to them wouldn't be questioned by your parents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 15, 2020, 9:20 AM

"Honey, we are so proud of you spending all this time at The Library. My mom and I had our doubts and you have proven us wrong."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 9:24 AM

"All that time you spend at the library and study hall... All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

I wish my parents were that naive.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: How much of "your" Clemson remains today? ]

One thing hasn’t changed. They still get my money!!! I hope that you all can say this so we can keep it alive and well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 9:37 AM

Lolol thus should be post of the day. Might not have to still be working!!!! Jk. Seriously, wouldn't trade a dime for the memories.

Think if I were a coot and given as much as I have, I'd consider jumping off willy bee... Cause I'd have to look in the mirror and say stupid.... Oh wait, nevermind.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, I just had a murky flashback about The Grocery.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: How much of "your" Clemson remains today? ]

I remember seeing the group "Mother's Finest" there in concert back during that time. I remember the black girl lead singer wearing a wide belt with a bright red heart shaped plastic belt buckle with the word HOT on it. Ain't it funny what you still remember nearly 50 years on?

Yes!!!!***

Feb 15, 2020, 10:15 AM

Re: Wow, I just had a murky flashback about The Grocery.

Feb 15, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Wow, I just had a murky flashback about The Grocery. ]

I gets a sad when I see whatever is occupying the spot in the triangle downtown where Dan's restaurant was. All those rat season late-night food runs. And the old
Clemson theater downtown, gone now. I presume the old Y theater and its 50-cent flicks is gone, too. I remember first day of soph year, '67, a buddy and I came out of the Heartburn Commons dining hall and made a couple a couple of rats play leapfrog across the Quad. Turned out that wasn't much fun, so we left the rats alone after that. I went through a spell where I just couldn't stomach the dining hall and practically lived on ham, egg and cheese sammiches from the old canteen. That and terrible tasting, but lethally hot, black coffee. I'm guessing there's no panty raids after pep rallies any more, and doubt the tradition of setting dumpsters on fire as a display of school spirit persists. Ah, those were the days....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, I just had a murky flashback about The Grocery.

Feb 15, 2020, 10:40 AM

Remember it well, watching the stolen fire truck circle the quadrangle in '62 and '63.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: How much of "your" Clemson remains today? ]

Nick’s had the mushrooms downstairs. The Attic did have foosball tables though ??

Feb 15, 2020, 12:41 PM

You're right! Thanks for correcting that!

Feb 15, 2020, 10:15 AM

The Tiger spirit. Wondered whether it would remain after changed from a military college, but it lives on.
A Wake Forest grad and UNC Med school doctor told me at Rotary meeting that he had never met a person who went to Clemson that did not love the place. I think some of these Triangle university grads actually envy us. I know that's true in Football.
Looking forward to seeing all the changes in June when our daughter is bringing. us ot my 70th class reunion

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 10:19 AM

1950 grad? Hats off to you sir!

Feb 15, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: How much of "your" Clemson remains today? ]

Tigerkid Glade you are still a kid in heart and mind.

Feb 15, 2020, 10:17 AM

Downtown - Chanelo's and the Vesuvius hamburger sub. Ate my weight in those.

Feb 15, 2020, 10:24 AM

^^ This!

I second that. Dang those Vesuvian subs were the best.

The Chanelo's Pizza delivery guys shirts said on the back: "Had a piece lately?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 1:33 PM

656-6990
Dial the Hungry Number

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

TU _ any memory of Earle Hall is mixed emotions. ***

Feb 15, 2020, 10:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 11:45 AM

A whole lot. We were an all male military school.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not much.***

Feb 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

Feb 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

East Beach (great hangout spot), Bengal Ball, bowling, arcade and Edgar’s (#### Child’s Guitar Army), Tillman Concerts (Dixie Dreggs), The Corporation, Y-movies, and Rocky Horror night at the downtown theatre.

Fleetwood Mac and Bob Segar at Littlejohn.

Lord, I remember, I remember.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 1:27 PM

My pranks would be felonies today... Thank you, Dean Lomax...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 6:51 PM

Moved back to Clemson in ’08. I have longed for Nick’s mushrooms. The only ones close are at the new 4-Paws (used to be Beef O’Brady’s). They are not consistent but they’re never bad, and when they hit it just right they certainly remind me of Nick’s. 4-Paws also has a Versuvian (it may not always be on the menu, but you can always ask for it). Again it is not what I remember from Chanello’s but it does bring back memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic