Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many of you feel this way?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

How many of you feel this way?

Nov 4, 2012, 10:29 PM

THE most important game this season is VS Scar. I would love to see us in another BCS bowl or possibly another ACC Championship BUT I would give up all of that to beat the coots. Four in a row would be devastating. IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many of you feel this way?

Nov 4, 2012, 10:31 PM

Well unless we win the ACC then a BCS bid pretty much relies on beating the Gamecocks.

But I'd choose an ACC title over a SC win. Every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2012, 10:31 PM

Not from SC huh?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2012, 10:33 PM

AMEN brother!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2012, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of you feel this way? ]

Nope. I'm not.

I prefer my teams to win titles.

Then again, not being from SC is probably why I understand that.

Seeing that you...

Nov 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

are from Randolph , MA, you will NEVER understand it

Re: Seeing that you...

Nov 4, 2012, 10:48 PM

You're not familiar with Boston, MA? I'm very familiar with championships.

It's why I didn't get giddy over an ACC title. A bad conference championship doesnt really compare to a World Series, Super Bowl or Stanley Cup.

But Dabo and company are making progress.

Like I said....

Nov 4, 2012, 10:50 PM

you will never get it!

No, us stupid southerners have never heard of Boston.

PSST...we are talking college football. How is your hometown BC team doing??

Re: Like I said....

Nov 4, 2012, 10:52 PM

Well I go to Clemson. So I'm not too concerned with BC football.

But as for your initial point, yes, I do indeed know what a championship is like and wouldn't be silly enough to choose a win over South Carolina over a conference title.

Nov 4, 2012, 10:55 PM

Psst- you ain't gonna beat 250-- EVER- better quit while you think you are ahead.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2012, 10:56 PM

250? 250 what?

Again, as I said....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Like I said.... ]

you will never get. Live in SC all your life and you would know what it means. And, are you really comparing super bowls and world series to college football?? What do those championships have to do with Clemson?????

And if you want to talk championships, beating the coots wins the State championship...so that is a beginning

Re: Again, as I said....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:06 PM

This shouldn't be that difficult. I said I prefer championships over rivalry wins. You (or someone) said "You live in Randolph, MA, you obviously don't.

I said Boston has won plenty of titles so I'm clearly familiar. That's what the championships have to do with me and Clemson.

As for understanding the rivalry, I've been around Red Sox-Yankees and Celtics-Lakers my whole life.

Yea, I think I know a thing or two about rivalries.

Same for Sox-Yanks or Celtics-Lakers as Clemson-SC, always take a championship over one win.

There is a clear difference between Boston rivalries and

Nov 5, 2012, 7:21 AM

a Clemson/South Carolina rivalry that I don't think most people around the country understand. I don't want to take anything away from the intensity of a Red Sox-Yankees rivalry or the Celtics-Lakers rivalry. However, there are two key differences:

(1) Red Sox/Yankees and Lakers/Celtics play multiple times per year, not once a year, and it's unusual (though certainly not unheard of) for one team to sweep the entire season. When you only play once a year the stakes are far higher.

(2) Those Boston rivalries are not in-state rivalries. For example if you're a Celtics fan, you're not surrounded by Lakers fans on a constant, daily basis. Whereas if you're a Clemson fan that lives in SC you're surrounded by Gamecocks each and every day (and vice versa), everywhere you go, every time you leave your home or your car. The only exception to this that I can think of is in Clemson itself. So when you're on the losing end of that rivalry you hear about it, you're reminded of it 365 days a year.

While an ACC Championship is incredible, and I'd take it over the *occasional* loss to South Carolina, there is no way I'd take it every year over that loss. Losing two years in a row to USC is terrible; losing 3 years in a row to them is borderline unacceptable, and losing 4 years in a row to them is absolutely unacceptable. This year, seeing as we don't control our own destiny in the ACC, I'm far more focused on beating USC than I am about the ACC title game. If we get in, great; but it's a secondary concern at this point.

^^ this guy gets it***

Nov 5, 2012, 11:56 AM

Re: Again, as I said....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Again, as I said.... ]

even though i don't live in SC now,i did live in the belly of the beast,cootlumbia,for 3 yrs.it was the early 70's and usuc was having a fair amount of athletic success competing against us.it is a vast understatement to say that i want to see the TIGERS beat usuc this and any other year.i fully understand the unspeakable horror of having to hand over a year's worth of bragging rights to those losers at richland community college.the only thing better would be a national championship.

tigers beat usuc this year.i fully understand the feelings of anyone who lives in SC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

give it ONE day down here...and you will change your mind

Nov 4, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of you feel this way? ]

TRUST me

they are worst than any fan you can think of............and yes........ FAR worse than yankees fans

Re: give it ONE day down here...and you will change your mind

Nov 4, 2012, 10:59 PM

I assume you mean Columbia?

And I'd say the same thing about the Yankees.

I'd go 0-18 against the Yankees every season if we won the World Series.

Championships mean more than a rivalry game any day.

pro sports in general are different......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:03 PM

in college championships matter, but RIVALRIES fuel college football.........and we don't get to play USC 18 times

again, if you were in SC you would see/hear/feel what it's like to hear their fans throw it in our face 365 days out of the year...........and to their credit they've earned braggin rights the last 3 years, i'd trade ANY championship to change that

Re: pro sports in general are different......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:09 PM

To each their own.

I'll never get that though.

50 years from now, nobody will care about one Clemson-USC game. Everyone remembers champions.

i will remember..........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:13 PM

that the ACC champion of 2011 got their faces stomped in by NCState...........and for a 3rd straight year (1st time in 30+ yrs) USC kicks clemson's teeth in..............then in the orange bowl got orange crushed by WVU..........an ACC championship looks good in a trophy case, but right now you have to do a LOT MORE to prove your worth

Re: i will remember..........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:22 PM

While you remember all that, don't forget the blissful 2008 season where Clemson got the all-important win over South Carolina on their way to 7-6, a bowl loss and 4-way tie for last in the Atlantic Division.

yep......when you say 2008......i remember........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:25 PM

bama killed us.......tommy got fired...........that was our LAST victory over USC which kept their sorry garbage mouths shut for 365 days.......it was great

and please keep in mind........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Re: i will remember.......... ]

im not saying i want to got 1-11 and beat USC..............I want ALL.........i want to go to BEAT USC AND go to a BCS bowl........not askin' for much here

Re: and please keep in mind........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:29 PM

That wasn't the question though. Anyone would take both of best worlds.

Question was choose between a championship or a South Carolina win.

ok.....this year for example.........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:32 PM

I'd take an 11-1 record (which obviously includes a win over USC) and FSU winning out (which prevents us from winning an ACC championship)........and an at large BCS berth in the sugar bowl

over

a loss to USC.......an ACC championship......and an Orange bowl appearance against Louisville

yes I'd take option #1 ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no questions asked

Re: ok.....this year for example.........

Nov 4, 2012, 11:34 PM

Yea I wouldn't. Any time I can watch a team win a championship I'll take that option.

maybe it's b/c you're not from down here, but.....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:38 PM

beating USC would be a greater accomplishment than winning the ACC

the winner of the coastal will probably have 4 losses

USC will be ranked in the top 7-8 in the country

i chooses state CHAMPIONSHIP over ACC Championship.........have you heard how they talk about the ACC........better yet have you seen how BAD the ACC is????????

again you have to prove your worth in other ways than just winning the ACC High School league

Re: maybe it's b/c you're not from down here, but.....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:40 PM

When one has experienced the Red Sox-Yankees, I don't think the "maybe if you were from down here" line really carries weight.

It's not as if I don't understand what rivalries are about.

I've lived through the biggest national rivalry in all of sports, collegiate or pro.

I'm pretty sure I understand a rivalry.

i know you understand rivalries but pro sports are different

Nov 4, 2012, 11:47 PM

not to mention BASEBALL is VERY different

there is more of a personal connection with the teams of collegiate rivalries. Clemson and USC aren't in the AL East together, so when the ACC champ gets beat by a 3rd place SEC east team......it doesn't sit well.....nor does it look good........again so what if we win the ACC who did we beat?

AND....since you are comparing pro and college.......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe it's b/c you're not from down here, but..... ]

world series, super bowls.........those equate in the college game to NATIONAL Championships...............so in that case CLEMSON COULD NOT win a NATIONAL Championship WITHOUT beating USC.......(not talking about this year.......any year)

I've been a Red Sox fan

Nov 5, 2012, 1:32 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe it's b/c you're not from down here, but..... ]

all my life, and I hate the Yankees, but I would absolutely take a Clemson win over USuC this year rather than the ACC championship. Living in MA, you have plenty of other Boston fans around you to blunt the losses to the Yankees. It might be different if you lived in Manhattan. In SC we have to live with the classless Gamecock fans every day.

Please stop comparing Red Sox-Yankees to this rivalry.

Nov 5, 2012, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: maybe it's b/c you're not from down here, but..... ]

They aren't similar at all. First and foremost, it's baseball. Secondly, if you're from MA, you don't live around a bunch of Yankees fans. Thirdly, we play them ONE time a year.

In 2003, Clemson beat USC 63-17. We still bring that up to them. In 2011, they beat the ACC champions 34-13. They will constantly make fun of us for that.

Do you ever go up to a Yankees fan and say, "On May 28, 2005, we beat the crap out of you 17-1"? No, because you play each other 18 freaking times a year. One game doesn't matter in baseball. It does in football.

One game also doesn't matter in basketball, so don't begin to tell me Celtics-Lakers is a rivalry. It's pro basketball so A. who cares? B. you live on opposite coasts and C. who cares?

When you grow up a Clemson fan in the state of SC and you're surrounded by Gamecocks, this game means absolutely everything. When you grow up a USC fan in the state of SC and you're surrounded by Tigers, this game means absolutely everything.

And you talk about how much you want to celebrate championships yet earlier you said it didn't mean a lot when we won the ACC last year.

This game is more important than the ACC. It's as simple as that.

lol...

Nov 4, 2012, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: pro sports in general are different...... ]

I can tell you who won the Clemson/coot game 50 yrs ago. And I bet many Clemson fans could do the same.

But I couldn't tell you who won the super bowl or world series 50 yrs ago

Re: lol...

Nov 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

I said people, as in the public. Of course you can remember a game of your own team.

so, Clemson is not your team?? I get it now***

Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 PM

Re: so, Clemson is not your team?? I get it now***

Nov 4, 2012, 11:35 PM

Is this the part where I kick and scream for you to believe I root for Clemson?

If you don't live here, or are not even from here...

Nov 5, 2012, 2:42 AM [ in reply to Re: give it ONE day down here...and you will change your mind ]

There is no need to reply. You don't have a clue as to what goes on in the rivalry. It's easy for you to sit back and throw out your Boston titles to everyone while you get a degree, move away, and leave the rest of us to deal with coots.

Mark Twain said it best, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: give it ONE day down here...and you will change your mind

Nov 5, 2012, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: give it ONE day down here...and you will change your mind ]

You're missing the point of all this. See @Grover173's post further up the page. He does a great job of explaining it.

You must

Nov 4, 2012, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of you feel this way? ]

live in Alaska

I take offense to that...***

Nov 4, 2012, 10:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bet there are not many

Nov 4, 2012, 10:43 PM

A-hole coots to deal with up there.

I see what you're saying, but

Nov 4, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of you feel this way? ]

you're out of your skull bud! Winning titles is the best , but beating the coots is a title in itself. You're not from here so it may be hard for you to understand. Come to think of it, I know a few CU grads not from the Palmetto State that would strongly disagree. In this state we understand about winning titles. We've won them before and want more of them.... Coots don't have any and it sure looks like it to me hat the are busting their a$$es to change that.

ditto..***

Nov 5, 2012, 6:23 AM [ in reply to Re: How many of you feel this way? ]

you can't have a successful season w/ a loss to SoCar.......

Nov 4, 2012, 10:48 PM

09- 1st ACCCG appearance...........don't care b/c we were EMBARASSED by USC

10-face it..........we SUCKED that year

11- 1st ACCCG victory and an Orange Bowl berth...........sorry don't care we were EMBARASSED for a 3rd straight year by USC

Being a TRUE clemson fan I can't take losses to USC.........don't care what our record is........the fact that there's a mentality of "we can still have a successful season if we lose to the coots" ABSOLUTELY SICKENS ME.......and it should sicken any TRUE clemson fan

We are clemson.......we used to beat USC.........remember our roots

Not trying to argue with your point, but do you consider

Nov 4, 2012, 10:59 PM

6-6 with a victory over Scar successful or acceptable? Because we had quite a few years of that with TB and people weren't happy with that either. I know everyone would like undefeated seasons and championships but it can't happen every year.

no, here is my "acceptable" standards.......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:07 PM

at LEAST 9-3/10-2 every year (very do-able in the ACC)
1 ACC championship every 3 yrs (appearance every other year)..........again, very do-able in the ACC

NEVER ACCEPT losing to USC..........but since nobody's perfect............1 loss every 4-5 years.....NEVER lose to them like we've done 3 years in a row.

So our whole history is unnaceptable?

Nov 4, 2012, 11:11 PM

We have won 59.6% of all meetings. Your loss 1 every 4 or 5 years is 77.7% (I used 3.5 wins in every 4.5 meetings)

i'll knock it down to Tommy Bowden level.......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:18 PM

he lost 2 times in 9 meetings.....that would be perfect.......only stepping the regular season record up to 9-10 wins a year

This is how I feel

Nov 4, 2012, 11:14 PM [ in reply to you can't have a successful season w/ a loss to SoCar....... ]

In years past it pissed me off to hear Coot fans in Cootville say "I don't care how we do as long as we beat Clemson" I would tell them how stupid they were and that Championships mean more. However, now that we have lost for past three years I am tired of losing to them and listening to their garbage mouths that nothing but BS comes out of including their over rated coach. It's time to make "DEATH VALLEY" live up to its name.

Re: you can't have a successful season w/ a loss to SoCar.......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:28 PM [ in reply to you can't have a successful season w/ a loss to SoCar....... ]

I gotta side with BDoherty here, and not just because I am also a Clemson fan from MA.

Maybe I'm simplifying, and maybe I'd feel different if i grew up in SC, but what I'm sorta hearing is I'd rather go 1-11 for a decade and 10-0 v. SC than 12-1, 10 acc champs and 10 bcs wins in a decade, but 0-10 v SC

I don't think most Clemson friends I know could live with that, but maybe I'm wrong

no, no, no.......it's not an either or for me......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:30 PM

go 10-2, beat USC, go to a BCS game.......plain and simple

Re: no, no, no.......it's not an either or for me......

Nov 4, 2012, 11:34 PM

Ha, I know, and I know I'm exaggerating. Someone brought up the point, maybe I'd have a different opinion if I had to hear it from my neighbors for 365 days, that would be no fun

Feels like we need to avoid the 0-4 this year though. I'm confident, this team is so much fun to watch

Biggest game was FSU

Nov 4, 2012, 11:03 PM

Conference championships and BCS appearances are more important.

The Suck game is absolutely the most important this year

Nov 4, 2012, 11:35 PM

It will be the biggest game so far in Swinneys career and clemson. There are a lot of fans including myself who are not yet sold. I myself have always been a Danny Ford guy I will admit. I loved that mean style of play and it use to be what clemson was about. When I see Alabama and LSU play that is what we use to be. A feared team to be reckoned with because of how physically punishing we were. We are not that now. We are now a finesse team and I simply doubt I will get use to it. The only thing that can make me and others like me come around is for Dabo to beat USUCK this year. There are no excuses. We have the better team at least on paper and we get them at home. They have beat us 3 straight years and that is unacceptable as a Tiger fan....4 in a row is unthinkable and is a firable offense in my view. Only a victory this year over them will begin to sway some of us who havent been sold yet. If he loses this whole website will collapse and in all honesty you will begin to hear of Dabo being on the hotseat no matter what his recruiting class is. We must win that game and we must win it this year.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Nov 4, 2012, 11:41 PM

no excuses........NONE

So you'd be willing to fire Dabo if we finished 10-2 with a

Nov 4, 2012, 11:57 PM

loss to Scar? How long would you give the next coach to start beating them? I'm sure we can all agree they are not the same team TB was winning against, as we are not the same team that couldn't get to that next level. I think if you set a standard of having 10 win seasons yet firing the coach due to a single game then it will be hard to find a good coach who will/can stay for more than a few seasons.

Re: The Suck game is absolutely the most important this year

Nov 4, 2012, 11:56 PM [ in reply to The Suck game is absolutely the most important this year ]

Agreed. We have to beat them. It is THE most important game of the year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2012, 2:14 AM

I'm with you on this to an extent Stodd1515. It would be devastating to lose 4 in a row to Carolina. But it would also be devastating to lose another bowl game. Im setting my expectations to just beating Carolina for the moment - at least we can have bragging rights and get that monkey off our backs, and so far, this seems to be a year of accomplishing that task.

Nothing sucks worse than a Carolina fan saying that because they beat Clemson, then by proxy, they beat all the teams Clemson beat. Like last year they said they were the ACC champs. It's time to shut them up.

I tend to agree. Different Scenarios:

Nov 5, 2012, 3:54 AM

Best Case - Beat Coots. FSU Loses. ACC Title. Orange Bowl.

Nearly Best Case - Beat Coots. FSU wins out. Sugar Bowl (I'd rather play in the Sugar Bowl anyway).

Almost worst case: Beat Coots. Chic Fil A Bowl.

Absolute worst case: Lose to Coots - Chic Fil A Bowl.

I want to beat the coots as bad as anyone but

Nov 5, 2012, 7:25 AM

I've come to look at it as just another game..... it's business and Dabo has been taking care of business... we will win but let's don't give too much respect to University of Cootville.... they don't deserve it....

Exactly! Our season doesn't hinge on beating the Chickens

Nov 5, 2012, 9:14 AM

Their season has always been defined on trying to beat us.

Nov 5, 2012, 7:42 AM

This year it is the time to dig in for the ACC and get the sec teams at the end of the year. A sweep by GT, FSU, AND CLEMSON would do wonders for our conference. I am not saying the ACC is that good, but those teams aren't any better than FSU or CU. On any given day it is a toss up. For GT to win it will be luck, but they sometime have a golden horseshoe. You can bet none of the ACC schools get a break from the refs. ESPN SAID NO!!!!! So, we will need to put the pedal to the metal and take the refs out of the game. This year the ACC championship doesn't mean as much as winning out for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beating the ##### is the main thing!

Nov 5, 2012, 8:57 AM

nm

Nov 5, 2012, 10:39 AM

The reason I brought this up is I see so many posts about the ACC Championship and what bowl game we might go to. I'm excited about those things as well but it pales in comparison to beating Scar this year. IMO this game, this year, is Dabo's biggest of his career so far. We are on the verge of taking our program to the next level. Honestly, Scar already has. They are not as good as they think they are but they have played much better competition. If we win every game but FSU & Scar, what have we really accomplished?

Nov 5, 2012, 10:49 AM

We play MD this week. They are our most important game at this point.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic