Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCSU pulls the ‘Our State’ campaign after going 0-4
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,543

NCSU pulls the ‘Our State’ campaign after going 0-4

Jun 5, 2014, 2:54 PM

Wolfpack pulls the plug on ‘Our State’ campaign

RALEIGH — N.C. State is retiring the marketing tagline it liberally borrowed from an SEC school that turned into a punchline.

The "This is Our State" campaign will join the unitard in Wolfpack infamy and be replaced with a new slogan before the football season, N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow said Thursday.

"Ocassionally, we adopt a new primary theme to keep things fresh for our teams and fans, as occurs at most athletic programs," Yow wrote in an email Thursday. "These usually have a shelf life of several years."

N.C. State went winless against four in-state opponents in football during the 2013 season, losing to North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest and East Carolina in the same season for the first time.

Moments after its 42-28 drubbing of the Wolfpack on Nov. 23, in front of mostly visiting purple-clad fans in Raleigh, ECU fans had a billboard up in Wake Forest with the final score and the words: "ARRRRR State."

The parameters of the Wolfpack's alleged domain went from the state borders to the Beltline by basketball season. The men's team lost to Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and relative Division I newcomer N.C. Central.

According to Yow, the slogan was never meant to be a territorial declaration or claim of dominance in any single sport, rather a reflection of the number of alumni in the state of North Carolina and their $7.3 billion annual impact on the state economy. Yow also noted the university is the largest four-year institution in the state.

The "Our State" concept was previously used by Mississippi State, which put up "Welcome to Our State" billboards in 2010. N.C. State co-opted the idea before the 2012 football season, after it had beaten UNC five consecutive years.

When the first "This is Our State" billboards went up around the state in the spring of 2012, UNC running back Gio Bernard promised on Twitter to take that "junk" down.

Bernard's 74-yard punt return in the final seconds of the Tar Heels' 43-35 win in 2012 ended the Wolfpack's winning streak and sowed the seeds for the end of the marketing campaign.

Yow said it's still possible the slogan could be used in the future, sort of like a specialty helmet or uniform.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/...#storylink=cpy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

How clever : "ARRRRR State"***

Jun 5, 2014, 2:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are in a state of defeat, so I see no prob with it.***

Jun 5, 2014, 2:57 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does she continue to be employed?

Jun 5, 2014, 3:06 PM

Ran the UMD athletics into the ground and into deficit, causing them to run to Big 10 for bailout, she bungles her way into NC St. Now they seem to be moving backwards.

Re: How does she continue to be employed?

Jun 5, 2014, 3:17 PM

She's not maintaining this level of employment because of job performance OR references from Gary Williams

I can only assume its at least partially because her sister's name is/was legendary around that campus

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yow what a failure. Hey why not

Jun 5, 2014, 4:19 PM

retire the creepy hand gesture too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Living in the Triangle...

Jun 5, 2014, 5:10 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious. They were raked over the coals around here for stealing that slogan. The article neglects to mention that they copied ECU's logo (state of NC with pirate in the middle) as part of the campaign and put up the same logo with the Wolfpack head on the 50 yard line. They did this against UNC and rubbed it in their face about it being THEIR state. Also had billboards at the UNC Chapel Hill exit on I-40 with this campaign. Yow knew this was done to to jab at the other schools. UNC danced on that logo after they beat them at Carter Finley.

NC State may not be South Carolina, but for these parts, they are of the same cut. The fans, arrogance and reside in Fantasyland. Yow is a joke.

I feel like NC State was on par with us for a long period...

Jun 5, 2014, 5:26 PM

in the 80s & 90s. We usually had a better team in the 80s, but they would find a way to ruin a season. That rivalry kind of went both ways.

Thankfully those days seem to be over.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget this gem either

Jun 5, 2014, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Living in the Triangle... ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ol-YByE0BQ

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they plagiarized much more, they could get UNC degrees!***

Jun 5, 2014, 8:33 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it, Pups 3rd on my hate list behind Usuc and GT.***

Jun 5, 2014, 9:37 PM

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,543
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic