Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does GT only get at best 2-3 star prospects but yet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

How does GT only get at best 2-3 star prospects but yet

Jan 7, 2015, 11:49 AM

Always a contender in the ACC coastal every year and always gives teams like us and FSU trouble when playing them. Their recruiting is on the same level as wake forest yet they have had way more success than wake. Their fan base and coaches are average at best but it doesnt seem to matter. Is it the triple option? Is Paul Johnson great at developing his players? I don't know but i would really like to understand how this works out. If you look at their recruiting, it would seem they should be one of the bottom feeders in the ACC but this certainly isn't the case with GT. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaching and scheme***

Jan 7, 2015, 11:49 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Watch your Knees, bleed***

Jan 7, 2015, 11:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Lol that's true. Ever since Venables has been here

Jan 7, 2015, 12:04 PM

He has been very successful at teaching his players how to deal with cut blocks. I remember the GT game in 2013 and how many big hits our defense made. Even as good our defense was this year i didn't see them consistently crush an opponent like they did against GT that year. You should defintely go back and watch that game sometime and see our defense destroy GT players, i promise you will be impressed.

Re: How does GT only get at best 2-3 star prospects but yet

Jan 7, 2015, 12:05 PM

I think there's something to be said for those 2 and 3 star types. If you recruit enough of them with the right attitude, then you've got a bunch of potentially bright, hard-working, coachable kids on your team who play with a chip on their shoulder.

DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STARS

Jan 7, 2015, 12:06 PM

idjit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So a bunch of Tyler Grisham/Adam Humphries types?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: How does GT only get at best 2-3 star prospects but yet ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: So a bunch of Tyler Grisham/Adam Humphries types?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:17 PM

I ain sayin nuffin

Is Scrappy another word to describe said players?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: Is Scrappy another word to describe said players?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:25 PM

Real "bring your lunch pail to work every day" kind of guys. Real sure-handed and have a lot of awareness out there.

Re: Is Scrappy another word to describe said players?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:46 PM

especially the shorts juans, they have the biggest chips.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High Football IQ?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Scrappy another word to describe said players?*** ]

The coastal is a joke.

Jan 7, 2015, 12:07 PM

The coastal winner has had multiple losses in conference each of the last 3 years and GT has had 2 or fewer conference losses with CPJ only twice - 2009 and this year.

Year - Coastal Champ Losses - GT Conf Losses
2014 - 2 - 2
2013 - 2 - 3
2012 - 3 - 3
2011 - 1 - 3
2010 - 0 - 4
2009 - 1 - 1
2008 - 3 - 3

Also, GT has been terrible in bowl games since CPJ has been there with a 2-5 record and many of those being big losses. I personally think that CPJ and his option offense is good for 7-9 wins most years as the unconventionality of the offense is difficult to prepare for. And occasionally a good season like this year will occur when you have an uncharacteristically good quarterback. But even in those seasons, I think a good defense (especially one given time to prepare) will shut them down several times a year leading to good but not great seasons year in and year out.

Re: The coastal is a joke.

Jan 8, 2015, 1:07 PM

I see where you're going with this. The Atlantic has won 3 championships in a row now (probably should have been us this year). But the Coastal is just a lot more balanced that the Atlantic. Wake/Cuse are far and away the worst programs in the conference. BC and State are getting better, but have been pretty miserable lately. And now you've got Clemson/FSU/Louisville as maybe the three best teams in the conference. You're going to have an 8-0 / 7-1 team come out of the Atlantic more often than not and a 6-2 team most years in the Coastal.

I actually looked up Paul Johnson's conference record trying to prove your point:

37-19 (.661) in regular season conference games over 7 seasons
22-15 (.594) against the Coastal (4-10 against Miami/VT)
15-4 (.789) against the Atlantic

So oddly enough he's actually been a lot more successful against the Atlantic. Only State (once) and us (3 times) have beaten him in a regular season game.

Jan 7, 2015, 12:09 PM

I think their QB saved them this year. The kid is fantastic IMO. He kept drives alive and scored at will most times. When PJ can get a QB who can RUN and THROW and is extremely fast, then PJ has hit a grand slam. Nah - PJ is not all that great at coaching, and GT usually loses bowl games due to teams having extra time to prepare. This year - the QB was just too darn good.

The cut blocks should be outlawed IMO - it's not much different than targeting as it can finish a player's career if he doesn't protect himself well enough. So - GT cheats as far as I am concerned. So does Wake.

Jan 7, 2015, 12:15 PM

Our game was a simple case of losing Watson early, Stoudt throwing two picks for TDs. Our defense still did a good job against them, holding them to 251, far below their average. Our offense cost us that game this year. Next year, will still be a tough game, but our weapons on offense are back. I feel we will get our revenge this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this your attempt to indirectly state the the usc fighting Jr's still have a chance?

Jan 7, 2015, 12:13 PM

Haha... dirty players. Complicated scheme to gameplan for, time of possession masters, hard workers, great in game adjusters, smart players.

Lot's of stuff that's pretty much out of the realm of possibility for for the coots to implement into their program.

Did that help?

Is this your attempt to indirectly state the the usc fighting Jr's still have a chance?

Jan 7, 2015, 12:13 PM

Haha... dirty players. Complicated scheme to gameplan for, time of possession masters, hard workers, great in game adjusters, smart players.

Lot's of stuff that's pretty much out of the realm of possibility for for the coots to implement into their program.

Did that help?

3 stars, just means the wuill redshirt

Jan 7, 2015, 12:15 PM

GT has a pretty good class this year. I think some get wowed by the stars and forget that stars just mean what year they will contribute once they get into college. A 5 star will start day 1 and only be there 3 years.A 4 star might contribute his freshman year, avoiding a redshirt and will be on campus 3-4 years. A 2-3 star will redshirt, be on campus 5 years,contributing his last 3 years on campus.

http://georgiatech.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

offense is simple. doesn't require a lot of talent.

Jan 7, 2015, 12:16 PM

oline isn't pass blocking. . And they dont have to push blocks down field. All they need to do the majority of the time is dive for some ones knees and slow them down for half a second. Receivers need to run into some one.

If he can scrape a good defense together he does well. If not, he finishes with a good offense and mediocre record.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Rating prospects isn't what it is cracked up to be.***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:18 PM

PJ's scheme is very effective when he has the QB to run it***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Walt, is that you?***

Jan 7, 2015, 12:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2015, 12:28 PM

As much as I dislike GT and Coach Paul Johnson, he is not an average coach. He knows exactly what he is doing, and develops players that fit his scheme rather than using a ton of resources on recruiting blue chip players. Their philosophy is to get athletes that completely buy into his system and specialize in a specific range of skills (run-oriented QBs, blocking WRs, A-back and B-back positions) rather than master every skill associated with a position. When it doesn't work, it fails miserably and there is very little if any opportunity to adjust in medias res. When it works, it works very well for 3 reasons: 1. the players know exactly what they are doing within the system. There is no freelancing with Coach Johnson. They are developed to run his system to a t. 2. opposing defenses don't have enough time in the middle of the season to dissect GT's offense, and 3. balance. The best GT offenses have had ridiculously talented WRs that are big, fast, and physical--Megatron, Demaryius Thomas, Stephen Hill.
It also doesn't hurt that GT seems to churn out a top-level Dlineman year after year, but they don't typically field very talented defenses.
I was really hoping GT would crash and burn again this season and Coach Johnson would be fired. No such luck. Looks like we're stuck having to play the triple option at least once a year for the foreseeable future.

It never made since to me either...especially playing them

Jan 7, 2015, 12:41 PM

in Atlanta.

I know Paul Johnson is an easy target

Jan 7, 2015, 12:44 PM

but he is a pretty good coach. They cant ever seem to put it all together but he has won 2 national titles (1-AA), took Navy to several bowl games (really built that program back up) and has had a few really good years at GT.

One thing seldom mentioned is the jackets ability

Jan 7, 2015, 4:21 PM

to recruit/develop/keep interior linemen....OG's and a center....and they seem to be vital in that scheme...since they don't have to pass protect a lot, they seem to be guys who are a lot more athletic and well-schooled in run blocking up the middle and on pulling to the outside

Plus IMO, GaTech regularly has some standout individuals on defense...their defense rarely hits the Top 5 as a team, but they seem to have an LB, or a CB or a DL drafted pretty high with regularity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your first answer is the best one. Coaching and scheme.

Jan 8, 2015, 1:11 PM

Paul Johnson is a coaching genius. The system is clearly set up against his style, but this season proved his system can work.

I have to eat crow on this one. I predicted his system would never lead to a major bowl victory and that Georgia Tech would be on a steady decline after his 4th year.

I was totally wrong. Still, we will beat them by double digits in 2015.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your first answer is the best one. Coaching and scheme.

Jan 8, 2015, 2:35 PM

I think you were right from the beginning...

His system only seems to work every 2-3 season...it seems because he keeps his offensive players in his system longer...they gain experience, and they become successful...Either next season or after they will decline again for a few seasons and jump right back up once these recruits or youngins gain experience...

From this past season:

Out of PJ's 9 RBs (AB & BB) 7 of them are Redshirt Seniors
Out of PJ's 5 WRs: 3 of them are Seniors
OL is rather young so that is good news for them...they only have 1 senior, 2 juniors, and 2 Soph

Defensively:

4 out of their 11 starters were Seniors with 2 being Redshirt Seniors

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I would think GT has a higher academic standard, right?

Jan 8, 2015, 2:04 PM

Or do they have super easy classes for their athletes?

I'd imagine many of their players are pretty #### smart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Jan 8, 2015, 2:25 PM

Easy..

Look how many Redshirt Seniors they have on both sides of the ball this year...more in particular, the offensive side...If you can keep guys in your system for 4-5 seasons, its amazing what the results are...in the end, you will essentiall have 23-24 year old men going up against 18-20 year olds...experience is a virtue...look at our defense this past season...

That and a little bit of diving at the legs of defenders upon the snap of the ball...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Because fans pay attention to stars rather than the "grade"

Jan 8, 2015, 3:05 PM

A 75 to 79 graded player is still technically a 3 star player, where as a mere 80 is a 4 star. Not much a real difference sometimes.

Plus, GT has been pulling in farily consistent 70-79 rated players (3 stars) plus some 4 star players. They have been recruiting a little better than the fans and the analysts interpret
on paper.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic