Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does Clemson play in Atlanta you ask?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

How does Clemson play in Atlanta you ask?

Nov 18, 2019, 10:50 AM

1. Obviously, if Clemson is ranked #1, that's the easiest path. That requires Ohio St and LSU to both lose. Possible. Not super likely for them both to lose.

2. UGA beats LSU and gets the #4 seed. Ohio St would not choose to play UGA in ATL. Now, if LSU were #4, I'm not sure what Ohio St would do. I would think they would choose ATL in every scenario except UGA.

3. Clemson somehow drops to #4. I'm not really sure how Clemson could drop to #4, but it would probably all but lock up a spot in ATL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does Clemson play in Atlanta you ask?

Nov 18, 2019, 10:53 AM

Why would the number one seed want to play the Tigers in Atlanta (your option 3)?

LSU will want to play in ATL regardless of opponent and

Nov 18, 2019, 10:56 AM

Ohio St will want to play in ATL for most opponents. I can't imagine Ohio St wants to play Clemson again in Phoenix, but I guess that is mildly possible.

I think people forget that Ohio is east of Atlanta. They prefer to stay on east coast.

Ohio State loves Phoenix

Nov 18, 2019, 11:07 AM

They have a lot of alumni out in that area and fill it up every time they go there

Nov 18, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: How does Clemson play in Atlanta you ask? ]

I feel like a broken record, but I would like to point out this year, like every year previous since the CFP has been instituted, that the number one team does not “pick” where they want to play. They have no say in it whatsoever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 11:45 AM

Thank you. This narrative gets maddening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: How does Clemson play in Atlanta you ask? ]

Not that these sources can’t be wrong, but they sound pretty definitive that the 1 seed will be protected from road environments.

The four-team format pits the No. 1-ranked team against No. 4 and No. 2 against No. 3. The seeding determines the semifinal bowl game assigned to each matchup; the No. 1 seed chooses its bowl game to prevent it from playing in a "road" environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

The selection committee's goal will be to protect the top two seeds from playing in road environments in semifinal games. For instance, if Southern Cal was the No. 1 seed and LSU was the No. 4 in 2014, that semifinal could be played in the Rose Bowl but not the Sugar Bowl.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/24/college-football-playoff-questions-and-answers/2111419/

Plus, if we doubt these sources, we can use our own understanding of the last five years on how this worked. Although I would argue that the Sugar Bowl for Clemson v. Bama was not so fair to the No. 1 Clemson seed that year.

I read somewhere that Ohio State said if they're No. 1...

Nov 18, 2019, 10:53 AM

they would prefer to play in Phoenix.

Should that occur, Clemson would play in Atlanta.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

yeah that stadium was eat up

Nov 18, 2019, 11:14 AM

with osu bros in jerseys. Clemson fans were greatly outnumbered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

No doubt, but Ohio St also has a big base in ATL.

Nov 18, 2019, 11:34 AM

Ohio St will not be outnumbered by Clemson in ATL if that scenario happened. Would be a 50/50 split.

Bottom line, there's essentially no way Clemson can be #4 seed anyway. If we lose to SCar or the ACC Championship game, a modern day miracle would have to occur to get the #4 seed.

maybe if we barely beat SC and win a close one in the ACC title?***

Nov 18, 2019, 2:46 PM

Hmm

Nov 18, 2019, 11:39 AM

1) Not likely at all, but it is possible.

2) Cross this one off the list. UGA will be at least the 3 seed if they beat LSU. I see no way for them to get the 4.

3) The only way we get the 4 seed is if we lose to South Carolina and still backdoor our way in. We would need a lot of help in this situation - both mental help to recover from a loss to this SC team, and help from other teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, Utah, and maybe even Alabama losing. We would NOT want Georgia beating LSU in this scenario.

Nov 18, 2019, 12:38 PM

Again with this? Guys, the teams do not get to choose where they play. The committee decides.

Nov 18, 2019, 12:43 PM

Exactly. As number 1 in 2017, I seriously doubt Clemson would have “chosen” to play an sec team in New Orleans. The Rose Bowl would have been better.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We absolutely chose to play in New Orleans.

Nov 18, 2019, 2:07 PM

Just like Bama chose to play in Miami instead of Dallas against Oklahoma.

Dabo even chose to practice at Tulane or whatever instead of in the dome. That decision backfired because the weather was really bad.

Re: We absolutely chose to play in New Orleans.

Nov 18, 2019, 2:34 PM

No, we didn't choose. Part of the committee's role is to determine which teams play at which sites. We may have had some input at some point, but we don't get to choose.

Practice facility...yes, that was a choice.

Nov 18, 2019, 2:40 PM

Pretty sure Dabo specifically chose New Orleans, saying he would not force the Clemson fans into a longer trip out west.

Nov 18, 2019, 2:46 PM

We all know why he chose Sugar Bowl. He played there in 1992 with Bama. They also practiced at Tulane in 92. This was all nostalgia for Dabo. Who went to that game? It was basically a Bama home game. They were so loud.

If I had to guess, the Committee chooses and if the school

Nov 18, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: We absolutely chose to play in New Orleans. ]

AD mutually agrees then it is a deal. I do believe the #1 school gets some say if they are okay with the game location.

It's usually a pretty obvious choice, but Clemson did not

Nov 18, 2019, 2:58 PM

want to go out west in 2017. We absolutely gave the OK regarding New Orleans.

This is worded properly. The committee uses common sense, but Bama essentially chose Miami last year just like Clemson essentially chose New Orleans in 2017.

Nov 18, 2019, 2:56 PM

I like option 2 but I think UGA would end up #3. We would still end up in Atlanta. I’ve already looked at airline tickets fir AZ and they’re very expensive. Does this mean t should root for UGA? I hate them almost as much as SCAR.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic