Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A story out of Simpsonville; racist student on social media
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 467

A story out of Simpsonville; racist student on social media

May 2, 2019, 2:33 PM

Came across this one today and thought I would share on P&R because I'm a little torn on it.

Okay, obviously what the girl did was bad. The photo was her holding a gun and a sign that said, "We hang [n-words] for free." With a smiley face. Cause smiley faces always make it okay. The tone does appear to be a really, really, really, really stupid joke.

She took and posted the pic outside of school.

I'm having a hard time deciding if the school district is overstepping its bounds with trying to expel her, or if this is a legitimate case of threatening physical violence and thus she needs the hammer dropped on her.

Thoughts?

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/south-carolina/2019/05/01/hillcrest-high-school-sc-student-racist-snapchat-photo-recommended-expulsion/3640582002/?fbclid=IwAR1SFDOUcAky1bkMOmb2Z4a4GpHSVCZ58_xtrwTq7mXBQ1vTY8AhvQ2V-iQ

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

a) Dumber than a box of hammers.

May 2, 2019, 2:37 PM

b) Not sure what I agree or don't agree with, but jeez, schools have been imposing consequences on kids for stuff that happens outside of school since I was in high school and before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for speech though? or for crimes?***

May 2, 2019, 2:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Free speech stuff..........

May 2, 2019, 2:46 PM

I was in high school when Byrnes was going through a big deal about having a confederate soldier as their mascot and waving the confederate flag at their games. Guy I knew on the tennis team went to a match against Byrnes at a public park and put a big confederate flag on his car just to rub some salt in the wound......he got kicked off all sports teams for that school year.

One of our cheerleaders was hoorin' around with multiple football players, all on their own time....got kicked off cheerleading squad for setting bad moral example or something.

That's just off the top of my head. Not saying I agree with them...I'm just not saying that schools have a squeaky clean record on distinguishing between school hours and beyond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Free speech stuff..........

May 2, 2019, 2:56 PM

Your first example would fall under Morse v. Frederick, although I also assume you weren't in high school in 2007.

Your second one... does the First Amendment protect ya from being a hoe? I guess we could make the argument...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

did the football players get kicked off too?

May 2, 2019, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Free speech stuff.......... ]

or just high fives?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm willing to bet you can guess.***

May 2, 2019, 5:45 PM

she has first amendment rights - especially outside of

May 2, 2019, 2:38 PM

school.

Also, as an aside, if the race were reversed, no way a black student gets expelled for something that happens outside of school like that.

Well, not 100 percent.

May 2, 2019, 2:39 PM

Bethel v. Frasier would shut this down if she did it on school grounds; Morse v. Frederick if she was just at a school event.

Not sure how I feel about them policing it in this case. I don't know how well they could argue it's a legitimate threat, although certainly upon first look, it's threatening in nature.

Re: she has first amendment rights - especially outside of

May 2, 2019, 4:49 PM [ in reply to she has first amendment rights - especially outside of ]

school.

Also, as an aside, if the race were reversed, no way a black student gets expelled for something that happens outside of school like that.

You're racism is breathtaking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you separate between jokes and threats?

May 2, 2019, 2:42 PM

The school is making the correct decision. Probably even for her protection.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have a good answer for that.

May 2, 2019, 2:54 PM

Looking at the photo, it appears she was doing something really stupid that she thought was funny.

Can't that qualify as inciting violence against

May 2, 2019, 2:44 PM

a racial group? I have not seen the picture but from the description, any time a person simulates offering to kill another person (especially over something like race, gender, cultural identity, etc) I think that is a public matter that the school can choose to discipline.

Being racist and inciting violence are not the same thing. If someone makes a terroristic threat on Facebook, then the school better act. I realize that this was likely not serious, but the school should always treat it as such just to be safe.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she should have put it in a rap song and she'd be ok***

May 2, 2019, 2:45 PM

It's a good point. "Art" seems to be a way around laws like

May 2, 2019, 2:50 PM

this. That certainly makes for a tough discussion.

If a rapper is inciting violence against cops, then I think they could be liable in a relevant civil case.

I know law has to be based on logic... but I am starting with my intuition that the school should do something about this. Anyone who attends high school who is rapping about murdering white students should face the same justice. But a white girl (not in school) making songs about what was in her picture should be treated the same as a rapper talking about killing white folks.

I guess being in school is the variable. Weak, I know.

Re: It's a good point. "Art" seems to be a way around laws like

May 2, 2019, 2:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnvXAkMnx8

Violence can be a good deterrent to acting a fool.

May 2, 2019, 2:55 PM

### whoopings can make some people more civilized.

Though, mob mentality makes violence unreliable.

I think the village elders should decide.

Wait, where am I? I got lost.

Or a novel or a poem. Same thing.***

May 2, 2019, 6:16 PM [ in reply to she should have put it in a rap song and she'd be ok*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or a folk song or rock song.***

May 2, 2019, 6:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A story out of Simpsonville; racist student on social media

May 2, 2019, 4:48 PM

I don't think it should be different because she is a girl. Talking about violence toward anyone while holding a gun is dangerous and stupid. She should be expelled. She has a right to free speech but she doesn't have the right to scream fire in a crowded theater. Her aim, by her post was clearly directed at real people.

Given the horrific school shootings in the last few years it's not worth taking a risk.

Imagine if she's not expelled and opens up with that rifle at school the following week.

She's an idiot or dangerous or both. There is no room for that kind of "humor".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A story out of Simpsonville; racist student on social media

May 2, 2019, 5:35 PM

I would support being expelled.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 467
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic