Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You people ridiculing Dabo are ridiculous...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

You people ridiculing Dabo are ridiculous...

Aug 3, 2012, 11:12 PM

Dabo is not the one to blame here... Sammy is. Sammy messed up... Sammy got arrested... Sammy put his coach in a spot where he couldn't make a decision that everyone agreed upon... Sammy let his teammates down. Don't believe me? Just ask him!

You idiots blaming Dabo for suspending Sammy are probably the same people that ridiculed Spurrier for not suspending Garcia. I would much rather have a head coach that preaches and practices accountability with his players than one that lets the chickens run the coop (pun intended).

Well done Dabo. Thank you for running a model program, and I look forward to watching you and your team's success continue to grow here at Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great post***

Aug 3, 2012, 11:16 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it would be impossible for me to agree with you more...***

Aug 3, 2012, 11:18 PM

thank you for bringing sanity to tigernet***

Aug 3, 2012, 11:19 PM

Calling people idiots = sanity

Aug 3, 2012, 11:21 PM

Ok

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

calling a spade what it is = sanity.

Aug 3, 2012, 11:23 PM

blaming Dabo for something Sammy did = idiocy.

Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. etc.***

Aug 3, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Calling people idiots = sanity ]

If the majority of people are insane then

Aug 3, 2012, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Calling people idiots = sanity ]

insanity = normal

Re: You people ridiculing Dabo are ridiculous...

Aug 3, 2012, 11:30 PM

Great post. I never want our program to get close to the point where players and other coaches aren't held accountable for their actions. I am happy that Dabo has the ba!!s to suspend a guy of Sammy's caliber to teach the team that no one is above the team. Sammy has been classy throughout the whole process as well and knows he messed up. I don't want football to be above life at Clemson. Football is huge, but not the end all.

Aug 4, 2012, 10:12 AM

I feel the same way. Dabo is a class act. If he keeps this up I'll have to change my username. The suspension was the right thing for Dabo to do. If there was no suspension it would have discredited the whole program. Thumbs up Dabo... You're the man.

no player is bigger than the program/team

Aug 3, 2012, 11:32 PM

dabo did the right thing suspending him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. Thank goodness Dabo doesn't base anything on

Aug 3, 2012, 11:34 PM

what idiots on here think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

No one has said Sammy shouldn't be suspended.

Aug 3, 2012, 11:43 PM

However, 2 games is overkill. The kid makes good grades, even made the deans list in the semester that just ended when he got arrested. Completed his PTI program which including counseling and 75 hours of community service, which would have been all you and I had to do to have our record exsponged, forgiven and fogotten. A law professor once told me, punishment is meant for adjudicate justice not to set an example.

Regardless of Dabo saying he doesn't care about the media, his decision to sit Sammy for 2 games is an overreaction to the pressure the media put on him. Perhaps Sammy should be benched for the Auburn game. We also don't need him to beat Ball St. So Sammy "accepts" his suspension. But to saw that 2 games in on the low side of his punishment given all he has done to fulfill his legal obligations, his accomplishments in the classroom and the over all positive things he has done off the field.

Simply put, the punishment does not fit the crime.

So you think it should have been

Aug 3, 2012, 11:49 PM

a one game suspension?

OK ... which game? Cherry picking a Ball State or Furman is BS. You have to punish in the next game, which would be Auburn. The 2nd game is an easy game that we should win without a few of our top players.

How bad was adding the 2nd game to the suspension?

Re: So you think it should have been

Aug 3, 2012, 11:56 PM

Sammy is a legitimate Heisman candidate. Perhaps the first WR to win the award as a sophomore. Sitting him the Ball St. game prevents him from getting valuable stats. Sitting him the Ball St. game in effect eliminates him from the running to win the Heisman.

The counter argument might be that sitting him from the Ball St game protects him from injury in a game that we don't need him to win. However, this argument doesn't hold in that he could just as easily get injured in practice.

Imagine a scenario where Clemson loses to Auburn by 3 points (sammy in the game is easily worth 3 pts) and then lose again to FSU. Dabo said tonight that if he listens to the media and the fans he would be sitting in the stands. Well losing 2 of your first 4 games and your only wins are Ball St and Furman but get you sitting in the stands as well.

Your response

Aug 4, 2012, 12:10 AM

has nothing to do with what Sammy did. Your argument is that Sammy shouldn't be punished too much because it could be bad for the team or could be bad for his opportunity to win awards. That is exactly why he should be punished. If we lose to Auburn by 1, I will believe that we would have won had Sammy been playing. I will not blame Dabo, I will blame Sammy. Sammy, being the smart, responsible kid that he is, will think the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Sammy on the team. He seems to be a GREAT kid who made a mistake. He will pay a reasonable price and move on, being an even better guy for it. I look forward to cheering him as a Tiger for (hopefully 4) years and then I will cheer for him in the NFL. I wish we had more kids like Sammy and I'm not meaning just becuase of his football talents.

What I am saying

Aug 4, 2012, 12:31 AM

What I am saying is that Sammy did get into legal trouble. He has fulfilled his legal obligation. He has also performed mightly as a Clemson student. So thus it has everything to do with Sammy Watkin the person and not Sammy Watkins the football player.

I am saying that since Sammy the person has fulfilled his obligations off the field and every report, except for the arrest itself, about Sammy the person off the field has been nothing but positive. Because of this I am saying he does not deserve a 2 game suspension and should be allowed to persue his personal goals of playing with the team and persuit of the Heisman trophy as a sophomore.

A Clemson student that is arrested for possession and completes PTI and is in good academic standing is allowed to continue to attend school, which Sammy is as well. However, that stutent would still be able to participate in intermural (sp?) sports or any other extra curricular activity.....band, cheerleader, club volleyball, concrete canoe, etc.

Again, the decision to suspend Sammy and the only reason that any coach suspends a player for a 1st offense misdemeanor is because of media pressure. Just like the legal system you can only do PTI once thus the 2nd offense is much more serious. Thus, that is the time Dabo should consider a more harsh punishment.

Re: What I am saying

Aug 4, 2012, 8:46 PM

One thing you can take to the bank is that our Head Coach is a man of conviction and purpose that is ABSOLUTELY not guided by media pressure. His moral compass and character come from a much higher power.

Re: So you think it should have been

Aug 4, 2012, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: So you think it should have been ]

Its not about Sammy! Its about the team!!! Don't you people understand that?

Wow, I can't type tonight

Aug 3, 2012, 11:50 PM [ in reply to No one has said Sammy shouldn't be suspended. ]

to adjudicate

which included counseling

But to say that 2 games was the low end

^^ He gets it ^^

Aug 4, 2012, 12:09 AM [ in reply to No one has said Sammy shouldn't be suspended. ]

I don't think Dabo is being ridiculous, but I don't agree with his punishment of Sammy.

I really thought half a game and community service was enough to teach Sammy a lesson.

At this point, I honestly feel like Dabo did this not looking out for the best interest of Sammy or Clemson, but was looking after his own skin in how the media would react. Dabo is often criticized by the media for the comments he's made (e.g. post win against Auburn, the ole ball sack rebuttal). So maybe we're seeing Dabo trying to transform himself from a "player's coach" to something else?

OK, then ...

Aug 4, 2012, 12:14 AM

exactly how would punishment of 2 quarters teach a lesson? What has Sammy lost? 2 quarters lost should not impact his statistics much over a season. Is he going to feel that bad sitting on the sideline for the first half knowing he will get a chance to play in the 2nd?

Then his comment at the outing

Aug 4, 2012, 12:36 AM

should have been, "Sammy knows what he has to do. At thsi time I am not prepared to discuss his punishment. I will let the media no at the appropriate time".

What he said at the in July is not coach speak, he did not say, "Man, have you seen Poop Scub U's punter, he might be the best in the country". That is coach speak.

Your law professor was dealing with an entirely different...

Aug 4, 2012, 10:03 AM [ in reply to No one has said Sammy shouldn't be suspended. ]

issue. But before we move to that I'd just like to say that horse thieves were hanged in the city square. Folks came and brought their children to public hangings. Lawyers and judges have evolved but the impact of the repercussion of breaking laws on the human mind have not. That has nothing to do with the Sammy story.

Sammy's story is about chastisement. Chastisement is done of love not justice. Neither lawyers nor courts are concerned with chastisement. Neither, by station, are qualified to comment from a professional position on chastisement. I impeach your witness and testimony.

You are welcome to compare the definitions of both terms and explore their differences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2012, 11:54 PM

My only problem is his statement that Sammy might play in Atlanta when he knew there was no chance.

I agree

Aug 4, 2012, 12:00 AM

He announced at the gold outing that Sammy could very well play against Auburn, but now says that he had told Sammy from the beginning that 2 games would be the low end. Whether he was lying then or is lying now makes no difference because either way it still makes him a liar!

Have you ever heard of Coach Speak ...

Aug 4, 2012, 12:17 AM

Maybe he wasn't sure when he wanted to provide details to the media of the punishment ... maybe he wanted to let Auburn think it was possible for him to play so that they would utilize time in practices planning for Sammy ... maybe 100 other things ...

Oop, coach speak response on your other comment above^^^^***

Aug 4, 2012, 12:38 AM

well said

Aug 4, 2012, 12:02 AM

I'm proud of Dabo, his team, and Sammy! Go Tigers!

thanks for the great post!

Aug 20, 2018, 5:57 AM

this should flush out the coots and their coot sympathizers so I can drop the ignore hammer on em.

63-17

Aug 4, 2012, 12:06 AM

While I agree that ultimately it's the player that commits the sin, and so it's the player that must be held accountable...

IMO, rules that are to be followed must be simple and straight-forward, to be the most effective. You mess up, you get punished. And the punishment is fair and equitable across the board, whether it's some star of the team, or a 4th team scout-team player or walk-on.

That's the only way for school authorities (read: coaches) to be respected, and the rules to be heeded.

And so too, when the player messes up, he needs to be punished in a simple and straight-forward manner, in keeping with those rules. Why Swinney waited, and waited, and waited is unexplainable. IMO, it helped turn what should've been a quick resolution into a 2-month circus drama. Swinney prevented the CU FB program from moving on past this and preparing for the 1st 2 games without Watkins, because he wouldn't come to a swift conclusion.

So yes, blame Watkins for having to be punished. But also blame Swinney for turning this punishment into a drawn-out drama and annoyance. Now, FINALLY, everyone can start moving past this and focus on the football season.....

How do we know

Aug 4, 2012, 12:21 AM

that the Clemson football team wasn't able to move past this. What effect did it have on them and how would it have been different had the punishment been handed down after 2 days?

redicoulosity.... redic dic dic tic tic nm

Aug 4, 2012, 12:10 AM

Nm

Aug 4, 2012, 12:24 AM

WELL SAID, thanks

To you people praising Dabo as a disciplinarian, I saw

Aug 4, 2012, 12:46 AM

Dabo the kowtower. He kowtows to the media. He kowtows to pervasive threads on tigernet. He even kowtows to Bart "never"Wright.

I am not a Dabo hater. In fact I met Dabo for the first time before he was even an assistant coach at Clemson. I happen to be friends with his childhood (and still best friends) friend from Alabama. I was actually sitting with Dabo's wife in 2008 at the SC game and the crowd was chanting Dabo's name.

I have probably been one of the biggest Dabo homers over the past 3.5 years.

With that being said, he got it wrong this time!

^^^^Dang it...say, not saw***

Aug 4, 2012, 12:47 AM

Someone's always disappointed

Aug 4, 2012, 12:51 AM [ in reply to To you people praising Dabo as a disciplinarian, I saw ]

If he did too much, there's people like yourself to say he was wrong.

If he had done nothing, others would have told him he did THAT wrong.

There had to be punishment. Dabo knows the situation better than us, and has a grasp of more of the variables than we do.

Clemson

Dabo had the right to use a lot if latitude BUT

Aug 4, 2012, 12:50 AM

1. I don't understand the comment that Sammy could play against Auburn but now the minimum punishment is 2 full games?
2. IMO 2 full games in an over reaction. You are severely punishing for getting caught, not what he did.
3. Too severe for a first offense of ANY kind. I would get it if he had done anything to screw up before but he hasn't.
Sorry but I think Dabo went overboard.

AGREED!

Aug 4, 2012, 3:43 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12557992#12557992

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2012, 7:03 AM

You people ridiculing people ridiculing Dabo are ridiculous.

Some dummies care more

Aug 4, 2012, 7:45 AM

about a football game than the right thing to do. I love football with all my being but it's not the most important thing in life.

the right thing to do?

Aug 4, 2012, 9:40 AM

The right thing to do was the legal system. So if you were arrested and were able to apply for PTI and you completed the program and were released, you are telling me that you should then incur additional penalties? I am referring to you and not Sammy.

Football is the only thing in life...

Aug 4, 2012, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Some dummies care more ]

after you get past God and family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2012, 9:50 AM

But he's not a student athlete (referring to the guy orangeblood was talking to)... believe it or not, they're held to different standards. I hate the coots as much as the next but you can't tell me orangeblood that if a dirt ###### had a 1 game suspension for the same crime you'd be satisfied. You'd be calling for his head! Bravo Dabo!

Message was edited by: cofcclem®

Aug 4, 2012, 10:08 AM

Well said! Nothing wrong with the suspension - and things will work out for us in the end. Sammy will only be a better person and player for accepting this without stomping his feet.

its refreshing

Aug 4, 2012, 10:44 AM

to read something like this on tigernet! and i have much more respect for Dabo now. that said, you guys should still beat auburn. also, i can understand from a clemson view how people could have a problem with our latest garcia moment. honestly, i have a problem with it. but in reality, the kid isnt going to see playing time anyway the first couple of games.

no one knows what to expect with auburn. if they come out playing old school smash mouth football, i can see that giving some issue. but you guys have too much talent not to beat them. the season is right around the corner and heres to both instate schools being 11-0 in late November! I HATE AUGUST!!!!!!!!! COME ONE CF!!!!!!!! and GO #####!

100% Correct. Sammy did it and Sammy must pay the

Aug 4, 2012, 4:19 PM

Piper.Some people don't want kids to ever get into trouble unless they play for another team.

Aug 4, 2012, 5:24 PM

Couldn't have said it better....as per my earlier post.

I think you mean reticules***

Aug 4, 2012, 9:02 PM

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic