Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How do we defend ...... Just worrying.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,279

How do we defend ...... Just worrying.

Nov 30, 2015, 9:35 AM

Three major areas of concern for us lately are also strengths of UNC - not sure what we will cook up - but we have struggled with them for several weeks.

1. Mobile running QB. We have really let them eat us up lately. (Cuse, SC, ND)
2. Good running back up the middle breaking long runs.
3. Quick slants over the middle.

All three have resulted in major number of big plays. We seem to be feast or famine on defense. Compared to other top teams - we sure do allow more big plays. I wonder if the D has deteriorated - or we had rose colored glasses on?

I like our corners against them.
I like our def line.

Do we take out a backer and add a nickel back to spy on QB? Maybe have Kearse - as he has size and speed to run down their QB?

Unfortunately, I married a tar heel. Having to deal with the bs during basketball season is bad enough - I really want to punish the heels for even thinking they can play with the Tigers.

Go tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever we did against MIami, do it again.***

Nov 30, 2015, 9:36 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do we defend ...... Just worrying.

Nov 30, 2015, 9:39 AM

We are mirror images of each other (Clemson and UNC) the only difference is talent and ability at certain positions.
We have a far superior QB
They have a better RB corps
OL is a push or maybe UNC lean
WR/TEs are better for us
DL better for us
LB probably them or push
Secondary is better for us
Special teams decidedly in their favor because of Switzer... Our FG is strong though.

38-31 Clemson.

FTFY

Nov 30, 2015, 9:49 AM

> We are mirror images of each other (Clemson and UNC)
> the only difference is talent and ability at certain
> positions.
> We have a far superior QB
> We have a better RB corps
> OL is a push or maybe UNC lean
> WR/TEs are better for us
> DL better for us
> LB probably them or push
> Secondary is better for us
> Special teams decidedly in their favor because of
> Switzer... Our FG is strong though.
>
> 45-31 Clemson.

Don't really remember the ND QB being all that mobile

Nov 30, 2015, 9:39 AM

He may have had a few runs, but I don't remember that being a large part of their game. Cuse and SC had decent runs, but I think poor tackling had more to do with SCs runs.

Dalvin Cook had two great runs against us....but that was is, iirc. I think we've shut all other RBs down on the run

Slants are a bit of a problem, and coverage against RBs I include in that. I'm not sure how much Hood catches out of the backfield, so not sure how often they do that.

Clemson

Re: Don't really remember the ND QB being all that mobile

Nov 30, 2015, 9:44 AM

Would love to see Dorian o'Daniel play more I think he has more range as a linebacker. If we play discipline and generate pressure with our front 4 we will win. No time for turnovers either. Showtime now.

VT was able to stay with them...

Nov 30, 2015, 9:47 AM

and held their power-packed offense to 30 points. VT is a mediocre team. Pitt and UVA, two other mediocre teams, held them to UNDER 30 points. Granted that was earlier in the season, but not all that long ago.

UNC has weapons, but they are by no means invincible. If we temper aggressiveness with discipline, we have the talent and team speed to stop these guys enough times to outscore them. Cut out the stupid fumbles and we will do that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2015, 10:15 AM

Fine to speculate. More power to you all. But, Venables has been part of what is it, 15 wins in a row now? I think he knows what he's doing. Let him prepare for the game and earn the big bucks. I have full confidence that he'll put us in the best position to win. I think we do win. None of you did, but some folks pick on Boulware for being out of position, etc. Remember, BV is the one who knows more intimately his defense, their strengths/weaknesses, where they are at as far as ability to perform, watches tape, etc. etc. I say trust his judgment. Let's pull for our coaches and our players. Go Tigers!!

And, to the comment of "compared to other top teams, we sure do allow more big plays". Sure, but compared to other top teams, we are undefeated, and they are not.

Go Tigers!! Let's win this game and get you boys a couple of days of R & R and be back to 100% by playoffs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC Has Not Played a Defense Yet With Our Caliber

Nov 30, 2015, 10:37 AM

of Talent. With Discipline There is No Better Defense In The Nation. As Long As Our D Plays The Way They Are Coached UNC Will Slowly Fall Behind. Turnovers And More Than 1 Freebie TD And This Game Gets Interesting. We Could Really Use a Pick 6 Early to Make Me Breathe Easier.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2015, 10:41 AM

Listen, all Clemson has to do is play their role on defense.. The linebackers (mainly Ben) need to stop over pursuing and play their gap.. The linemen are playing lights out, the secondary is playing lights out vs the pass. Against the run however, the secondary is outta position most of the time and not playing their gaps.. Just like BV said "leverage" it's an easy fix.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,279
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic