Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How did this team turn it on so suddenly?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 3,512

How did this team turn it on so suddenly?

Jan 13, 2016, 11:04 PM

This 4 game win streak came from nowhere. We were getting blasted by Georgia not that long ago, showing no signs of a pulse. Then a pretty decent performance in Chapel Hill and now 4 straight wins over FSU, Syracuse, Louisville and Duke. It's like a completely different team now

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did this team turn it on so suddenly?

Jan 13, 2016, 11:11 PM

Defense, effort, defense, and defense.

The Oculus switches powers to bball on Jan 1.***

Jan 14, 2016, 1:45 PM

Jan 13, 2016, 11:11 PM

Lots of reasons. Better recruiting. Time in the program. Players believing in the coaches. Good coaching. Players who can absorb teaching. Kind of a perfect storm. If we beat Miami, hang on!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it either.

Jan 13, 2016, 11:14 PM

This team looked awful. The last few games they've looked about as good as at any time since Brownell came in. Why the wild swing? It's an almost Bowdenesque job-saving transformation. I sure hope it continues and the earlier mediocrity turns out to be an inexplicable aberration. This twilight zone Jekyll and Hyde stuff is just weird.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep I was just thinking this is comparable to 2003 football

Jan 13, 2016, 11:21 PM

obviously a ton more season to go though. We could slip back into pre-ACC mode or we could continue. Who knows

No, they have looked as good as we have EVER looked...Back

Jan 13, 2016, 11:22 PM [ in reply to I don't get it either. ]

to back ranked wins for the first time in over 2 decades

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't get it either.

Jan 14, 2016, 1:28 AM [ in reply to I don't get it either. ]

You don't get it?

Really?

Maybe the most perplexing thing I have seen ...

Jan 13, 2016, 11:16 PM

in my history of watching CU basketball.

Is it legit optimism or other teams underestimating us? Who knows?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they had a come to Jesus

Jan 13, 2016, 11:21 PM

or they figured out their mojo. That said, we have been doing this the last couple years. Brownell tends to ramp up a little once ACC play starts. Maybe it takes him a little time to find the right buttons with each team. Who knows, but glad to see it.

Re: Maybe they had a come to Jesus

Jan 14, 2016, 5:23 PM

I honestly think CB was ticked off with losses to UMass, Bama and USC, all winnable games! He got the team thru exams and I suspect had a blunt conversation with the upper class players, especially after the horrid UGa. loss. Over Christmas each player likely recognized the NCAA was lost unless the team turned matters around. Playing in Greenville also prove positive as a new audience is involved in support.

Whatever keep up the solid play!

Go Tigers!

Re: Maybe the most perplexing thing I have seen ...

Jan 14, 2016, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Maybe the most perplexing thing I have seen ... ]

It is sound defense, better shooters and experienced players/leaders with talented newcomers surrounding them.

Where are all the naysayers now?

Now Clemson will lose some more basketball games BC they rely heavily on outside shots and threes, perhaps to lesser opponents or so. Some game soon we will have a dip in production from the 3. This stretch of confidence building should help at that time of challenge.

Re: Maybe the most perplexing thing I have seen ...

Jan 14, 2016, 11:09 AM

I disagree with relying so heavily on the outside shot. Last night we only took 16 3's. We had just 6 makes (good percentage, just not a lot of volume) and still beat the #9 team in the country.

It's about defense.

It took some time for Avery to adjust , that's part of it,

Jan 13, 2016, 11:20 PM

Gabe as well

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, Avery is living up to his billing***

Jan 14, 2016, 12:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know, but I am loving it.**

Jan 14, 2016, 3:15 AM

nm

Re: Don't know, but I am loving it.**

Jan 14, 2016, 3:34 AM

The power of the Occulos has been redirected to the basketball team. It's the only logical explanation

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2016, 7:23 AM

A few reasons I believe. To start, the defense is playing well. They are playing "on a string" - meaning the help defense and off ball player positioning is much better. Avery is also jelling with the other players. The point guard position is key. I was saying during the tough times this year that we would get better as the season goes on for this reason. Also, we are gaining some confidence (shooting, defense, transition, etc). We just look like we are playing loose. It's nice to finally see. Go tigers!!

I can't explain it but I'm sure enjoying it***

Jan 14, 2016, 7:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 14, 2016, 8:50 AM

Maybe it's playing in Greenville. Move home court there

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Dabo can focus all his attention on coaching basketball

Jan 14, 2016, 8:54 AM

Now that the football season is over

Just my theory on the big turn around

Its the Zen classes and getting rid of the negative waves ..

Jan 14, 2016, 9:04 AM

Plus the big men have "got it" which in turn frees up everybody else to "do their thing". Defense has really come on since Christmas Vacation Ooooops I mean "Winter Break".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense without fouling

Jan 14, 2016, 9:13 AM

once they stopped the Dookies from raining 3's like they did in the first half (went from 7 of 14 to 4 of 11 from 4) {Dook took 14 3's in the first half and 12 2-point shots} they dominated the inside

as this article points out

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/13/second-half-offense-foul-trouble-cost-no-9-duke-at-clemson/

"And with the Tigers being one of the nation’s best at not sending opponents to the foul line (13th in defensive free throw rate), the visitors were unable to find many points from the charity stripe (2-for-7 FT) to make up for those scoring woes."

the Tigers are playing great D and not committing key fouls

according to this site, Tigers are #3/#4 in opponent FT attempts/makes

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-free-throws-attempted-per-game

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-free-throws-made-per-game

Supposedly a team only meeting after the UNC game.

Jan 14, 2016, 9:17 AM

Who knows. Enjoy it while it lasts, hopefully into March.

Re: Supposedly a team only meeting after the UNC game.

Jan 14, 2016, 11:08 AM

It was after the Georgia game.

Winning begets winning.***

Jan 14, 2016, 12:48 PM

GO TIGERS!!

Maybe somebody

Jan 14, 2016, 12:53 PM

pressed the Panic button?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Maybe somebody

Jan 14, 2016, 1:41 PM

JL brought in as a consultant by brownlee?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

There were a couple games earlier in the year

Jan 14, 2016, 1:09 PM

where they looked really, really good. I have no idea where it came from, but I am happy for them and Coach BB.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep in mind we lost to Minnesota

Jan 14, 2016, 1:38 PM

Who is now looking like by far the worst team in the Big Ten

Re: keep in mind we lost to Minnesota

Jan 14, 2016, 1:42 PM

Yea we really need Minn and UMass to turn their seasons around and finish strong. Right now those two losses are brutal on our RPI.

null

Re: keep in mind we lost to Minnesota

Jan 14, 2016, 1:43 PM

Yep, we're currently 102 according to lunardi.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

You are so wrong ClemTiger117

Jan 14, 2016, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: keep in mind we lost to Minnesota ]

The committee "forgives" early season poor performances IF a team performs well in Conference Play, beats several Ranked Teams (which we are doing so far) ... that is weighted much more then an early season poor performance There is an old saying, "its not how you start, its how you finish!" Just like you! you started off as just a pizza delivery guy ... now you take the pizza orders !

Re: You are so wrong ClemTiger117

Jan 14, 2016, 5:12 PM

You are a sad little troll that spends his time over here stirring the pot with asinine posts.

Congrats on being a loser.

A Clemson Basketball superfan like you try and claim to be would know how to spell NNoko and Djitte. He would also know how to spell Swinney

null

Your right, I do not spells gud ....

Jan 14, 2016, 7:31 PM

BUT, my UNCANNY predictions of the awesome Clemson Basketball victories cannot be denied AND, YES the low-possession, slow down game absolutely sucked last year

Chemistry and confidence.***

Jan 14, 2016, 5:29 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 3,512
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic