Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How can Texas get by with paying players?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,702

How can Texas get by with paying players?

Oct 22, 2014, 5:13 PM

They say they can do it thanks to some new legal decisions. I don't believe that article. It aint true unless ESPN reports it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Valid argument but in Fitzpatrick's defense, he is an

Oct 22, 2014, 5:18 PM

ivy league grad. Lotsa smarts, zero bawls

Re: Valid argument but in Fitzpatrick's defense, he is an

Oct 22, 2014, 5:30 PM

This sucks. It won't be long before every school will be doing it even if they can't afford it.

I was being silly sorry. Seriously though, there is no fair

Oct 22, 2014, 5:41 PM

way for any form of profit sharing, gross or net, to be given to any athlete. Only an increased stipend across the boards will work and keep it a fair game. One espn brain said that they could but have the players' earnings deferred until graduation with a diploma in hand. Still won't work.

If I'm the next Rod Furley and I'm banking on my jersey cut, then I'm headed straight to the largest boosters in the country. Speaking of Tx

The NCAA is now just a shell organization....

Oct 22, 2014, 5:31 PM

basically all their rules about "amateurism" have been ruled illegal in court.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can Texas get by with paying players?

Oct 22, 2014, 5:34 PM

And who ends up paying for all of this? The fans that are IPTAY members, fans that attend games because the cost of a game tickets and concessions are going to rise. Pricing most fans out of game.

Schools will just start dropping sports....

Oct 22, 2014, 5:47 PM

No more golf, rowing or possibly soccer and baseball for some schools.

Re: Schools will just start dropping sports....

Oct 22, 2014, 5:55 PM

But, wouldn't they in violation of title IX if they did that?

Oct 22, 2014, 6:15 PM

You just have to keep things equal among the men's and women's teams. Your men and women's basketball balance each other out, but you'll probably need to keep a couple of women's sports to make things even with football, like women's soccer & volleyball, but once you get the minimum you need for title IX, there's no reason to keep those other sports around.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Schools will just start dropping sports.... ]

Another win for the Lawyers and loss for America!

They have already started to price fans out of games...

Oct 22, 2014, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: How can Texas get by with paying players? ]

just notice the amount of visiting fans that sit in the South Lower Deck.

if this indeed gathers momentum at this $ level, look

Oct 22, 2014, 5:41 PM

for the beginning of the end of college FB that we love.

IMO....

Oct 22, 2014, 7:04 PM

Texas is taking some of the things that are already in play and available to most athletes and combining it into a "up to 10K" gimmick to peak interest and hype from players. This money is not included in scholarships at all and I would think most athletes or families know about it when talking about the scholarship.

It won't be given to then all at one time. Most students qualify for Pell grants which goes straight into their pocket. If they qualify for a pell grant, then they automatically qualify for $500 each year for clothing...all they have to do is show a receipt...not the clothes.

The NCAA already gives each school about $200,000 a year to use for "special assistance" Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund. If a player (not just football..any sport) needs money to pay for gas, more new clothes, or a plane ride home, they can legally get money for that.

There is already a Special Assistance Fund..this kind of fund has in the past been used to fly or give gas money to entire teams to go home for holidays.

After a player is given his "rent money" if living off campus and shares a house or apartment with others...more money in their pocket.

There are many more ways they athlete is already getting this money. The only thing that will be different is some of the non-revenue sports, but you bet your bottom dollar, this has already been covered by the higher ups at Tx

And what I think that players will only hear $10,000, they will not hear the "up to $10,000". Some will be in for a surprise.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,702
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic