Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell has recruited a "shooter" every year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Brownell has recruited a "shooter" every year

Mar 12, 2015, 5:41 PM

I see no problem with that philosophy.

Roper (inconsistent but streaky)
Rooks (best shooter on roster trying to get healthy)
DeVoe (will be deadly)

Bad luck with Rooks. If he isn't 100% and "caught up" by December, I suspect he will leave. DeVoe just gets better every time out. Shows flashes on both ends.

Supposedly Holmes is a good shooter. And the incoming pg is a slasher, who is ok shooter.

Grantham and JB will only get better from distance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell has recruited a "shooter" every year

Mar 12, 2015, 6:10 PM

Yeah I like jb and grantham. Both will be fine but can't be our only weapon. Bloss came on strong this year. Solid on both ends

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conversely, I think posts like this just show how desperate

Mar 12, 2015, 6:10 PM

we are for a good shooter. I doubt there's another fanbase in the country who's counting on their freshman guard who shot 27% from the field and scored 2.3 points per game to be their offensive savior.

Re: Brownell has recruited a "shooter" every year

Mar 12, 2015, 8:01 PM

Purnell needed a shooter and went out and got Oglesby. He didn't have a problem with diversity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

So Brownell is racist against white people?***

Mar 12, 2015, 8:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Brownell is racist against white people?***

Mar 13, 2015, 8:41 AM

This is a message board. You've got to expect a percentage of idiots. BB isn't a racist. The poster might have been trying to make a joke and not realized just how bad of a joke it was.

He may not be, but the poster did state a fact.***

Mar 15, 2015, 8:28 AM

Re: He may not be, but the poster did state a fact.***

Mar 15, 2015, 9:57 AM

We all know diversity is a one way street. If Brownell had 10 white players and zero black players
the race and diversity card would be front and center. Those are just the facts not a racist comment. Regardless, I wish we had one of those ND shooters. I don't care what color!

How bout a big man that has more than 5

Mar 12, 2015, 10:14 PM

Yrs exp. in organized ball!

Good big men with polish are rare and get scooped up

Mar 13, 2015, 8:30 AM

by the elite programs every year. Most lower tier cbb programs are forced to make do with raw athletes and projects.

Re: How bout a big man that has more than 5

Mar 13, 2015, 9:01 AM [ in reply to How bout a big man that has more than 5 ]

It's not like he hasn't recruited plenty of talented big men. He just hasn't signed them. After the first year or two under OP, Clemson hasn't been much of a force in B-Ball recruiting. Historically, that hasn't always been true, but it's been more of a problem since Rick Barnes left. I would love to find the magic bullet to help the BB program, but I just don't see it. Maybe it's fan support, but that turns into a chicken or egg scenario. When the team does well, the fans will come, but fan support definitely impacts recruiting, which impacts how well the team plays. Is it support from the administration? Do they have the facilities and budget they need to be successful? Sadly, the answer there might be two years away. It's almost like we're under a Miami like cloud while we're waiting for our new arena. Maybe that will be the impetus for renewed success.

I'm moderately optimistic next season, but an NIT bid and a couple more games would certainly help. DeVoe seemed to turn a corner late in the year, which is common. Getting some more experience while he's playing well could make all the difference. He'll likely be the guy at wing along with Roper, who's more of a combo guard than a true wing. Roper is undersized at wing, but it will be either DeVoe or two point guards, which might work on offense, but not as well on D.

Hudson is the kind of guard we've been trying to recruit and missing on. A starting 5 of Hudson, DeVoe, Nnoko, Blossongame, and Grantham could be pretty decent. Depth might be a challenge as it always has been, but Clemson's slower pace makes that less of an issue than it might be at other programs.

Coleman and Sapp as well***

Mar 13, 2015, 8:26 AM

The problem with our "shooters" is that none of them have

Mar 13, 2015, 8:37 AM

actually been able to shoot.

Roper was good his FR year but his last 2 seasons have been 32% and 30% from 3. That's nearer to bad than good.

Rooks shot just 32% in limited action this year. He's young and could improve, but that's not good either.

Devoe showed some flashes but shot a putrid 25% from behind the arc and 27% overall from the floor.

For comparison:

Mar 13, 2015, 8:47 AM

KC Rivers - 38.5% career 3pt shooter
Terrence Oglesby - 39.5%
Andre Young - 37.5%
Cliff Hammonds - 35% (not really even known as an outside shooter)

Here are some other guys that surprisingly shot as good or better than all of our current shooters:

David Potter - 33.8%
Demontez Stitt - 33.1%
Tanner Smith - 32.6%
Trevor Booker! - 32.4%

Re: For comparison:

Mar 13, 2015, 9:08 AM

I'm not sure the value of comparing guys on the current team who were generally more highly regarded coming out of high school than our current players. Several of those guys were all conference players and some went on to professional careers. Is it news to you that Demontez Stitt was a good shooter? Tanner Smith? If you watched them play, this wouldn't be news. What's also true is that they became better shooters as their careers went on.

BTW, when you're looking at 3 point percentages you should adjust for the extra points by dividing by 2 and multiplying by 3, which makes a 33.33% 3 point shooter the equivalent of a 50% shooter inside the arc.

I'm sorry but posts like this are annoying. What are you

Mar 13, 2015, 9:26 AM

trying to accomplish - to discredit my post by trying to look like you have superior basketball knowledge and followed the team more closely? I'm fully aware of what PPS is, but i don't see how it's relevant in my post.

Re: I'm sorry but posts like this are annoying. What are you

Mar 15, 2015, 8:16 AM

How about comparing those players % their 1st 2 years to our young guys. I am sure their % went up as they got older.

They're all shooters. Just not good "makers"***

Mar 13, 2015, 12:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We may just want to concentrate

Mar 15, 2015, 8:38 AM

on lay ups and put backs 3 feet and in. I'll bet we left 500 points on the floor missing easy shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

We may just want to concentrate

Mar 15, 2015, 8:39 AM

on lay ups and put backs 3 feet and in. I'll bet we left 500 points on the floor missing easy shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

If Hall could dunk, that would have been many more points up

Mar 15, 2015, 11:07 AM

there, as he could drive with power, just not finish very well unfortunately

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holmes has been well over 40% from 3 his two years

Mar 15, 2015, 2:09 PM

in college. He, along with JB and Donte will be the core of the team next year. A big leap by Devoe would be gravy

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic