Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Some "Experts" View National Rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,661

How Some "Experts" View National Rankings

Sep 23, 2019, 7:39 AM

It appears to me the trend among some so-called experts is to base their rankings on number of points a team scores. One "expert" was deeply impressed by Ohio State's average score per game. Now, that may be a bragging point for the local team but in no way is it a true measure of a team's strength compared to other teams. I believe I can overlook my "Clemson Bias" for just a few moments and introduce a fact or two that seems to escape some of these experts.

Fact No. 1: Dabo is not a coach who attempts to run up a score on an opponent. If the score is a high number, we can be assured some of those scores occurred when seldom played reserves were in the game.

Fact No. 2: These so-called experts are not aware or completely overlook the fact Dabo is more interested in developing talent for the long haul rather than keeping the starters and top reserves in a game to run up the score. Example: 111 players saw action on the playing field in the Charlotte game.

Fact No. 3: Dabo's philosophy is geared toward TEAM rather than padding a player's individual stats.

Fact No. 4: Coaches and voters in the two major polls appear to look at the overall picture in determining their rankings, confirming that Clemson is rightfully No. 1.

Fact No. 5: Football schedules are determined many years in advance of the actual game. No one can accurately predict how good or bad a team will be several years down the road. We play the games on our schedule and the results are the only things that matter. Our record in the Final Four is proof that Clemson was and continues to be a legitimate contender regardless of our schedule.

Fact No 6: Clemson is the envy of many football programs and people.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Social Media has ruined objectivity in the media

Sep 23, 2019, 7:58 AM

Bias starting creeping into sports media in the 2000s. But, when Twitter and Instagram took off a decade ago, media personalities were rewarded for 'engaging' their 'fans' and total number of followers. All of a sudden, it was more important to for a media personality to be controversial than correct and objective. They were rewarded for creating discussions so their positions changed from logical to controversial. The more ridiculous their statements, the more people 'engaged' with them on social media.

It's unfortunate, but the once respected media institutions have become a parody of themselves. As I don't see this trend reversing anytime soon, I've taken the position of ignoring the media (on all fronts, not just sports). When society rewards idiotic takes, all you get are idiotic takes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Social Media has ruined objectivity in the media

Sep 23, 2019, 8:28 AM

This has been going on a long time, at least between the SEC and ACC. Danny Ford's run of 10-2 seasons (plus one for Hatfield), including bowl wins against PSU, OU, Major Harris-led WVU one year removed from their Natty appearance, garnered us only middling respect, and I distinctly remember a Louisiana-based sports journalist (can't remember his name) saying outright that he'd never give a first-place vote to any ACC team. This was ca. 1990.

At that time, UGA was the most recent SEC national champion, and Alabama's under Gene Stallings was still two or three years away. So the SEC was hardly dominant.

Message was edited by: cuthbert®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Social Media has ruined objectivity in the media

Sep 23, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Social Media has ruined objectivity in the media ]

Bias has been in the sports media since there has been a sports media. Bias towards rankings, hiesman votes, you name it.

People get upset because Watson didn't win the Heisman, but there are even more deserving players through the years who lost out because of bias / group think

I think the so called "bias" used to be worse on the national stage when there were...what...three TV channels, a handful of sort of national papers, and the UPI / AP.

Media is actually a lot more democratised for better or worse these days. And with sports, other than box scores - it is all opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Some "Experts" View National Rankings

Sep 23, 2019, 8:01 AM

They have to go by something. They can't just give everyone the benifit of the doubt. Maybe they can just take our word for it? The good thing is, it doesn't matter what they think right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,661
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic