Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Far We've Come
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

How Far We've Come

Jul 16, 2016, 1:26 AM

I, unlike many of you, wasn’t born into Clemson. I’m from Massachusetts, and grew up absolutely adoring college football in an area which doesn’t really care about non-professional sports (just look at the attendance of BC games). I didn’t have a particular team which I followed, I just loved the sport…though if I’m being honest, before I went to Clemson I was always partial to the Georgia Bulldogs and Florida State Seminoles (sorry!). I guess I was attracted to the South because I knew you guys cared about college football as much as I did. I arrived on campus in the fall of 2004, and the football team had a nice preseason ranking (#15) and was considered a “program on the rise” under Tommy Bowden. The next four years, as you definitely know, were a roller coaster. We had incredible games, we had heartbreaking games. We lost to Duke on a 53 yard field goal, and Tommy somehow didn’t put Reggie Merriweather back in the game in 2006, despite 83,000 fans screaming for him from the top of their lungs. But we did manage to destroy Georgia Tech when we hosted College Gameday, and we beat South Carolina 3 out of 4 years.

I may have adopted Clemson, but since that first game I watched against Wake Forest, I loved the football program with all of my heart and have dreamt of it being the perennial power we deserve it to be. As a student, my friends hated Clemson because whenever I was home for vacation/summer, all I would do was talk Clemson football. But eventually they succumbed to Clemson’s draw. This past year, I was receiving nonstop text messages “this is amazing” “they’re incredible” “what a game!” “we’re going to win it all!”. When Tommy was let go in 2008, I knew it was the right move, but I was totally against permanently hiring the assistant coach known as Dabo. What a stupid name, right? How the hell is he going to bring us to the next level? We should be going after the big names like Gary Patterson & Will Muschamp! (dodged a bullet there, right?) I’m not sure I’ve ever been more happy to be wrong about something in my entire life. Dabo has done a magnificent job turning the Tigers from talented disappointments to a force to be reckoned with. Back when CJ Spiller shocked the world in 2006, we couldn’t fathom such an incredible talent deciding to come to us over a school like Florida. Now we expect to be in the running for players like him, and if we’re not it’s often because our staff has chosen not to pursue the player. Right now the consensus #1 recruit of 2018 has us in his final two, and the fact that we’ve come to this level of a program—regardless of whether he chooses us or not—is amazing.

In as short of a point I can make, I think the difference Dabo has made involves pride. Tommy was always standing in the shadow of his father’s gigantic legacy and he was scared to disappoint expectations…I think he coached that way & as a result his players played that way. Due to Dabo’s adversity-laced background, he’s happy as hell to be here, and is proud of his accomplishments…he coaches that way & as a result, his players play that way.

My drunken ramblings have a point: enjoy this. I’m an extremely critical person, and I critique our program nonstop (out of love), but we’re in an extremely enviable position at the moment and we need to enjoy it while it lasts. The job isn’t over until we hoist the national championship trophy (multiple preferred), but nothing is guaranteed, and while our goal is to win a natty, we can certainly enjoy the journey along the way. For so long, we’ve wanted a place at the big boys table, and now we’re there. Enjoy these years…want more, but enjoy what we’ve done. I can’t wait for the season to finally kick off.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Far We've Come

Jul 16, 2016, 1:32 AM

I enjoyed reading your post. Well said.
MfO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 1:33 AM

Thanks bud!

I feel more confident that you are not a coot. I have had my

Jul 16, 2016, 8:15 AM

suspicions....

Re: I feel more confident that you are not a coot. I have had my

Jul 16, 2016, 1:58 PM

Why? Because I'm critical? I may be a horribly wasteful loser, but I at least value my time enough not to not troll a rival's message board, pretending to be a fan of their team.

Jul 17, 2016, 2:15 AM

You're not a horrible wasteful loser. I enjoy a lot of your posts and believe you are a true Clemson Tiger fan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2016, 2:43 PM

thanks man! Glad to know I'm not suspected of being a South Carolina fan by everyone haha

Glad you came around, but as someone who went to ...

Jul 16, 2016, 2:51 AM

... games in the late 70s and 80s (as a little kid from Newberry).

Clemson had it going on before Spiller showed up.

I will admit that Spiller helped to resurrect us (love that kid, I'm 51 so I'm going to call Spiller a kid), but we had it going on in the 80s.

Dabo, love ya brother, I know you went to Bama, but I think you've discovered that there truly "there's something in these hills".

GO TIGERS!

Re: Glad you came around, but as someone who went to ...

Jul 16, 2016, 3:19 AM

Oh there's no doubt Clemson had something before Dabo arrived. The problem is the previous peak happened in the late 70s/early 80s.

While that was fantastic for many, many people, it doesn't necessarily resonate to those of us that were born in the 80s...and especially to those who weren't born in South Carolina/Georgia/North Carolina. We never heard the classic Clemson stories of yesterday. We learned about it once we arrived on campus, but for the most part, our impression was based on the last decade when it comes to football.

While Clemson certainly has a rich past, we need to recognize the accomplishments of Dabo today. He brought a great program from middling to elite, and he deserve all the accolades that go along with that.

No worries, it's all good ...

Jul 16, 2016, 3:31 AM

I know you didn't get to experience the 1981 UGA game (can't describe it, it was AWESOME) or other games in that time.

But, I'm loving what we have now. I'm nowhere near campus anymore, but I made GT, ACC championship, and national championship game last year. And they were all awesome, just we had had more time in national championship game.

Dabo has brought back the level of responsibility and play we all want and expect. And isn't that what it is all about? Be responsible for what you can control. I played a sport at a high level for a few years and the biggest thing I remember a coach saying is "the more we are all focused on the team, the less we all have to be focused on ourselves". Basically, he was saying if you play as a team it becomes so much easier. If you play as individuals, you will not have success. I've watched Dabo, he may not be some X's and O's genius, but that man knows how to make a group of individuals come together as a team.

GO TIGERS!

As a follow up, Clemson offensive line!

Jul 16, 2016, 3:41 AM

Keep #4 upright and stand and good things will follow!

Why is the narrative on Dabo that he doesn't

Jul 16, 2016, 8:22 AM [ in reply to No worries, it's all good ... ]

know the "Xs and Os" of football? It obviously isn't true, or he wouldn't have the sustained success that he has, and coaches wouldn't want to coach under him, which hasn't been the case.
I am kinda glad this myth keeps getting floated around, because it keeps other fan bases from demanding their universities to try and hire Dabo away. But, I'm always surprised when our own fans perpetuate this myth. Especially when we've seen that it's not true over and over.

In the immortal words of Aerosmith:

Jul 16, 2016, 5:40 AM

"You got to lose to know how to win".

I have loved the Clemson Tigers through some bad coaches, some bad teams and some pretty darn good years too. The game day atmosphere was special from my first game in the early 70's (when we were a pretty bad team), through the good times of the 80's and on through the Hatfield decline. But what is happening now is unprecedented. Dabo is one of a kind, and we are so lucky that such a special coach now coexists with such a special school and place. These ARE the good ol' days!

Go Tigers!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 6:39 AM

Very well said. Great post.

You sounded more coherent drunk than I do sober!

Exactly what I was thinking

Jul 16, 2016, 7:35 AM

GO TIGERS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jul 16, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: How Far We've Come ]

You should have seen me 20 minutes after I posted this...in order to see the computer screen I need to close one eye!

Jul 16, 2016, 8:06 AM

I understand completely where you're coming from I'm from the south, but grew up a coot. I chose to go to Clemson only because of academics. And it offered the major I wanted. I still lowned coot hats and sweatshirts when I started At Clemson. I cannot even tell you how quickly I was sucked in to the clemson family. Now I probably hate the coots more than most people. I have to listen to my family talk about them. Boy am I glad I came away from the Darkside

Well said. My personal opinion is that

Jul 16, 2016, 8:24 AM

Bowden achieved a level of success we hadn't seen in awhile and then plateaud. Agree I wasn't to sure how long Dabo would last. Turns out that it was the right decision for Clemson and Bowden to part ways and to hire Dabo. As others have mentioned, no longer a blip on the screen but of course relevant. The fact that Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee are chatting about is so much means that we are on their minds. Outside of usc devoted time we might have actually been talked about more than an sec school itself. Can't prove that . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well said. My personal opinion is that

Jul 16, 2016, 2:06 PM

It's like walking away from meth....there was no real joy in it to begin with, but it was an involuntary part of your life. Now you get the benefits of not calling yourself a "####", watching a winning team, and not relying on an "SEC" chant for happiness. Sounds like a net positive to me!

Re: Well said. My personal opinion is that

Jul 17, 2016, 1:08 PM

Whoops, just realized I replied to the wrong person...my post was intended for cdixon, above

Great post. We should have had the #1 last year too***

Jul 16, 2016, 8:29 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

For a drunken rambling,

Jul 16, 2016, 8:48 AM

that's a real solid post. +1. Enjoy the ride.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jul 16, 2016, 8:49 AM

My story is similar to yours (a Northeasterner who loved CFB when no one around here cares about it at all) except I have you beat in one area... The Tigers NEVER lost to the coots during my matriculation (1997-2001)!! I just always assumed we would beat them every year until the rest of ever :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 9:25 AM

I promise not to tell the STS crowd you've been over here pumping sunshine.

Jul 16, 2016, 2:11 PM

Thank you. I'm not sure they would have received this as well as TigerNet. Now that I'm hungover & miserable, I'm going to go over there & talk #### about Joey Batson

Very well put

Jul 16, 2016, 10:58 AM

TU, Go Tigers!

The good old days are NOW!***

Jul 17, 2016, 12:10 PM

Jul 18, 2016, 2:08 PM

> My drunken ramblings have a point: enjoy this. I’m <
> an extremely critical person, and I critique our <
> program nonstop (out of love) <

I THOUGHT I smelled a coot!!

haha - jk - great post and good read tmac9wr! Seems like there should be more than just POTD? This may just carry the month!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic