Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Do You Expect BV to Defend Against NCSU Short Pass Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

How Do You Expect BV to Defend Against NCSU Short Pass Game

Oct 19, 2018, 1:20 PM

1) Man Coverage w/Assortment of Blitzes
2) Zone Coverage and make Finley grind out 4 yards a pop, playing to protect Redzone
3) Other

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

flamethrower

Oct 19, 2018, 1:21 PM

riot batons

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: How Do You Expect BV to Defend Against NCSU Short Pass Game

Oct 19, 2018, 1:21 PM

diligently.

Is that right??? tell me if I got it right

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2018, 1:22 PM

hurling pewp would be my second guess.

I’m not going

Oct 19, 2018, 1:32 PM

To answer that question because I’m sure that DD reads tnet looking for advice and hints and I really don’t feel comfortable giving away our secrets to the enemy. Not that he could do anything about it if he knew!

Oct 19, 2018, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: How Do You Expect BV to Defend Against NCSU Short Pass Game ]

I’m not going to answer that question because I’m sure coach DD reads tnet daily looking for clues and I wouldn’t feel comfortable giving away Dabos plans. Not that DD could do anything about it even if he knew in advance!

Oct 19, 2018, 1:36 PM

Ooops i don’t know what happened there!!!! Sorry

Oct 19, 2018, 10:14 PM

I understood the first version better. So will DD probably.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2018, 1:32 PM

You mean someone in the ACC has more yards per attempt than NC State (in short passing game)? I think not.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/id/1/acc-conference

Oct 19, 2018, 1:36 PM

Hit the Q.B. And Hit him often. Get him on his back, but noting dirty!

Oct 19, 2018, 2:28 PM

Short game negates pass rush, but passing lanes can be taken away. They will not be able to run, so early downs will be short game. D-line will need to get their hands up, get them behind the chains and then bring the heat!

press man with extra pressure

Oct 19, 2018, 2:31 PM

To make sure we don't get burned deep.

I would like to see us get a more consistent rush on Finley this year, we will need to take away the quick game.

Re: press man with extra pressure

Oct 19, 2018, 3:15 PM

^^^This sounds like the best plan to me. Press man might be the only way to make Finley hold the ball long enough for our DLine to get to him. He's quick, so it's gonna be bang-bang action trying to stop Finley from skewering our secondary. Not sure how we can cover on those stop-and-go plays though. Hard to defend the short stuff, knowing they can burn you deep.

This is going to be the best chess match of the season.

Re: press man with extra pressure

Oct 19, 2018, 10:23 PM

Punish their receivers at line of scrimage

Oct 19, 2018, 2:37 PM

disguise blitzes, drop ends into coverage, scrabble Finley's grouch. Typical stuff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2018, 2:52 PM

Send XT on a mission from hail every play...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

XT is the correct answer

Oct 19, 2018, 10:08 PM

Oct 19, 2018, 3:21 PM

He will mix things up until he finds something that works. Would not be surprised at all with some linebackers blitzing with a D-Lineman or two dropping back to fill the short passing lanes.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2018, 9:35 PM

Press-man can be pretty risky given our safetys' history of blown coverages, but i do think that's how we will defend most snaps in this game.

I just don't know that we start the game that way.

Dabo might want to make Finley and his gang earn the first TD with a 15-play drive, throwing into zone coverage and forcing the Pack to convert multiple 3rd downs. We know the Pack loves to do that, but their personnel are not as good as LY, and ours are better than LY. Maybe they won't prove to be as successful as last year's 15-15 for 110 yards to start the game.

If they are successful, it is predictable that we switch to press-man. They then switch to deeper routes, hoping that our front 7 are winded from the sideline-to-sideline chasing. Normally you might see BV throw a blitzer in to help get pressure on the QB, which they want; with press-man the safetys might also vacate the middle of the field to play over the top with our corners, which creates hot reads for the TE and RBs and difficult tackling for DBs alone.

So BV is going to keep rotating front four guys to keep them fresh so the LBs can play defense instead of chasing an unreachable QB. They have been playing pancakes, not defenses that can throw pass rushing waves at an OL.

I think Dabo and BV want these corners playing press-man with confidence in the CFP, and they have been playing it lately, but we still have to face 4 teams with good passing attacks in the regular season.

NCSt might be the toughest of the 4. Our DBs will need to cover well, tackle well, avoid DPI and stay healthy. The DL will get there quickly but not quick enough if we are going to lay back in passive zone.

confuse the qb on the slant by dropping a DE or LB

Oct 19, 2018, 10:11 PM

Into coverage for the pick or interception plus it held contain Finley on the run

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic