Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Clemson's fan base has changed...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

How Clemson's fan base has changed...

Dec 11, 2013, 2:50 PM

They now accept losing 5 years in a row to the Gamecocks. You have to be fairly young to accept the notion that we didn't beat good Gamecock teams in the past. This is an ignorant supposition and a clear attempt at rationalizing our inability to beat them now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to be fair

Dec 11, 2013, 2:51 PM

none of the generations have ever experienced such a thing to get all accepting or angry at.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the Gamecocks had not beaten us twice in a row since...

Dec 11, 2013, 2:56 PM

I was a toddler, i feel like I've got a pretty good sampling to understand the significance of losing 5 straight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Clemson's fan base has changed...

Dec 11, 2013, 2:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2013, 2:54 PM

gwp has a meme like that but it doesn't have a horse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with a picture of the Sansei himself

Dec 11, 2013, 2:57 PM

Master Batson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Let's put this to rest once and for all

Dec 11, 2013, 2:53 PM

the state legislature asked Dabo to take a dive in order to help the rivalry...

anyone who can't see this is blind

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Help the rivery?

Dec 11, 2013, 3:06 PM

You mean kill it. The rivery is all but dead. I don't see us beating the Gamecocks for at least three more years.

rivery? Is that where they breed rivers?***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:11 PM

What's Worse

Dec 11, 2013, 2:54 PM

is that the Administration and coaching staff accepts losing to South Carolina.

This is unchartered territory franc....

Dec 11, 2013, 2:56 PM

It ain't never happened before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Human coping mechanisms often contradict logic.

Dec 11, 2013, 2:59 PM

Lots of people aren't sure how to feel. We are still recovering from PTBSD and just stopped "Clemsoning" two years ago.

I'm curious how you define "acceptance" of this. If it means

Dec 11, 2013, 3:11 PM

not screaming about firing coaches and going in a different coaching direction then I'm a little lost. Does it mean simply not having lost these games? Because acceptance has nothing to do with that - it either happens or it doesn't, and it's happened, acceptance or not. Does acceptance mean no one should be happy about the Orange Bowl? Or any bowl in general for that matter? Would not accepting losing to SCar involve forgoing any postseason play and the extra practice sessions as a sign of displeasure?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You took my thoughts and expressed them better than I could.***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:16 PM

Acceptance involves rationalizing the loss...

Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I'm curious how you define "acceptance" of this. If it means ]

I keep hearing this bunk about how much better SCar is now than in the past. I will concede that they have had a good bit more consistency the last few years, but no way is this team unbeatable.

Subjectively, we have certainly had the better team the last two years, but yet again folded.

People claiming how close they were to winning their division this year. The SEC East is pathetic. The only reason they were close is the same reason we got selected to the Orange Bowl. I could not say that if he had beaten them, but having lost, it is true.

exactly how do we Accept it?

Dec 11, 2013, 6:12 AM

It's unacceptable. unfortunately there's nothing that we can do about it. We don't play or Coach. I think our players had too much pressure on them to win that game and maybe they pushed too hard and made some critical mistakes. Humphries didn't want to fumble that punt return but he was trying to make something positive happen for his team. It ultimately cost us the game but to assume us as a fan base just accept it is absurd. Clemson WILL win next season. Mark it down.

you mean unexceptable.... accept when we except it***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:15 PM

I take acception to those remarks!!*****

Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM

for those who actually do "mark it down"........

Dec 11, 2013, 3:20 PM [ in reply to exactly how do we Accept it? ]

i'd like to see how many "mark it downs" have been claimed since 2009..........I bet the numbers are overwhelming.

add this to the pile.

Re: for those who actually do "mark it down"........

Dec 11, 2013, 3:21 PM

If Dabo had a dollar for all the "mark it downs" since 2009, he could have paid Spurrier to let him win one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully so....

Dec 11, 2013, 3:21 PM [ in reply to exactly how do we Accept it? ]

I'm having to work extra hard this year. I pushed pretty hard two years ago. I was extremely annoying last year. I just didn't do a good enough job. I can assure you a lot of pain until we win.

Define good Gamecock teams.

Dec 11, 2013, 3:19 PM

I am 39. This is clearly the best run of Gamecock teams I've seen. Maybe the few years with Sharpe/Greene compare? I don't know. I don't accept losses to the Gamecocks, but I also understand and accept the reality they have had talented teams the last several years.

Re: Define good Gamecock teams.

Dec 11, 2013, 3:22 PM

We've recruited just as well or better than them and have done just as well or better than them over all. Them being better is not an excuse.

it's all relative!!!!!!!!! We're "supposedly"............

Dec 11, 2013, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Define good Gamecock teams. ]

the "best" we've been in YEEEEEEEEEEEEARRRRS.

they are better
we are better (supposedly)

don't give me the "south carolina is good" BS that holds no water...............especially considering the likes of kentucky, UCF, UT, and Vandy hung with them this year.............and 2 of those pathetic teams have managed at least 1 win over the last 5 years.

But that's not the reason we've lost....

Dec 11, 2013, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Define good Gamecock teams. ]

I have conceded the consistency of the Gamecocks the last few years.

When someone says Tommy Bowden only had a good record against them because they stunk, that's rationalizing. It isn't true. How did the teams Tommy faced compare to what Tommy had on the field.

The truth of the matter, in most of the games in this rivalry, there wasn't that much difference in the talent between the teams facing off.

Saying that they are just too good now is the fast track to accepting losing.

it wasn't until 2005 when Clemson "leveled" the playin field

Dec 11, 2013, 3:33 PM

in recruiting

South carolina recruited much better than clemson the majority of early 2000s.........ironically that's when our dominance was in it's hayday.

now talent wise the teams are pretty much equal year in and year out and we are getting beat by double digits EVERY YEAR for the last 5 years.

the south carolina is good excuse.........is just that......only it's a pathetic one.

Exactly right***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM

Dec 11, 2013, 3:24 PM

You Sir are a Carolina Troll or an idiot OR BOTH!! No True Clemson Supporter Wants to Lose to Carolina in Any Sport-Much Less Football..But there are More Important Goals like Winning the. Orange Bowl...Not Strange That this trolling came during Recruiting Season! Quit Showing your Feathers!!!!

Dec 11, 2013, 3:25 PM

Yep, you caught the coot Franc. Congratulations....

lmao

How could he fool us all these years...then this newbie

Dec 11, 2013, 3:31 PM

comes along and pegs him immediately?

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: How could he fool us all these years...then this newbie

Dec 11, 2013, 3:33 PM

Yeah no kidding.

No way a clemson fan could be ticked off about losing to the coots 5 in a row. How could we let him slip past us?

I am the son of a Clemson Athletic HOFer...

Dec 11, 2013, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: How Clemson's fan base has changed... ]

I hate losing to the coots and I hate excuse making.

LOL,

Dec 11, 2013, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: How Clemson's fan base has changed... ]

no really, I laughed out loud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anything about the fanbase has changed.

Dec 11, 2013, 3:26 PM

the only thing I think that has changed is the quality of football coming out of the midlands.

Re: I don't think anything about the fanbase has changed.

Dec 11, 2013, 3:34 PM

And so has the quality of football in Clemson. If the problem were the quality of football in the midlands we wouldn't have beaten lsu or UGA.

thats the truth

Dec 11, 2013, 3:35 PM [ in reply to I don't think anything about the fanbase has changed. ]

I hate losing to the gamecocks, at least we aint losing to an unranked 3 win gamecock team like the ones We bat up on for decades

So, if the Gamecocks are getting better...

Dec 11, 2013, 4:00 PM

and we're getting better, we're screwed.

Since 1971, the last time SCar beat us twice....

Dec 11, 2013, 4:29 PM [ in reply to thats the truth ]

SCar has had 3 or less wins exactly 4 times. Clemson 3.

Dec 11, 2013, 4:28 PM

Carolina has only won 7 or more games 25 times out of 110 or so years. Clemson has never beaten SC if we had more than 8 wins. That's happened 6 times. Out of the 25 years with 7 or more wins, the record is 18 wins for Carolina and 7 wins for Clemson. Clemson beat an 8 win Carolina 3 times and a 7 win team 4 times. So there is something to the statement that Clemson don't beat good Carolina teams. Carolina has won 72% of the games between Carolina and Clemson in years that they won 7 or more games.

Most of the last 43 years...

Dec 11, 2013, 4:37 PM

The year following SCar's last consecutive win streak, the teams have been fairly even as far as record goes.

26-16-1 in favor of Clemson

Dec 11, 2013, 4:39 PM

I love how this whole post is about the dangers of rationalizing losses...and then in subsequent posts there are guys doing the very thing you're talking about.

I agree, Franc. The "Carolina is better" crap not only doesn't make me feel better, but the double standard enrages me.

When we're beating up on Wake and Maryland, it's "we're so improved not to lose those games!"...but when we lose to FSU or SCAR, it's "they are much improved, yadda yadda."

I think it's time some fans started choosing correctly between reality and what makes them feel good.

On top of that....

Dec 11, 2013, 4:49 PM

They complain about ESPN SEC bias and turn around embrace the commentary they find favorable.

Re: On top of that....

Dec 11, 2013, 4:57 PM

I find it easier to just hate everyone. It cuts out a lot of the effort involved with cherry picking.

Lol***

Dec 11, 2013, 5:15 PM

Our program is as good as it's ever been in our history

Dec 11, 2013, 4:41 PM

right now. Their program is just a hair better right now. I hate losing to them but what do you propose we do?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our program is as good as it's ever been in our history

Dec 11, 2013, 4:48 PM

I can't make scheme changes or call plays.

But on the same token, I don't feel empowered at all by acting like this game doesn't mean much to me anymore just because they're winning.

I literally have dreams about beating them on a regular basis, most of which don't even occur during football season. That's how long it's been.

Sometimes, the only way to express what I'm feeling is to be pissed off at the coach, the staff and the rivals. That doesn't mean I don't think they haven't done a good job, that just means that's who I hold accountable for that unnecessary pain.

I disagree that they're a "hair better"

Dec 11, 2013, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Our program is as good as it's ever been in our history ]

As I said before they are as consistently good as they have ever been, I believe that.

We have lost 5 years in a row by double digits. Now if outcome is the only thing we're basing our assessment on, and if someone wants to do that, I can't rationally argue against it. I believe that's why you play the games. But, if that is our measurement, they're more than a "hair better."

I firmly believe, having watched all of their games and ours, there is no way they should have beaten us 5 years in a row.

If they are getting better and we are getting better and we can't beat them (other factors excluded) we are in big trouble. However, I think there are other factors.

I've got the outcomes and records of both teams the last 43 years (since the last time they beat us. Most of the years, including the past 5, the field is pretty level. I can't complain much about splitting a series with a team that is equal or better than you. It does concern me if a team that is equal to or better than you (or perhaps you are better than) beats you five years straight.

What can we do about it? Nothing really. But the rationalization by the bipolar fans is irritating and I will point it out. Now they're bragging about SCar not getting in a BCS game like that somewhat diminishes the five straight losses. Furthermore, they brag about getting into an Orange Bowl against an "overrated" OSU team that will beat us if we play like we did against the Gamecocks as if getting the Orange Bowl is somehow a big accomplishment running through an abysmal ACC.

Re: I disagree that they're a "hair better"

Dec 11, 2013, 5:12 PM

well said

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic