Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hot water heater
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Hot water heater

Nov 2, 2017, 10:22 AM

Need to replace a hot water heater. Started to leak. Guy quoted me upwards of 1300 to 1400. Thought that was way too high. Its a 40 gallon electric. Anybody know what an average price to replace one should be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a fairly simple repair...

Nov 2, 2017, 10:24 AM

Do it yourself.

If you're planning to stay in this house a long time, you should seriously consider a tankless hot water heater.

You'll be glad you did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It's a fairly simple repair...

Nov 2, 2017, 4:01 PM

Tankless if you are on natural gas. Electric tankless is a nightmare.

Re: Hot water heater

Nov 2, 2017, 10:26 AM

Prob 400 for a new decent one in the store, so that’s some pricey labor. Sounds high to me.

Do it yourself unless it’s in some awful location.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:27 AM

Actually had mine replaced yesterday as well. Mine was a 50 gallon gas heater & the cost was just under $1300.

Doesn't exactly answer your question

Nov 2, 2017, 10:27 AM

but check these out:
https://myheatworks.com/

Company located in Mt Pleasant, SC doing some cool stuff with hot water heater tech.
Not sure if you can hold out til December (maybe), but as an fyi their latest v3 model is $699.

I think it's funny when people say "hot water heater"

Nov 2, 2017, 10:28 AM

It's redundant. If the water was already hot, it wouldn't need to be heated

Ha ha, contractor humor ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's funny when people say "hot water heater"

Nov 2, 2017, 11:43 AM

Haha! This reminds me of when George Carlin made fun of adding unnecessary words....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fOtLfYC4Q

Nov 2, 2017, 1:06 PM

Lol, good one!

Nov 2, 2017, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I think it's funny when people say "hot water heater" ]

That’s some funny stuff right there

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 11:55 AM [ in reply to I think it's funny when people say "hot water heater" ]

Half the time it is heating hot water. Just not hot enough.

Nov 2, 2017, 1:06 PM

If you want to get technical, sure

But technically, it's really just a "water heater

Lol

Nov 2, 2017, 10:29 AM

Just recently someone I know had the same problem and got about the same quote as you but they went and got one at like Lowe's or Home Depot for about $400.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:29 AM

I would advise looking at prices at Lowes or HD. That is a high dollar water heater. Also ask what is the model number of the heater and compare cost and ask how much of that is material and how much is labor. The is also a landfill fee on water heaters that is more than you might think, but the stores charge that, so they can tell you the local cost.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:36 AM

The quote was for parts and labor.

Depends where you live. CA code and labor cost me

Nov 2, 2017, 10:32 AM

$1200 for 50 gallon this year.
4 yrs ago had a tankless installed in Charleston for $1800 after Obama rebates. Wish I had a tankless still!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 2, 2017, 10:39 AM

Way too high a price quote.
If you are not planning on staying in the house for any length of time then you can buy a decent WH from Lowes or HD for around $500, use some SharkBite connectors and be done with it.
If you do plan to stay then sweat the copper pipes (which is easy if you know how).
https://youtu.be/_flPle6ttMc

I used the SharkBite connectors.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:59 AM

They make the install a breeze. Replaced hard copper with sweat joints.

Re: I used the SharkBite connectors.

Nov 2, 2017, 11:04 AM

Supposedly they won't hold up after a few years and start to leak, but I've seen them last 5+ years.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Mine have in place for 5+ years. Have not leaked.

Nov 2, 2017, 11:12 AM

Knock on wood.

Nov 2, 2017, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Hot water heater ]

Right on the money ^^^^^^^^! I had to replace a 40 gallon short one in my crawl space several years ago. I bought it at Lowes for a little less than $400. Since I was working in a tight space (and didn't want to burn the house down) I used "shark bite" connectors and flexible water heater hoses. Make sure you know which breaker switch turns off the power to the heater (check with inexpensive tester .....bulbs light up when wire is hot) before disconnecting the power and re-attaching to the new one. Also a pretty good idea to know where your water isolation valves are and cut them off ot turn off the water at your meter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hows your cold water heater holding up

Nov 2, 2017, 10:40 AM

might need to check it as well

Recent federal energy standard changes went into effect in either 2016 or 2017 that requires all tank water heaters to now be insulated much more thank previous versions. A side effect of this change is a increase in size and cost. Often times water heaters are placed where there is very little room around the tank itself. So if you want the same capacity then you may have to change the location of the tank, which would also increase price as plumbers charge roughly $50/hr or more just for labor. There are so many factors to consider it is difficult to say if the quote you got was a good one. That said, if you plan to stay in the house a long time and you have a natural gas supply then I would also recommend a tankless. I just replaced a tank water heater that was in my attic (freaking time bomb) and replaced it with a tankless in my basement. I should see a drastic reduction in gas usage during the winter as the water heater won't be trying to keep water hot in a cold attic anymore. Just my two cents...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 10:42 AM

Also just remembered that last year plumbers were still allowed to install the older model water heaters if supply houses were still trying to get rid of their stock but I believe they no longer can in 2017

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tankless Is great for 2 people. But it is more

Nov 2, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Hot water heater ]

Maintenence as well .

It uses way more gas per gallon than tank, relatively speaking.

Family of 4 you are better off with tank, unless everyone takes 5 min showers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Get Some Quotes - price sounds way too high

https://www.hotwater.com/where-to-buy/search/

Nov 2, 2017, 11:18 AM

Made in good old McBee, SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

2 40 Gallon Electrics Completely Installed

Nov 2, 2017, 10:42 AM

And Waste Removed Cost me $2200 Last Year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get multiple quotes ... Homeowner Manual 101***

Nov 2, 2017, 10:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some good comments above. Think tankless if you have good

Nov 2, 2017, 10:44 AM

water quality. Lots of iffy comments out there on tankless on a well water system (they clog up). Replaced mine last year with conventional water heater. Bought it from Lowes for around $400. I have plastic piping so water connections (supply water in and hot water out) were easy glue joints. Also a 220 electrical connection, so 2 hot leads and the ground. No biggie.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:50 AM

we made our own water heater last winter because we did not want to pay the cost of a new one. All you need is a couple of empty kegs welded together and a bunson burner.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 11:00 AM

Should have gone solar and then placed it in the crawl space.

this site is fairly good at guessing a cost

Nov 2, 2017, 10:50 AM

https://www.homewyse.com/

https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_replace_hot_water_heater.html

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: this site is fairly good at guessing a cost

Nov 2, 2017, 10:59 AM

Am I missing something here?
29 hours to replace a Water Heater?
Not even if Jake Bentley was the plummer would it take even a third of that.

I agree. The 29 hours is crazy! Maybe he had to carry the

Nov 2, 2017, 1:43 PM

wh on his back to the dump, but still...................

Re: this site is fairly good at guessing a cost

Nov 2, 2017, 4:36 PM [ in reply to this site is fairly good at guessing a cost ]

Yeah ...... maybe in California!

Less than $350 for a 40 gallon electric water heater.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:54 AM

Maybe $25-30 more for pvc pipe and connectors. Mine rusted out 4-5 years ago and I replaced it without too much difficulty. Sold the old one for scrap.

You can do it.

$1300 to 1400 is way too much.

You need to do some real checking with several.......

Nov 2, 2017, 10:54 AM

plumbing companies - this bid is way too high for a standard 40 gallon tank.

I hear plumbers on the radio here in Atlanta advertising for 500-800 dollars.

You can't do this yourself? I've replaced at least four water heaters over the years but I have strong plumbing and electrical skills. But it's not that hard. Go to HD or Lowe's and get one and do it yourself or find a buddy with the necessary skills who will help you.

Just check around first - do your homework so you don't get taken by somebody.

I work for a company that does this

Nov 2, 2017, 11:05 AM

Our average install price on a 50gal is $1,250. Our cost on the heater is #350. Takes two guys, one is typically a certified plumber, the other is an apprentice. Takes 2 to 3 hours install time, not including drive time. Warehouse employees unload water heaters from delivery trucks and load into Plumber van. Plumber service truck costs about $50k, then there's fuel, insurance. Tools and other materials needed. Our employees have, matching tax expenses, health insurance, 401k, vacation and sick pay, and uniforms. We pay people to manage these employees, answer phones from customers, and administrate payroll, accounting, and IT. Our owners like to make a slight profit.

do it yourself if you can, but good luck!

Re: I work for a company that does this

Nov 2, 2017, 12:29 PM

Is gas more expensive or cheaper? I'm actually sitting here getting mine replaced right now in Marietta GA. It's running me a little more than your price, but they have to bring my gas line up to code...

Yes, with the current cost of natural gas it's cheaper......

Nov 2, 2017, 12:56 PM

than electric.

Have to keep some of the old all-electric rates in mind

Nov 2, 2017, 1:47 PM

before changing to gas. The power rate can go up pretty significantly if were on one of the all electric rates.

Yes, gas will be more expensive

Nov 2, 2017, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I work for a company that does this ]

About an additional $75 on a 50gal heater, and more on labor due to gas lines and flu. My company is in the Atlanta area if you'd like a comparative quote.

Then why pay you to subsidize all of your costs.........

Nov 2, 2017, 1:01 PM [ in reply to I work for a company that does this ]

if it can be done by the homeowner? It doesn't take "luck" if you have solid mechanical and electrical or gas skills. Now, if you're all thumbs, then I agree to let the pros do it.

But if you've got good mechanical aptitude this is something you (and a friend) can do. Sure beats shelling out the big bucks to pay a plumber.

Luckily, my father taught me how to do these kinds of things when I was growing up. Always believed in doing something yourself (within reason) before you pay somebody else to.

Re: Then why pay you to subsidize all of your costs.........

Nov 2, 2017, 2:52 PM

What a ridiculous comment. You subsidize the costs of literally everything you buy. It's amazing to me that people start to ask questions about the raw material costs whenever someone is willing to be somewhat flexible about pricing. You pay a premium to have a professional handle things quickly and with a guarantee of correct service. It should be obvious they will charge more than you would pay to install it yourself with a mutli-tool and elbow grease. There is a reason those guys are in business and it's probably not because they are more than a 25 percent markup over the next plumber.

Re: I work for a company that does this

Nov 2, 2017, 4:42 PM [ in reply to I work for a company that does this ]

I don't blame certified plumbers for charging what they have to do this for people who have no way or skill, or inclination, to do it themselves. Honestly, plumbing is mostly common sense and if you do enough of it, it is not too hard to learn. I am sure there are a lot of little "tricks" that I do not know, but I have done everything from plumbing the new island in our home to recently installing two new toilets (about an hour each).

Nov 2, 2017, 11:38 AM

I would go ahead and pay a little more for a tankless.
I just built a house and went with one and love it.
No more rusted out tanks.

Nov 2, 2017, 11:44 AM

Buy the water heater yourself and get a reputable handy man to install it. Should save you around $400
to $500 dollars.

Yes too high. Where do you live?***

Nov 2, 2017, 11:46 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 2, 2017, 11:59 AM

If your going to be in your house more than 5 years go tankless. Otherwise $1,400 isn’t unheard of.

Nov 2, 2017, 12:04 PM

I had a 40 gallon electric installed by a local plumber in January and it was $800 total. I'm in the Florence area.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 4:44 PM

The one in my basement closet just turned 35 years old and still working fine. I have replaced the anode rod twice and the elements a couple of times, so at least the older ones last a pretty good while!

Nov 2, 2017, 12:33 PM

If it is gas, 1300 is about right. Electric should be under 600.

First, you go pick - and pick up - the water heater

Nov 2, 2017, 12:46 PM

and knock out that profit margin. Get his quote for labor and guaranteed correct installation. Should do it for about 400 or less, include disposal of old here also.

Nov 2, 2017, 1:07 PM

Did it myself for under $500. Pretty easy job.

This is what I got

Nov 2, 2017, 1:21 PM

Bought it $349, called a plumber to price installation, he charged $300. Works great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-40-Gal-Medium-6-Year-4500-4500-Watt-Elements-Electric-Water-Heater-XE40M06ST45U1/205810725

no need to heat water thats already hot***

Nov 2, 2017, 1:59 PM

Nov 2, 2017, 2:09 PM

Hubby and I having this conversation yesterday as just noticed our gas water heater is leaking. I didn't know that you could buy a tankless for gas. So everyone thinks the tankless is definitely the best?
With gas we have really enjoyed that you still have hot water even when power goes out.

Nov 2, 2017, 2:40 PM

Tankless gas doesn't work without electricity but a small generator can power it.

Nov 2, 2017, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Hot water heater ]

Tankless usually doesn't pay for itself.

It is more expensive to install, more expensive to maintain, and only slightly cheaper to run.

Tankless isn't better than a tank. It has positives and negatives.

Last time I did the calculation, the break even point was around 20 years on a unit with a 15 year life expectancy.

This is with professional installation of both.

If you can install the tank yourself, then the break even point is closer to 30 years.

Message was edited by: castaway®

Nov 2, 2017, 3:49 PM

Seems a bit high to me. I had mine replaced and it was around $550.

cold water heater..why heat hot water?***

Nov 2, 2017, 4:16 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Nov 2, 2017, 5:21 PM

You don't need a heater for hot water.

Nov 2, 2017, 5:41 PM

The tankless heater advertises instant hot water. What you have to remember, is depending on the location of the unit you will notice no difference in the delivery of hot water to the location demanding hot water due to purging the line of all cold water.

There is no standard price for replacing a water heater. Many factors will come into play depending on the age of the house and the location of the water heater. If you are reasonably handy you can perform the task yourself. Often you can save quite a bit of money by purchasing a scratch/dent unit. They will carry the same warranty as a new one.

Nov 2, 2017, 6:03 PM

Depends on what he puts in. I have a pile of pre Obama reg 40s that I paid. $205 each for. My commercial account price on my heater in my house was about $600. Is it a regular heater? A marathon heater? A heat pump?

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic