Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hot Rod confusion...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,789

Hot Rod confusion...

Oct 27, 2013, 12:21 PM

Maybe this is just me, but has anyone else noticed that when Hot Rod gets some open space, he seems to almost slow down and hesitate? So many times yesterday he would get 5-6 yards out of what could have easily been 8-10 yards. I know he's not a big guy, but he's got pretty good speed. I am just surprised that he doesn't hit those holes with more acceleration. Again, maybe it's me, but I was baffled by that yesterday. That said, I know he finished with a good stat line. I just feel like it should have been even better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

i've noticed it all year and i think that it's either one or

Oct 27, 2013, 12:25 PM

two things. He either has a lack of vision or is surprised that there are holes there when they are there....or both. Brooks and Howard take the handoff, commit to getting behind the pads and getting upfield with some violence to their runs. Brooks especially makes the defender fight him on the most simple tackles. If you watch him closely, there is always a final move upfield with him even if it's just twisting forward to get another half of a yard.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hot Rod confusion...

Oct 27, 2013, 12:40 PM

I think it's worked both ways at times. Sometimes he makes a move or is patient and waits for a hole to open and breaks off more yardage. Other times there is space, he pauses and it closes up. The understandable frustration is those latter times when the space is there for a first down and he doesn't just put his pads down and fight for it. I bet recognizing that is something the coaches are working on with him. If he can get that figured out, and I think he can, he'll be a more complete back.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He does not have that burst that AE had. He's a good back

Oct 27, 2013, 1:19 PM

but he lacks that extra gear to get out of the second level and into real broken space

He simply doesnt put his head down and get what he can.....

Oct 27, 2013, 1:27 PM

on numerous occasions. instead he chooses to hesitate, stutter around, and let the defense close on him often resulting in gains of 3-4 yards less than what they should be. He often loses yards he has already gained too, i.e. taking us out of FG range against FSU.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a reason hes a 1st yr starter as a

Oct 27, 2013, 1:30 PM

5th year Sr

I Don't Think Hot Rod is playing at 100 % Health

Oct 27, 2013, 1:56 PM

He doesn't have the same quickness or speed he had earlier this season.

Oct 27, 2013, 2:21 PM

yup, this is why he rarely finds the endzone, he can not get out of his own way. It did seem to click in the second half for him though, hopefully he can take that confidence into the next game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may be vision , it likes he has to ...

Oct 27, 2013, 2:31 PM

stutter step to look around ,and sitting in the west zone , it is easy for me see a lot of holes that he has missed over the last few weeks in the valley..the great backs have the great vision .... I am sure Hot Rod is doing the best he can with all he's got , he just needs to hang in there and keep running hard, his breaks will come ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he weren't so confused he may have averaged more than the

Oct 27, 2013, 2:54 PM

nearly 5.4 ypc and over 200 for the day instead of 160.

Oct 27, 2013, 3:01 PM

Yep, that's the difference between a 3 star back vs. a 4-5 star, those other guys pick up 10 yards or more on those plays. I was glad to see him get 160 yards and wish him the best the rest of the season.

Hot rod was a 4 star coming out of hs

Oct 27, 2013, 3:50 PM

He has talent. Sometimes his decision making is sub par

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,789
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic